Kieran Trippier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

With all due respect Sammy as I do like you as a poster mate but Atletico play in a far less competitive league than the PL currently is and Trippiers 3 competitive games for them to date are against Getafe (H), Leganes (A) & Eibar (H). It's definitely far too early and his opposition far too limited to make claim that he's tearing it up IMO.

I never minded Trippier, he was a good solider for us and seemed very professional but as a football or more so what I like to see in a modern day fullback I think he had limitations that prevented us from taking positive steps forward. In hindsight was selling him and not brining in a suitable replacement shirt sighted? Possibly & time will tell but I do think that in time if Foyth is trusted there which I think he will be that his dribbling ability will offer a new dimension to our right hand side.

Tripps is 3 games in against 3 not so great challenges so far. Yes you can only beat what's in front of you but all in all apart from the Newcastle result all of our results have been very good so let's see how things settle down once players return from injury and once Trippier gets to about dozen games in before we see who got the rawer deal but as always I appreciate your opinion pal.

It’s a case of if he started out shit, it wouldn’t be too early for people to talk about how we mugged off Atletico would it?

People mocked the Napoli rumours.....”how come no good club has come in for him....why isn’t he buying a house in Italy?”

Well because he was buying one in Spain.

That 3 team league isn’t a problem when everyone wants to get a stiffy because Messi nutmegged some two bob defender from the mighty Osasuna now is it.....

Trippier is a good player. He had a poor season.
That’s the only story to be had here.

Meanwhile, Sanchez is our new RB and apparently we are better off. Laughable.

It’s a case of if he started out shit, it wouldn’t be too early for people to talk about how we mugged off Atletico would it?

People mocked the Napoli rumours.....”how come no good club has come in for him....why isn’t he buying a house in Italy?”

Well because he was buying one in Spain.

That 3 team league isn’t a problem when everyone wants to get a stiffy because Messi nutmegged some two bob defender from the mighty Osasuna now is it.....

Trippier is a good player. He had a poor season.
That’s the only story to be had here.

Meanwhile, Sanchez is our new RB and apparently we are better off. Laughable.

Sanchez isn't our new RB though is he. Aurier, KWP, Foyth & Dier who can all play at RB were apparently not fit enough Sunday (I said Aurier because he's not even made the bench for the previous 2 games so something must be up with him be it a potential transfer that didn't materialise, poor fitness, attitude etc).

I don't recall people mocking his move to Napoli, I actually thought that would be a decent move for all concerned, he is a World Cup Semi finalist and a Champions League finalist after all mate.

For me Trippier added no long term value in how I'd like the team to play. I actually think we have a higher ceiling with KWP but as you know sometimes potential isn't fulfilled. Sanchez at RB was due to injuries, we all know he wouldn't have been selected if our other optional options were good to go just like he wasn't selected at RB for the opening 3 games.

I wish Tripps all the best and losing him without replacing him is a big risk. Time will tell but I am suspirsed we shifted him without replacing. I judge Trippier based on his last 3 years at Spurs mate, not his first 3 games at Atletico Madrid. I still think it was the right call to move him on, it's the decisions we've made in how to replace him that I'm somewhat unsure of at this time.

Last edited:
Maybe a substantially large part of the blame that was laid at his door by a lot of forum football experts wasn't quite the whole story?

When he joined he wasn't good enough to get ahead of Kyle Walker, become first choice because Walker left and never was high enough quality for a trophy push like so many demand. Damned if you do and damned if you don't with Tripps, he simply didn't cut the mustard as a lynchpin of a top side.

A squad filler or dilligent, safe choice maybe but he clearly had a ceiling that was there for all to see.

When he joined he wasn't good enough to get ahead of Kyle Walker, become first choice because Walker left and never was high enough quality for a trophy push like so many demand. Damned if you do and damned if you don't with Tripps, he simply didn't cut the mustard as a lynchpin of a top side.

A squad filler or dilligent, safe choice maybe but he clearly had a ceiling that was there for all to see.
He cut the mustard a fuck of a lot more than Sanchez appears to. And almost definitely will more than another untested centre back in Foyth.

Trippier was part of the teams that, however it happened and however a “weak link” he may have been, got to the Champions League final and World Cup semi final in the last couple of years.

I’ll wait patiently, breath held, for Sanchez, Foyth or KWP to do similar. I fear I may expire in this endeavour.

Why would a mid-table right back be snapped up by the second best team in Spain? Why would he displace Kyle Walker from the England squad?

Trips is a good player who had a bad season, that can happen. He will do very well at Atletico and prove all the whingers wrong. He’s left our team and our defense is still shockingly bad, his many errors last season took the spotlight off players like Rose, Toby and Jan who were similarly awful and have carried straight on from where they left off whereas Trips has come flying out of the traps in La Liga and instantly revived his reputation.
Utter tosh.

The defensive nature of Atleticos set up hugely protects full backs, as they are not needed as much in an attacking sense. Juanfran and Filipe Luis(who went to Chelsea and was absolute gash) have both been Atleticos fullbacks for the last number of years, both looking very good in the process, but would either of them be anywhere near good enough for us? No they fucking wouldn't, and if you say otherwise you're lying. Point being, don't let Trippier apparent good form distract you from the fact that he is not good enough for us.

Secondly, he has not replaced Walker in the England team. He's playing today because England as usual are playing a bunch of farmers in their qualifying group so Waistcoat can afford to look at different players as he himself has outlined. Once a serious match comes around, Walker who was been immense for City in their opening games will be back in the team, I'd bet you my bottom dollar on that.

Weirdly enough, with all that said I actually agree with you though, in that I don't think he should have been shipped out because as ever our dumbass approach to replacing departing players rears its ugly head and we decide that the two blokes who our manager has never deemed to be better than Trippier are all of a sudden going to be good enough this season. Joke shop.

Secondly, he has not replaced Walker in the England team. He's playing today because England as usual are playing a bunch of farmers in their qualifying group so Waistcoat can afford to look at different players as he himself has outlined. Once a serious match comes around, Walker who was been immense for City in their opening games will be back in the team, I'd bet you my bottom dollar on that.

So you missed the World Cup then when Trippier was the designated RB and Walker was shunted into a CB role.

Now he’s dropped for two games, even though Wan Bissaka is injured but he’a till not been replaced?

Haha

So you missed the World Cup then when Trippier was the designated RB and Walker was shunted into a CB role.

Now he’s dropped for two games, even though Wan Bissaka is injured but he’a till not been replaced?

Haha
Walker was played at centre back because all of Englands other centre back options were abysmal, Trippier was in decent form for us, and crucially, England were playing a back 5 which means Trippier didn't have to defend.

As for the current situation, I've explained that in my earlier post, which you've as usual cherry picked a piece out of to reply to, as it's the only part that fits your agenda.

Walker was played at centre back because all of Englands other centre back options were abysmal, Trippier was in decent form for us, and crucially, England were playing a back 5 which means Trippier didn't have to defend.

As for the current situation, I've explained that in my earlier post, which you've as usual cherry picked a piece out of to reply to, as it's the only part that fits your agenda.
Ahhhh Walker.....the boy that would be playing for Crewe if he wasn’t fast.

So he plays CB cos everyone else is shit despite one of them just being sold for 85M, and he plays RB because he’s the best RB, but when he’s not in the squad it’s also because he’s the best and is being saved for the next game in six weeks time......

Do you actually believe what you are typing

Ahhhh Walker.....the boy that would be playing for Crewe if he wasn’t fast.

So he plays CB cos everyone else is shit despite one of them just being sold for 85M, and he plays RB because he’s the best RB, but when he’s not in the squad it’s also because he’s the best and is being saved for the next game in six weeks time......

Do you actually believe what you are typing
LMAO.

So now price tag is an indication of a players quality, despite you spending your days on here saying Van Dijk is shit? Which is it? Also, you name ONE centre back, who is solid at best. Now I know counting may not be your strong point, but England were playing three during the World Cup. They needed someone there who could actually tackle and defend. Hence out of necessity they put Walker there.

If Walker is not reinstated as Englands right back by the time Englands next games come around, I will unequivocally hold my hands up. Something you are sadly incapable of doing, even when hard evidence is put right under your nose.

Or are you just being "selective" as always Sammy?

Kieran Trippier fails audition for England's right-back berth

How come the Mail is truth now? When it says something bad about Poch, it’s not to be trusted....

Telegraph said this:
Atletico Madrid will be thinking they bagged a bargain by snapping up Trippier for £20 million. The right-back took his England return in his stride. 7/10

Express
Kieran Trippier - Moving to Atletico Madrid has breathed life into his career and he was bright again here. 7

Sky

Kieran Trippier - 7
Caught out of position on a couple of occasions in the first half but his overlapping runs were a real source of danger for Southgate's men - as shown by the fact that he had more touches of the ball than anyone else on the pitch.

Sqwaka
Kieran Trippier – 6 – Got forward quite a bit throughout the game and was not really troubled defensively. A solid performance on his return to the England side.

Looks like your Daily Mail hack was a City fan....
FOOTBALL PLAYER TALKS TO MANAGER SO MEANS HE HAD A BAD GAME!!!!!!!

How come the Mail is truth now? When it says something bad about Poch, it’s not to be trusted....

Telegraph said this:
Atletico Madrid will be thinking they bagged a bargain by snapping up Trippier for £20 million. The right-back took his England return in his stride. 7/10

Express
Kieran Trippier - Moving to Atletico Madrid has breathed life into his career and he was bright again here. 7

Sky

Kieran Trippier - 7
Caught out of position on a couple of occasions in the first half but his overlapping runs were a real source of danger for Southgate's men - as shown by the fact that he had more touches of the ball than anyone else on the pitch.

Sqwaka
Kieran Trippier – 6 – Got forward quite a bit throughout the game and was not really troubled defensively. A solid performance on his return to the England side.

Looks like your Daily Mail hack was a City fan....
FOOTBALL PLAYER TALKS TO MANAGER SO MEANS HE HAD A BAD GAME!!!!!!!

Keep digging Sammy - average going forward still crap defending versus a side ranked 60th by FIFA ... yup that's world class for you ....

Football London - Kieran Trippier: Largely functioned as a right winger but did not offer the service the England front three might have hoped for. Instead his darts forward were probably Bulgaria's best source of attacking opportunities, leaving space in behind that the visitors invariably looked to exploit. 5

Keep digging Sammy - average going forward still crap defending versus a side ranked 60th by FIFA ... yup that's world class for you ....

Football London - Kieran Trippier: Largely functioned as a right winger but did not offer the service the England front three might have hoped for. Instead his darts forward were probably Bulgaria's best source of attacking opportunities, leaving space in behind that the visitors invariably looked to exploit. 5

I’m winning 4-2 on the reviews pal

Who’s digging? Lol

Back
Top Bottom