"TITLE RACE" ( There is no sense not talking about it)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The funny thing is, amongst Spurs fans before today we were 5 points off top and in the title race.

Yet after today and if Liverpool lose tomorrow, we are still 5 points off top yet NOT in the title race.

Can't win really.

You can make that 6 points with GD...It's not even that likely that ONE of City or Pool are going to drop 6 points from now until the end of the season but we need(ed) BOTH of them to. But say they both did we would still need to win ALL of our games which given our performances is just not happening! Fivethirtyeight has us finishing 14 points of 1st!

You can make that 6 points with GD...It's not even that likely that ONE of City or Pool are going to drop 6 points from now until the end of the season but we need(ed) BOTH of them to. But say they both did we would still need to win ALL of our games which given our performances is just not happening! Fivethirtyeight has us finishing 14 points of 1st!

You're not wrong and it'll be very tough (almost unrealistic) - but the distance would have been exactly the same had we won today and Liverpool won tomorrow..

But anyone who believed before today wouldn't have said any different is what I am getting at - the loss is horrible and it'll feel even worse if Liverpool lose tomorrow because we could have been TWO points off.

You're not wrong and it'll be very tough (almost unrealistic) - but the distance would have been exactly the same had we won today and Liverpool won tomorrow..

But anyone who believed before today wouldn't have said any different is what I am getting at - the loss is horrible and it'll feel even worse if Liverpool lose tomorrow because we could have been TWO points off.

Yeah OK we would still be in the same situation if we had won and Pool lost. But maybe those believers would realised how hard it is to win every single game, or maybe that we are bit lucky to have as many points as we have.

You said before that you need a lot of luck to win any league but I would disagree with that. Yeah there is a huge amount of variance in any given match but over 38 games the team at the top is usually the best and deserves to win the title. We haven't been close to Pool or City in terms of performances this season imo.

Too many things have been against us this year to mount a serious title challenge but if we add a few top quality players in key positions, manage to keep our best players fit and make NWHL a fortress then maybe next year will be our year.

Last edited:
To all the negative Spurs fans. Listen to this, this is an ex pro talking about how fans attitudes can affect the team in more ways than you believe:

Owen: Tottenham fans need to change 'Spursy' attitude

Get behind your team!

Have to agree with him, as a group of supporters we always seem to find the negatives, sure it doesn’t help with results like today but I can’t help but think that some of the players do get the impression from supporters that they don’t believe we are good enough to win things.

We need to build a siege mentality at the club and actually, as supporters, start believing we can win.

That being said, I truly believed we would win comfortably today even after we went 1-0 down so yeah, I can’t say I believed it would end like it did against Burnley.

People who think we bottle a title race in February clearly don't remember lasagne... We'll cunt it up far more spectacularly than losing away to Burnley with games to spare. .

You can close this thread, even if dippers lose tomorrow. We won’t win the title by losing to fucking Burnleys when we should have won. I thought the players learned from the Wolves game but it seems they haven’t.

You can close this thread, even if dippers lose tomorrow. We won’t win the title by losing to fucking Burnleys when we should have won. I thought the players learned from the Wolves game but it seems they haven’t.

Batshuayi scored today... But we didn't need someone like him..

Have to agree with him, as a group of supporters we always seem to find the negatives, sure it doesn’t help with results like today but I can’t help but think that some of the players do get the impression from supporters that they don’t believe we are good enough to win things.

We need to build a siege mentality at the club and actually, as supporters, start believing we can win.

That being said, I truly believed we would win comfortably today even after we went 1-0 down so yeah, I can’t say I believed it would end like it did against Burnley.

The supporters need to start believing in the club more instead of fall back on cheap digs when it doesn't come off. We've taken huge steps over the past 3-4 years and if there's one thing I can't stand more than an Woolwich fan it's a piss taking Tottenham fan. It doesn't help the club at all, it's poison

Draw is the best result for us now really, would only put pool 6 points ahead and only allow for United to gain 1 point on us.

Also, if we can’t win the league I don’t want the dippers winning it, anybody but them or Woolwich.

If we focus on trying to beat our record points total for a Premier League season and have that as a target it would have been a great season of improvement. 33 points to play for 27 points needed to get our highest total I can't see how anyone could not see that as improvement.

A minimum of 27 points and a run in the Champions League and we can look forward to next season back in N17. Well on course for achieving yet another record season under Poch

If we focus on trying to beat our record points total for a Premier League season and have that as a target it would have been a great season of improvement. 33 points to play for 27 points needed to get our highest total I can't see how anyone could not see that as improvement.

A minimum of 27 points and a run in the Champions League and we can look forward to next season back in N17. Well on course for achieving yet another record season under Poch

Would be nice to get to the semis of the CL, would be a great achievement for our club.

I agree with you completely btw.

Would be nice to get to the semis of the CL, would be a great achievement for our club.

I agree with you completely btw.

For people who say we've regressed, we can still lose 2 games and beat our record points in a Premier League season. Goes to show how far we've come when people see this year as a disappointing one. We are making the right steps, going in he right direction and it's all about year on year improvement.

Semi finals of the Champions League and 87 points would be an amazing season. Trophy or not I'd love to see everyone get behind the boys, give us every chance of achieving so or better

Back
Top Bottom