Tottenham v Newcastle (Sunday 25 August 16.30)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sounds like Sonny could be on fire on Sunday.

I love the way Poch goes off on a complete loony tunes when someone asks him about 'experimentation', rather than attempting to understand, let alone answer the question - 12:22min.

Won't talk about Mike Dean, with a small hint of a smile behind the veil of professionalism hahahahaa.

Aaaargh - he pronounces it Lo Chelso aaargh. 22:50.

Sounds like Sunday's team sheet won't contain any surprises.

Just go with Sissoko-Winks midfield 2 then please.

Lloris
KWP - Alderweireld - Sanchez - Rose
Sissoko - Winks
Lucas - Lamela - Eriksen
Kane​
I'd mostly go with that, except I'd have Son instead of Eriksen, on the grounds that he could wreak havoc in their defence.. CE could come on later, if necessary.
I'd also seriously consider Jan V instead of Sanchez, but who am I to say what's going on behind closed doors at the training ground? Poch knows best.

I'd mostly go with that, except I'd have Son instead of Eriksen. CE could come on later, if necessary.
I'd also seriously consider Jan V instead of Sanchez, but who am I to say what's going on behind closed doors at the training ground? Poch knows best.

One of Son or Lucas for me - I've opted for Lucas simply due to his goal and assist output so far this season and the fact Son hasn't played any competitive football so far this season. He can come on later and cause havoc and fight to get back in the team.

If I was to bring Vertonghen back in, it'd be for Alderweireld if anyone - but personally I don't think our back four should be changed. They need consistent game time together to get used to eachother as the season goes on. Especially with KWP in there.

Something is wrong.
50 injuries in a season is unheard of for one club

There are players out injured who were not injured when the last season ended ffs
Reminds me of that time Jan came off with a head injury against Ajax looked seriously bad, thankfully it wasn't but imagine if it had been?

The way that our medical staff reacted was incredibly incompetent.

Think I may have a better chant for Mr. Dean. Better, because it's a bit more 'London'.

To the tune of 'Knees Up Mother Brown', and sung with fingers pointing at the offender, every time he comes close:

You know what you are,*
You know what you are,*
You know, you know,
You know, you know,
You know what you are.*

*There is the option to add a suitable obscenity at the end, or after each asterisk. My own personal preference is for the C word.
Can't we just sing (To the tune of North London is ours)

We know what you are.....
We know what you aaarre.....
Mike Dean
We know what you are.

Folks can get as creative as they like with the third line.....

Last edited:
If Ndombele's out, this is the perfect opportunity for Lo Celso.

Lloris
KWP-------TA----------DS----------Rose

Winks-----------Skipp----------Lo Celso

Lamela----------Kane---------Eriksen​

Unfortunately, Poch has said Lo Celso is no where near ready to start.

If Ndombele's out, this is the perfect opportunity for Lo Celso.

Lloris
KWP-------TA----------DS----------Rose

Winks-----------Skipp----------Lo Celso

Lamela----------Kane---------Eriksen​

After Poch has repeated that lo Celso was given an extended holiday and had basically not trained before transferring to Spurs...........absolutely nobody should expect him to start.

Might start after the international break.....maybe but let's see in a couple of weeks.

With that set up your choice is Sissoko or Dier......atm I'd suggest Poch will choose the former

Is that side then too defensive ? Maybe get rid of a CM and include Son or Moura instead........

One of Son or Lucas for me - I've opted for Lucas simply due to his goal and assist output so far this season and the fact Son hasn't played any competitive football so far this season. He can come on later and cause havoc and fight to get back in the team.

why should son fight to be in the team. this is absolute bollocks. kane and eriksen did not this season.

Son was the most important attacking player last season. you must be joking surely that he needs to fight for his spot again.

If Son was injured one year and Lamela scored 20 goals, we would not be here saying oh lamela needs to fight for his spot lol.

nonsense. utter nonsense. Son should be back on the team starting line up with no second questions ask. the same way eriksen kane and alli are always first names on the team sheets when they return. and son was not even injured.

why should son fight to be in the team. this is absolute bollocks. kane and eriksen did not this season.

Son was the most important attacking player last season. you must be joking surely that he needs to fight for his spot again.

If Son was injured one year and Lamela scored 20 goals, we would not be here saying oh lamela needs to fight for his spot lol.

nonsense. utter nonsense. Son should be back on the team starting line up with no second questions ask. the same way eriksen kane and alli are always first names on the team sheets when they return. and son was not even injured.

No one should be guaranteed a spot in the team. Not even Son. With Ndombele now injured, it'd probably be a good chance as any to get back in the team though. I'd personally always start him over Lucas as he's a much better player - but I'm not sure how you can drop Lucas right now. It's exactly why I didn't cry when both Eriksen and Vertonghen were dropped for the opening game.

It's weird that people cry when Kane comes straight back into the team when we're doing well without him now all of a sudden Son is available and he should be guaranteed a spot instantly.

He hasn't played a competitive game of football since the 1st of June. It's probably not smart to throw in someone who isn't match fit against a team willing to sit back.

If I was to bring Vertonghen back in, it'd be for Alderweireld if anyone - but personally I don't think our back four should be changed. They need consistent game time together to get used to each other as the season goes on. Especially with KWP in there.

The problem with the "Son hasn't played any competitive football so far this season" argument is that if you keep not playing him then it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
Surely getting at least 45 minutes into Son before the NLD is vital ... we are at the stage in our development that whilst "play each game as it comes" is still important three points is still three points after all, preparing for the big six games that will eventually decide our season has to be a priority ...
We should beat Newcastle with any number of combination of players, but what we must do is get the best eleven ready to be on the pitch next weekend. Going with Davies, Vertongen and Son gives them a run out

Lloris
KWP - Vertongen - Sanchez - Davies
Sissoko - Winks - Lo Celso
Lamela - Son
Kane

Eriksen, Lucas and Danny as game changers from the bench if needed, and if all goes well maybe some minutes for Dier, Dele and Skipp instead

No one should be guaranteed a spot in the team. Not even Son. With Ndombele now injured, it'd probably be a good chance as any to get back in the team though. I'd personally always start him over Lucas as he's a much better player - but I'm not sure how you can drop Lucas right now. It's exactly why I didn't cry when both Eriksen and Vertonghen were dropped for the opening game.

It's weird that people cry when Kane comes straight back into the team when we're doing well without him now all of a sudden Son is available and he should be guaranteed a spot instantly.

He hasn't played a competitive game of football since the 1st of June. It's probably not smart to throw in someone who isn't match fit against a team willing to sit back.

I would agree with that if Son was off form but he was out due to suspension. He deserves a chance in the starting line up first. If he plays like shite then just take him off for Lucas or whoever and let him fight for his position again. He was on fire end of last season.

Back
Top Bottom