Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This stability thing, you are overfocussing on that. Its no use having a 'stable' guy who is either to slow to defend or just doesnt bother tracking back like Trippier used to. Even moderately fast guys would leave him behind and he would jog back with our CBs having to defend difficult crosses or just get dragged out wide.

Aurier has been erratic at times, but he is still our best fullback and I think Mourinho will agree too.

1) Did you managed to notice that this comment came from the fact that someone mentioned "Aurier" and "World class" in same sentence. And I pointed out that in order to be world class player (at least on defensive side) you need to play on consistent level for some period of time. And Aurier has been extremely not-consistent.

2) Stability absolutely and without any question at all IS important. Football is a team sport and you make your decisions and tactics based on some assumptions. You need to be somewhat aware of what you could expect from a player. If he does not deliver and is 100 in one day and 0 on other, your whole plan comes crumbling down. So it is without any effing doubt more useful to have a player with defensive obligations who will deliver you performances worth rating 75-85 out of 100 rather than a guy who can be 95 for one game and 25 in some other. In some instances it could be different with attacking players, but defenders - nope.

And the latter part has unfortunately been more of Aurier situation up to now.
I understand that your memory is pretty much worse I have ever witnessed in my life, but I can remind you that as things were standing in the end of Oct, Aurier had played less than 2400 minutes of EPL football and with this time he had given away 4 penalties and earned 2 red cards. This was monumentally atrocious, pathetic, inexcusable and just absolute garbage. Equivalent to holocaust on the football field really. I cannot imagine anyone having worse record than that out of hundreds and hundreds of fullbacks that have played in this league. And let me assure- he had some really good games inbetween, but that will just not excuse such massive failure rate.

So "best fullback" and "world class" my arse... As far as stats go, he could be one of the most unreliable fullbacks in the league history.
I am happy with the performances he has put in under Mourinho up to now. It would without a doubt be useful for the team if he could keep up such performance levels in the run of tens and tens of games. I would be happy about it. But I'll believe it when he achieves it. I will not be hyperbolic kneejerk who would forget his history after two good performances and label him anything like that after the amount of times he has let us badly down in the past!

1) Did you managed to notice that this comment came from the fact that someone mentioned "Aurier" and "World class" in same sentence. And I pointed out that in order to be world class player (at least on defensive side) you need to play on consistent level for some period of time. And Aurier has been extremely not-consistent.

2) Stability absolutely and without any question at all IS important. Football is a team sport and you make your decisions and tactics based on some assumptions. You need to be somewhat aware of what you could expect from a player. If he does not deliver and is 100 in one day and 0 on other, your whole plan comes crumbling down. So it is without any effing doubt more useful to have a player with defensive obligations who will deliver you performances worth rating 75-85 out of 100 rather than a guy who can be 95 for one game and 25 in some other. In some instances it could be different with attacking players, but defenders - nope.

I understand that your memory is pretty much worse I have ever witnessed in my life, but I can remind you that as things were standing in the end of Oct, Aurier had played less than 2400 minutes of EPL football and with this time he had given away 4 penalties and earned 2 red cards. This was monumentally atrocious, pathetic, inexcusable and just absolute garbage. Equivalent to holocaust on the football field really. I cannot imagine anyone having worse record than that out of hundreds and hundreds of fullbacks that have played in this league. And let me assure- he had some really good games inbetween, but that will just not excuse such massive failure rate.

So "best fullback" and "world class" my arse... As far as stats go, he could be one of the most unreliable fullbacks in the league history.
I am happy with the performances he has put in under Mourinho up to now. It would without a doubt be useful for the team if he could keep up such performance levels in the run of tens and tens of games. I would be happy about it. But I'll believe it when he achieves it. I will not be hyperbolic kneejerk who would forget his history after two good performances and label him anything like that after the amount of times he has let us badly down in the past!
Didnt read all that but....

"your memory is pretty much worse I have ever witnessed in my life"
"atrocious, pathetic, inexcusable and just absolute garbage. Equivalent to holocaust on the football field really."

Now first what I want you to do is take a deep breath.
Good
Good boy
Now repeat this " Life is okay"
"Life is okay"
"Life is okay"
Good
And dont flush your medication, you need it.

Thank fuck you didn't mention the three foul throws in one game....it might have sent you over the edge...

Didnt read all that but....

"your memory is pretty much worse I have ever witnessed in my life"
"atrocious, pathetic, inexcusable and just absolute garbage. Equivalent to holocaust on the football field really."

Now first what I want you to do is take a deep breath.
Good
Good boy
Now repeat this " Life is okay"
"Life is okay"
"Life is okay"
Good
And dont flush your medication, you need it.

Never thought you'd read.
Not enough attention span and memory lasting ~1 week, fits the picture :thumbup:
1 or 2 good games = he's the best ever
1 or 2 bad games = f**king useless s*t, sell right away
That's how you roll

Thank fuck you didn't mention the three foul throws in one game....it might have sent you over the edge...

Yea, I know, it was strongly worded.
I just get pissed off when ppl lose all kind of perspective.

Aurier is Spurs player and I hope he continues to do well. Last 2 games by him were really good.
I was just pointing out that he has reaaaaly long way still to go to prove himself, cause his mistakes have cost us dearly in the past. He really has made very many mistakes despite his quite modest time on the field, I think everyone can agree with this.

On a principle.

But just say this - is 2400 played minutes, 4 penalties caused, 2 sent-offs earned - something that goes together well with "best fullback in club" ?
According to longer time period, Eriksen would be the best midfielder at the club and Toby would be the best defender. Those things may be true a couple of years ago , but not anymore. Right now, this season, Eriksen is one of the worst players at the club and Toby is one of the worst defenders in the league.

If you think Mane sticking his foot in and falling over deliberately is a penalty ...

I understand that your memory is pretty much worse I have ever witnessed in my life, but I can remind you that as things were standing in the end of Oct, Aurier had played less than 2400 minutes of EPL football and with this time he had given away 4 penalties and earned 2 red cards. This was monumentally atrocious, pathetic, inexcusable and just absolute garbage. Equivalent to holocaust on the football field really.
This is the most atrocious, pathetic, inexcusable and just absolute garbage thing I have ever read in TFC history.

Equivalent to holocaust on a football forum really.

According to longer time period, Eriksen would be the best midfielder at the club and Toby would be the best defender. Those things may be true a couple of years ago , but not anymore. Right now, this season, Eriksen is one of the worst players at the club and Toby is one of the worst defenders in the league.

If you think Mane sticking his foot in and falling over deliberately is a penalty ...

So, essentially speaking, you really base your judgement on 1 or 2 games? That's what I read out from your reply.

This is not some 10 year-aggregated data. He was sent off this season against Soton. He caused penalty this season. He had very weak games this season. I see your point that we should not only look historic data. You are right - based on that, Eriksen would be borderline superhero. But there is this balancing point somewhere between extremums.

I feel that Aurier has still very-very much to prove because his truly awful games and let-downs of the team and fans are from very recent past. Yet you dismiss it all like it would be ancient history. So I literally don't know how could I draw any other conclusions than that you seem to value players only based on last week memory.

P.S I will not go into penalty vs non-penalty argumentation again. It is fact that based on his actions opposite team was awarded penalty. No matter the lenght of argumentation will change it.

This is the most atrocious, pathetic, inexcusable and just absolute garbage thing I have ever read in TFC history.

Equivalent to holocaust on a football forum really.

But just say this - is 2400 played minutes, 4 penalties caused, 2 sent-offs earned - something that goes together well with "best fullback in club" ? Or even "a good fullback"?

I am now just repeating myself, but
- I believe Aurier is very-very unreliable player, we can see from recent history how many times he has let the team down.
and
- I am happy his performances in last games have improved a lot. I hope he will continue his good form, and will improve the long-term performances. That would be massively benefitial to the club, and would bring joy to me as Spurs fan.

“If only we didn’t sell Frodo”.......
“Frodo is one of the best crossers of the ball”........

tumblr_mq6luctKP21qbo81go1_250.gif

Imagine if we had a manager that played a system that benefited the 23M Walker replacement that everyone claimed had no place near the first team and needed replacing.

Oh! We do!

The rest of the Walker money went on Moura.
Imagine thinking he should not be anywhere near the starting line up.....

:pochfacepalm:

Imagine if we had a manager that played a system that benefited the 23M Walker replacement that everyone claimed had no place near the first team and needed replacing.

Oh! We do!

The rest of the Walker money went on Moura.
Imagine thinking he should not be anywhere near the starting line up.....

:pochfacepalm:
Imagine not noticing that we played 3 at the back under Poch!!! I mean imagine playing Dele as a 10, something that we have NEVER seen before, wow what a manager! The revolution is here, we've never seen the like at Tottenham.

Back
Top Bottom