FA Cup 3rd Rd - Middlesbrough F.C. Vs Tottenham, Sun 5th Jan.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Absolutely. Who in their right mind wouldn't?

He's put out a young team in a Merseyside Derby. Trusted them to go out and play well and with their manager's backing they are doing so. Meanwhile any young players we have are instantly turned into scapegoats are dumped or never given the chance.

If Mourinho isn’t keen on playing Parrot, why won’t play Dele up front? Gives him less to do and puts him in the area where he’s most dangerous. A traffic cone would’ve cause more problems for Middlesbrough CBs than Son and Lucas.

Aurier is an enigma isn’t he? He was the best of all the starters but even at his best, it’s a guarantee he’ll do one thing absolutely shocking in the match.

also, has anyone notice how anticlimactic the final play of our last three matches have been? Eriksen hits the first man on a corner against Norwich; Aurier puts in a cross out of play when we had plenty of men in the box against Southampton; today, Son does a ‘brainless run with the ball, kills our counter then proceeds to make an woeful pass to the slowest man on the pitch. All coming in chances to win/draw the match.

Last edited:
Regardless of where one stands on our spending, that doesn't excuse the things I pointed out.

You said it was clear what Poch was trying to do, yet it was in fact clear that it wasn't working (i.e. the diamond of doom!).

As for the defensive clusterfuck I mentioned..... That was Poch's own handywork. (Chose to sell players but wouldn't back those he chose to retain. Pulled the rug out from Davies & Sanchez 2 season's ago and sent them both backwards, just to pander to Toby & Rose.)

Well initially it was clear what Poch was trying. If it was a lack of investment (fresh players) or Poch not thinking it was possible to keep players working hard for a whole season, I don't know. He went away from the high pressure which I wasn't happy about, cos I loved the expression we had his early years.

Poch played Sanchez of late? As much as I Davies, he's no more than a number two. Whenever he enters the oppositions half he has no idea what to do. I don't remember him taking part in many of our goals, which I can't say about the less loved Aurier

Absolutely. Who in their right mind wouldn't?

He's put out a young team in a Merseyside Derby. Trusted them to go out and play well and with their manager's backing they are doing so. Meanwhile any young players we have are instantly turned into scapegoats are dumped or never given the chance.
Klopp has built a team over 4 years, so trusts and knows the youngsters in his squad.

Mourinho has been here '5 minutes', your bias is clouding your judgement.

Dele was terrible. Lo Celso and Lamela were fantastic when they came on. We played well after their goal, but problem is it's not really sustainable to play like that with no midfield against any decent side. Eriksen was playing holding midfield FFS.

Klopp has built a team over 4 years, so trusts and knows the youngsters in his squad.

Mourinho has been here '5 minutes', your bias is clouding your judgement.
Well we'll see what the next few weeks bring. But already the standard of performance is dipping to worse than Poch levels in those 5 minutes.

I genuinely didn't realise some FA Cup games had V.A.R this weekend, and some didn't...
Surely that can't be right/fair?
It's gotta be all or nothing, surely?
Otherwise it's luck of the draw TWICE, depending on what ground you're playing in?
VAR may well have chalked off their goal... it may not have... but it certainly would've been unfair to go out via a goal that may have been chalked off on another ground!
Fucking glad we equalised now!
City survived at Swansea last season due to no VAR, then went on to win the cup

What an embarrassment we have become. Full strength and can't even beat a bottom half championship team. Why the fuck did dier get a new deal and why is eriksen still playing for us unless he has secretly agreed to sign a new deal. I'm at loss with this club.

So many passengers and zero identity. Wow we dominated possession? Just like we did under pochettino. But when it takes us 2 minutes to cross the ball then it is totally pointless. We can't even defend anymore, so that renders our counter attacks even more pointless. Dier toby and vertonghen has to be the slowest backline we have had for a good while. Maybe chris Perry and Anthony gardener was close.

I think we will get beaten 3 or 4 next weekend. I've had it with these cunts. No passion, no identity. And the worst thing is the biggest culprit in dier has been given a new deal. He wouldn't get in most championship teams and the ones he would get in would be worse for it. Pathetic excuse for a footballer.

Winks, dier, eriksen, and alli of late need to be dropped and not play again for us for a long time.

Desperate. I reckon Son might be off too. Looks totally disinterested. And who can blame him.

You're not wrong, but equally you were just saying that we hired the wrong man as a means of furthering your anti-Levy sentiment.... Which is in turn a bit strange so soon after you championing Jose for exemplifying the 'winning' mentality you feverishly crave.

No I don't think we hired the wrong man mate, at least not yet anyway, jury is out on that one but at the end of the day, Poch had to go and Jose was the best manager we could have gone for currently imo.

I do crave a winning mentality at this club, we clearly need it, well the players do because they aren't showing one right now and I hope Jose can instill that in them.

I think there is a possibility that he could fail here though it's too early to say imo but that's very dependant on the level of backing he gets, I don't have an anti-levy sentiment either mate, I praise him when I believe he is making the correct decisions.

Overall I dislike the way ENIC do business on the football side of things, in terms of the infastructure I have no complaints, I just don't think their ownership will take us any further or win us silverware again.

I think Jose has overestimated the quality of this squad as well, that's been his biggest blind spot, maybe his ego told him he could get more from this group I don't know, I know I certainly overestimated the quality of this squad as well so I guess none of us really have the answers.

The only people left to look at are the people at the top mate, they are the ones overseeing constant failure and they're the only ones who constantly dodge the bullet.

Well we'll see what the next few weeks bring. But already the standard of performance is dipping to worse than Poch levels in those 5 minutes.

We haven’t got near Poch levels of bad. Don’t get me wrong, I have no particular love for Jose, but we were genuine relegation form before he came in.

Poch insisted we play it out from the back and we simply couldn’t do it. It was excruciating.

Well initially it was clear what Poch was trying. If it was a lack of investment (fresh players) or Poch not thinking it was possible to keep players working hard for a whole season, I don't know. He went away from the high pressure which I wasn't happy about, cos I loved the expression we had his early years.

The players hated the diamond, other teams loved it and it blunted our attack and took away all our width.

Furthermore, it's a highly demanding system so if pressing is an issue it's foolish to pursue it.

It's folly to hide form the above facts.

Poch played Sanchez of late? As much as I Davies, he's no more than a number two. Whenever he enters the oppositions half he has no idea what to do. I don't remember him taking part in many of our goals, which I can't say about the less loved Aurier

Your counter-point here isn't clear.

I'm talking when he dropped Sanchez and Davies at the start of last season when both were playing BETTER than Toby & Rose the year before. FFWD to this summer, Poch chose to sell Trippier, yet wouldn't play KWP or Foyth there even though we already knew how patchy Aurier was.

I know what you mean but.. .most people I think would argue that they don't see jose as an upgrade. Yeah, I get that he's won stuff but is he and his methods outdated ? Was jose's appointment a sop to the fans so at least levy could argue he's hired a winner. I'm sorry but I couldn't give a shit what he's won. It's about what he does now in this moment and what i see is him repeating poch's mistakes of the last 12 months...

All of that is possible mate, guess we will find out.

Back
Top Bottom