Kieran Trippier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Biggest weakness in the team since Walker left and Rose has been often injured is the full backs.
Trippier and Davies not good enough against the top 6 and Aurier is a liability/mistake prone.
Bringing in new LB & RB should be top priority.

I fucking hate when ppl paint with wide brush and talk like Davies and Trippier are the same They effin are not !! I agree that Davies has had a bad season now but last year he was more effective than Rose ever has been across the whole season (plus he is versatile and can play CB, so I can guarantee he is going nowhere under Poch and would not go if we were manged with other competent coaches )

With Tripps, it is different. Those brainfarts have become way too often!!! And this season on the attacking half he has been absolutely useless. Just checking it back or fucking up crosses. We will need at least one new RB in summer. Unfortunately I am not too confident in KWP either. Soon already 22 and physically still not ready for EPL (only in back 5) so I would not mind selling them 3 for like 80 mil and buy two replacements.

Looks to me like Trippier was calling Lloris to come to him only to then pass it where Lloris was previously - but I'd still probably blame them both.

We move on.

He definitely shows Lloris the ball, which is a 'collect' signal to me, but he then doesn't look at Lloris until after the pass, which he places where Lloris *was*. Tripps needed to decide if he wants it collected or is going to pass it, but he did both. Lloris could have shouted, but didn't and that's weak. Ultimately, he didn't have the ball, so it's on Tripps.

We all know he's got a world-class cross in him, but I haven't seen it for a while now. I'm starting to side with the ones calling for change.

He definitely shows Lloris the ball, which is a 'collect' signal to me, but he then doesn't look at Lloris until after the pass, which he places where Lloris *was*. Tripps needed to decide if he wants it collected or is going to pass it, but he did both. Lloris could have shouted, but didn't and that's weak. Ultimately, he didn't have the ball, so it's on Tripps.

We all know he's got a world-class cross in him, but I haven't seen it for a while now. I'm starting to side with the ones calling for change.

One thing I've increasingly noticed is Trippiers body language on the ball, it's all wrong. And as he doesn't want to use his left foot, it regularly means he has to pass back.

If a defender isn't sitting off him to whip a cross in, he won't do so and doesn't have the ability to beat the man with pace and power and then knock a cross in. So whilst we do aim to get the ball to our right side to him, he then slows down the attack or recycles the ball due to his positioning.

Also doesn't help that the next pass the then makes is to Sissoko.

I fucking hate when ppl paint with wide brush and talk like Davies and Trippier are the same They effin are not !! I agree that Davies has had a bad season now but last year he was more effective than Rose ever has been across the whole season (plus he is versatile and can play CB, so I can guarantee he is going nowhere under Poch and would not go if we were manged with other competent coaches )

With Tripps, it is different. Those brainfarts have become way too often!!! And this season on the attacking half he has been absolutely useless. Just checking it back or fucking up crosses. We will need at least one new RB in summer. Unfortunately I am not too confident in KWP either. Soon already 22 and physically still not ready for EPL (only in back 5) so I would not mind selling them 3 for like 80 mil and buy two replacements.

I think Davies played just the one game at CB and did ok but it was in a game that we dominated so wasn’t put under any pressure

I agree mate, he isn’t good enough to be a first choice FB at this club if we want to achieve big things.

I said in another thread all our FBs need replacing bar Rose (and even he isn’t consistent enough but at least he has some talent and can influence games.)
If our midfield is sorted then I've no issues with Davies, he has proved he is capable even taking into account his limitations, using him as an example though, with a less dominant midfield his limitations are magnified. The issues get magnified further with Tripps who is hampered with little technical ability and athletic ability to perform like a modern FB.

I think Davies played just the one game at CB and did ok but it was in a game that we dominated so wasn’t put under any pressure

Davies has played 3 games for us this season at centre back. We kept a cleansheet in every single one of them. Whilst two of those games were Burnley (H) and Tranmere (A) - he also started in the North London Derby in the cup when we won 2-0.

Versatile and relatively solid a defender. More than happy to keep him around.

I agree...rotation is fucking them...remember when rose was out a lot last year and Ben came in for 18 or so games and was immense? Same with aurier...it's like he fucking forgets what to do if he don't play every week.
Cannot complain that players are tired or need a stronger squad and then say do not rotate. Most of our rotation this season has been forced on us by injuries. Vertonghen would have been where Toby was if playing but injured.
Do not think the problem yesterday was rotation or tiredness but lack of creativity. Eriksen is our main creator of chances but he was ineffective and without him and Kane lacking fitness, Dele injured and Son playing out of position (should be on left if Kane playing) there was very little goal chances.

Davies has played 3 games for us this season at centre back. We kept a cleansheet in every single one of them. Whilst two of those games were Burnley (H) and Tranmere (A) - he also started in the North London Derby in the cup when we won 2-0.

Versatile and relatively solid a defender. More than happy to keep him around.

So like I said all three games we dominated
If Poch does see him as a CB then ok

But not at FB for me

We had our highest ever points total this season. If we had our points this season, a couple of seasons ago we’d have been top of the league for a chunk of it.
FWIW after 29 games we have scored the exact same number of games as then but have conceded 8 more goals, we are also 1 point better off this year than that year by comparison (won 20 lost 8 compared to then W17 D8 L3), then we were 10pts behind Chavs after 29 games, meaning we would still be in 2nd but 9pts behind.

Trippier, like a fair few of our squad, just needs to be relied on less - he should not realistically be first choice right back, although the way he’s rotated maybe he’s not. Seems odd though that he did not play at Burnley. Was he injured ?

Overall like a lot of our current squad it’s time to move on and freshen up. It’s all a little stale, when it’s up it’s very up, but when it’s down you can see it’s the same old problems and no amount of coaching or head doctoring can create winning aggression when it’s not there.

We had our highest ever points total this season. If we had our points this season, a couple of seasons ago we’d have been top of the league for a chunk of it.

Do you ever actually change your mind about a player? They seem to immediately be put in one of two categories and never moved:

Category 1) Brain dead bumblers, such as Walker, Dele and Son

Category 2) Sun shines out of their arse - Trippier, Bentaleb and Lamela fall into this category.

How do you decide which player goes into each category? Toss of the coin?

Last edited:
Do you ever actually change your mind about a player? They seem to immediately be put in one of two categories and never moved:

Category 1) Brain dead bumblers, such as Walker, Dele and Son

Category 2) Sun shines out of their arse - Trippier, Bentaleb and Lamela fall into this category.

How do you decide which player goes into each category? Toss of the coin?

You forgot Sissoko!!

Davies has been a quality player for us in the past. He's just had a bad season. Trippier on the other hand is just a defensive liability.

All our defenders have looked shite since we moved away from Dier/Wanyama/Dembele in the centre of our 4231/343 and towards this diamond 442 with Sissoko and Winks. The balance is just not there and it exposes all our limitations. Combined with the number of injuries it’s a killer.

Not signing a powerhouse CM was the biggest mistake we’ve made for a long time, we cannot defend properly without one.

All our defenders have looked shite since we moved away from Dier/Wanyama/Dembele in the centre of our 4231/343 and towards this diamond 442 with Sissoko and Winks. The balance is just not there and it exposes all our limitations. Combined with the number of injuries it’s a killer.

Not signing a powerhouse CM was the biggest mistake we’ve made for a long time, we cannot defend properly without one.
You're not wrong. The only time a diamond midfield works is when the opposition doesn't expect it and doesn't plan for it. But that doesn't change the fact that Trippier has ALWAYS been a defensive liability.

Back
Top Bottom