Tottenham Vs Sheffield Utd - 9th Nov.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Absolutely, and those passes come from central midfield. In my opinion you don’t give the CM position to the weakest of your midfield 3. He’s a fantastic passer of the ball, and playing centrally will only increase those passing options. With him playing centrally, and runners in front of the ball on either side, with Kane available for the vertical pass, we will really see what he can do. Anyway, we both know that’s where he wants to play. Poch should let him.

Those through balls come when he can burst forward into the attacking third, and to do that he needs someone beside him doing the graft and covering his arse. At Lyon he had Tousart or Cheikh Diop and him and Aouar played either side. Lyon struggled more when Genesio tried to use him in a CM2.

Last edited:
Is Fernandinho City's best passer ? Is Fabinho Liverpool's ? Was Busqeuts Barca's?
Does a quarterback dictate play from the side of the pitch? A crude analogy I know, but I feel one that’s relevant. Anyway, I’m being dragged off point here. Skipp isn’t remotely good enough to play in the centre of midfield - he lacks confidence and thus far, ability. Your confidence in him is wildly optimistic, and it’s pretty much based on anyone but Sissoko. As far as I can gather you want to replace one shit midfielder with another.

Is Fernandinho City's best passer ? Is Fabinho Liverpool's ? Was Busqeuts Barca's?
What’s that got to do with it? We’re hardly overburdened with creative players, why bring up those teams who are? This is lurching towards an argument I’m not interested in. Play Skipp in the centre of midfield if that’s want you want - I think he’ll look ridiculous - you disagree. Let’s leave it there.

What’s that got to do with it? We’re hardly overburdened with creative players, why bring up those teams who are? This is lurching towards an argument I’m not interested in. Play Skipp in the centre of midfield if that’s want you want - I think he’ll look ridiculous - you disagree. Let’s leave it there.

So why put your most creative players in defensive roles, that's why City play Fernandinho as the insurance and De Bruyne and Silva either side doing what hopefully Ndombele and Lo Celso could do for us.

Those through balls come when he can burst forward into the attacking third, and to do that he needs someone beside him doing the graft and covering his arse. At Lyon he had Tousart or Cheikh Diop and him and Aouar played either side. Lyon struggled more when Genesio tried to use him in a CM2.
Not sure I’m with you now. If he can play incisive through balls, why does he even need to “burst forward into the attacking third” and why would you want him “ to burst forward into the attacking third” from our left side? It makes no sense whatsoever. As for the other stuff, we wouldn’t have picked him up for a song if that shit was working. I don’t care about Lyon - if they’d utilised him correctly he wouldn’t be here. Stop with the bollocks about Genesio and CM2’s. I thought we were better than Lyon - who are they? And why are you comparing us to them? He was a fat, lazy, but talented player - now he’s not fat and he realises that he can’t stroll around the PL like he did on holiday in France.

I did try BC, but it’s such a waste of one’s time to argue with obsessive people. See how much you’ve changed this discussion? I can’t be fucking arsed anymore. Yeah, Skipp playing the Viera role, with Ndombele coming in off the wing - sheer fucking brilliance. Why did nobody thing of that before?

Not sure I’m with you now. If he can play incisive through balls, why does he even need to “burst forward into the attacking third” and why would you want him “ to burst forward into the attacking third” from our left side? It makes no sense whatsoever. As for the other stuff, we wouldn’t have picked him up for a song if that shit was working. I don’t care about Lyon - if they’d utilised him correctly he wouldn’t be here. Stop with the bollocks about Genesio and CM2’s. I thought we were better than Lyon - who are they? And why are you comparing us to them? He was a fat, lazy, but talented player - now he’s not fat and he realises that he can’t stroll around the PL like he did on holiday in France.

I did try BC, but it’s such a waste of one’s time to argue with obsessive people. See how much you’ve changed this discussion? I can’t be fucking arsed anymore. Yeah, Skipp playing the Viera role, with Ndombele coming in off the wing - sheer fucking brilliance. Why did nobody thing of that before?

What have wingers got to do with anything? De Bruyne and Silva aren't wingers? They play as lateral 8's in a CM3. And create shitloads. That's how I would like to see us set up.

So why put your most creative players in defensive roles, that's why City play Fernandinho as the insurance and De Bruyne and Silva either side doing what hopefully Ndombele and Lo Celso could do for us.
I didn’t. I’m done with this now BC. I was talking about our team, but you’ve gone all Man City. I’m really stressed out now. I’ll just stick to making feeble jokes from now on. I’ll leave the serious stuff to you and the other team pickers - those who know best.

What have wingers got to do with anything? De Bruyne and Silva aren't wingers? They play as lateral 8's in a CM3. And create shitloads. That's how I would like to see us set up.
But we don’t have the fucking players to set up like that. Their players are generally better than ours. Do you seriously think we do? We don’t have a player who can get behind the opposition”s back line. We just ping it about in front of two banks of 5/4. Don’t talk to me about City’s wing play. Regardless of whether their players are wingers of not, they still target the left side with monotonous regularity. All their goals come from that area of the pitch. It’s so fucking obvious, yet no one can do anything about it. I blame the manager.

Bed for me now BC. Have a peaceful night.

GAZZA
SANCHEZ - TOBY - DIER
FOYTH - LO CELSO- NDOMBELE - SESSINGON
SON - ALLI
KANE​

I have a feeling we may see 3 at the back with Sess getting minutes. Formation allows him to effectively play as a winger. Dier can push up into midfield to help out if required; with Sess dropping back to a more traditional 4-3-2-1.

But we don’t have the fucking players to set up like that. Their players are generally better than ours. Do you seriously think we do? We don’t have a player who can get behind the opposition”s back line. We just ping it about in front of two banks of 5/4.
Sessegnon and Son on the wings, Kane obviously our striker, Lo Celso, a proper DM (who protects the back-four and can pick a decent pass, mainly to the other 2 midfielders) + Ndombele in midfield. We would create a shitload of chances.

Last edited:
Sessegnon and Son on the wings, Kane obviously our striker, Lo Celso, a proper DM (who protects the back-four and can pick a decent pass, mainly to the other 2 midfielders) + Ndombele in midfield. We would create a shitload of chances.
What’s that got to do with Skipp? BC was arguing for him starting in central midfield, I disagreed. How have we arrived here? He originally had Lo Celso on the right of a midfield 3, he’s now agreeing with you that he should be a proper DM?

This is why I rarely get involved with this selection bollocks. Did you see his original line up? Ha was advocating 4-3-3 with Skipp in the centre of the 3.

Last edited:
If he can stick with that team as often as possible this season and as things go on through the months until May we see a similar integration into the team like Lo Celso has had happening with the likes of Skipp, Sessegnon, Parrott and possibly even Clarke if we recall him and figure he's better of with us than gathering dust on a bogus loan deal then we will be shaping up very well with this new chapter.

A really impressive amount of young talent and honestly I'd much rather see us use this season as the one we blood them god and proper. The old guard are fading, let's not hang onto the memories and make things not seem as wonderful as they once were with them. Time for this lot to get a hearty old bite.

I think Lineker said that Wednesday was the 93rd match in a row with a different line-up...

GAZZA
SANCHEZ - TOBY - DIER
FOYTH - LO CELSO- NDOMBELE - SESSINGON
SON - ALLI
KANE​

I have a feeling we may see 3 at the back with Sess getting minutes. Formation allows him to effectively play as a winger. Dier can push up into midfield to help out if required; with Sess dropping back to a more traditional 4-3-2-1.
You have as much chance of getting a blow job off the pope on the Vatican steps as you have of seeing that side start

What’s that got to do with Skipp? BC was arguing for him starting in central midfield, I disagreed. How have we arrived here? He originally had Lo Celso on the right of a midfield 3, he’s now agreeing with you that he should be a proper DM?

This is why I rarely get involved with this selection bollocks. Did you see his original line up? Ha was advocating 4-3-3 with Skipp in the centre of the 3.
His obsession with Skipp is particularly amusing given his obsession with condemning every aspect of Sissoko's contribution.

From the Grauniad...

"Seventy years ago this weekend (the precise anniversary falls on Tuesday) Sheffield United, then 10th in the Second Division, travelled to a Tottenham team that were five points clear at the top. What followed was a remorseless skewering: Guernsey-born Len Duquemin, the Channel Islands’ first great footballer, scored in the fifth minute and the 29th, Les Medley in the 24th and 34th, and Sonny Walters got a second-half hat-trick as Spurs won 7-0. Tottenham, in their first season under Arthur Rowe, were developing the “push and run” style that would bring them the Second Division title that season and win them the First Division a year later, but the defeat was to have a telling effect on the Blades: though they ended that day in 12th their form improved as the season progressed, to such an extent that when they completed their campaign they were in second place and all set for promotion. Unfortunately their city rivals Sheffield Wednesday, one point behind them, had a game still to play: they drew 0-0 and went up because their goal average was superior by a meagre 0.008. So had the Blades conceded only one fewer goal on that day in November they would have gone up instead – and to make matters worse, Wednesday’s opponents in that final game? Tottenham. "

Back
Top Bottom