Messi - The greatest player ever?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You know you must be alright when the entire stadium (opposition, Betis) give you a standing ovation whilst you are getting pumped. His free-kick was great, the problem with it is he does it so often he's made it "normal" but the 4th was simply beautiful.

You know you must be alright when the entire stadium (opposition, Betis) give you a standing ovation whilst you are getting pumped. His free-kick was great, the problem with it is he does it so often he's made it "normal" but the 4th was simply beautiful.

Must only be a select few footballers who have been clapped off by opposition fans.

Off the top of my head I can only think of Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.

I'm sure Pele will say it happened to him every game.

Must only be a select few footballers who have been clapped off by opposition fans.

Off the top of my head I can only think of Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.

I have only ever seen one performance live by a player that single-handedly destroyed us and that was Rooney for Utd at the Lane. We actually were playing OK, remained competitive and more than matched our own and across the pitch, the 1v1 battles were evenly contested BUT whenever Rooney got on the ball we couldn't get near him and he was absolutely everywhere (dropping into midfield, playing up front, spinning out into wide areas). I've taken a quick glance at the games and I can't isolate it amongst all the other losses but if memory serves it was a Redknapp team.

I thought Messi's performance against us at Wembley this season was devastatingly special too.

But whilst I can openly acknowledge brilliance when I see it, I've not been moved enough to applaud the player whilst my team is getting tonked.

That 4th one is mental. But my favorite moment in the video is at 8:10

Zidane in the world cup QF vs Brazil was pretty much applauded by the Brazilians after the game.

How people debate Ronaldo v Messi is beyond me. Guy is on another level to all his contemporaries and arguably all before him. Was too young to see Pele, Cruyff, Maradona, etc, - privilleged to see this guy.

I was always told that Maradona was better, and that Messi would not survive at his time. Used to believe that, but tonight, this guy convinced me not only is he the best player in history, but the 2nd place is not even close to him... An absolute privilege to have been alive at the time that he plays and watch his magic year after year after year, even if he messed us up once.

How people debate Ronaldo v Messi is beyond me. Guy is on another level to all his contemporaries and arguably all before him. Was too young to see Pele, Cruyff, Maradona, etc, - privilleged to see this guy.

I caught the tail end of Maradona’s career and he was clearly also a very special player. Watched lots of archive footage of him and in his prime he was absolutely incredible.

The key phrase there is ‘in his prime’. Messi has been in his prime from being a teenager to being in his 30s. He’s never not been in his prime.

I was always told that Maradona was better, and that Messi would not survive at his time. Used to believe that, but tonight, this guy convinced me not only is he the best player in history, but the 2nd place is not even close to him... An absolute privilege to have been alive at the time that he plays and watch his magic year after year after year, even if he messed us up once.

Maradona at his best was as good, if not better than Messi. Very marginal. What isn’t marginal is Messi’s consistency.

Maradona was a sort of Tevez-Messi hybrid that had genius and bite.

Messi is an artist with a sense of selflessness and integrity.

Ronaldo is a greasy rapist (allegedly).

Not bad this lad.... Reminds me of this kid that used to play for Canvey Island in the old conference south.

...Bit more rough and tumble down there, mind.

I never said it before on any football forum as I prefer to stay away from the rivalry between Ronaldo and Messi fans but Messi is without a doubt the best player in the world. For me he has always been better than Ronaldo.

People think by saying Messi is the best ever you are having a dig at Ronaldo, but it's nothing to do with that, he's just unreal. Firstly, how fucking good is he at everything? He scores more free kicks a season than some strikers get goals.

He has evolved as well. When he was younger he could run at you all day, take you on. Now his top end pace isn't quite the same he has adapted and somehow become even more effective.

In 2-4 years time he could easily do what Giggs did but better and drop in midfield and just spray passes round.

Back
Top Bottom