Tottenham Hotspur v Man City (2/2/2020)(4.30pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My post literally has nothing to do with the sport. I'd never come here to argue you all should be NFL fans.

He called NFL players, 70% of whom are black, "apes".

If you don't see how that could be an issue for a black man in America I'm not sure what to tell you.
is that an ignorant euphemism for people who are black in America?
to me it just describes big thickset gorilla like humans - period, no colour distinction in the term, just a descriptive way of describing swarthy muscular people
I can't speak for him, but I'm sure it was just a description of american footballers in toto - not a racist colour based insult.

and I'm right anyway, Dry stonewalling is more interesting, constant action, no adverts

is that an ignorant euphemism for people who are black in America?
it's a well known ignorant euphemism for black people everywhere. We know this because football fans throughout Europe have been guilty of throwing bananas, or making ape/chimp/monkey noises at black players.

But you already know this I'm sure.

IDGAF what you think about American football. But if you want to cosign racism, and feign ignorance, then that says a lot about you.

it's a well known ignorant euphemism for black people everywhere. We know this because football fans throughout Europe have been guilty of throwing bananas, or making ape/chimp/monkey noises at black players.

IDGAF what you think about American football. But if you want to cosign racism, and feign ignorance, then that says a lot about you.
you need to watch what you say - I spent 20 years in the army where calling someone an ape was a race free term, and through my life have never seen at as such. Just because ignorant wankers in european countries like Bulgaria and Hungary do it - it doesn't mean its common here in the UK. Our grounds are totally multiracial and have been for decades - I have never heard any of that shit in UK football grounds.

so don't tell me I'm playing dumb you condescending bell end, I don't think of the term in any form of racial context, and I have no conscious recollection of anyone doing it in the UK. I've heard ignorant people use the N word and other terms that were commonplace in the UK back in the 60s, but education and development has cut most of that shit away.

You hurdling, nay pole vaulting, to massively ignorant and erroneous conclusions about me, who I am and what I stand for probably say far more about you, than any of the slurs you have leveled at me/about me.

Equally, throughout the years I've seen people who do steroids described in such terms irrespective of skin colour.

Same, in reference to 'neanderthal', thug doormen and bouncers.

I'm also suprised to see American Football considered a predominantly 'black sport'.... You have no big jacked up white dudes in the game anymore or do they all just go straight into WWE these days?

I think you're being awfully hasty in your interpretation of the original comments made by both posters.

Last edited:
you need to watch what you say - I spent 20 years in the army where calling someone an ape was a race free term, and through my life have never seen at as such. Just because ignorant wankers in european countries like Bulgaria and Hungary do it - it doesn't mean its common here in the UK. Our grounds are totally multiracial and have been for decades - I have never heard any of that shit in UK football grounds.

so don't tell me I'm playing dumb you condescending bell end, I don't think of the term in any form of racial context, and I have no conscious recollection of anyone doing it in the UK. I've heard ignorant people use the N word and other terms that were commonplace in the UK back in the 60s, but education and development has cut most of that shit away.

You hurdling, nay pole vaulting, to massively ignorant and erroneous conclusions about me, who I am and what I stand for probably say far more about you, than any of the slurs you have leveled at me/about me.
I need to watch what I say, but others don't? Priceless.

Multiracial grounds don't prohibit racism.

So you're aware of the banana, and the fact it happens but you ignorant to the fact it happens in the UK? Sure.

I agree the word can be used without racist undertones. I believe the poster has the chance to explain his/her usage of the word. I don't believe that you're aware of racism in Europe (as it exists virtually everywhere), but in this instance refuse to accept that it's possible that was the intent.

You wrote all those words and you still have no idea what "if" means?

Equally, throughout the years I've seen people who do steroids described in such terms irrespective of skin colour.

Same, in reference to 'neanderthal', thug doormen and bouncers.

I'm also suprised to see American Football considered a predominantly 'black sport'.... You have no big jacked up white dude in the game anymore or do they all just go straight into WWE these days?

I think you're being awfully hasty in your interpretation of the original comments made by both posters.
Sure. But in lieu of the N word, ape and thug have become the new insults. Easier to mask the true intent.

There are certainly white players, but they are the minority.

If Spaniel wants to explain his/her intent, then fine, i'll retract my statement. Either way, it was an ignorant thing to say. Either innocently ignorant (hopefully that's the case), or ignorant and hurtful.

I don't believe for one minute that Mick is aware of black people being compared to apes and monkeys in numerous countries, but all of a sudden shocked that someone might take exception with calling a group of men who are 70% black "apes".

Sure. But in lieu of the N word, ape and thug have become the new insults. Easier to mask the true intent.

Wooooaaahhhh, hang on "thug" is off limits too now?

"True intent"????

Have I just inadvertently done a racism too?

Thug: "a violent person, especially a criminal."

Honestly, with the best will in the world, fuck this shit. :sigh:

There are certainly white players, but they are the minority.

I'm not really sure it's fair to expect people to know this...

If Spaniel wants to explain his/her intent, then fine, i'll retract my statement. Either way, it was an ignorant thing to say. Either innocently ignorant (hopefully that's the case), or ignorant and hurtful.

I don't believe for one minute that Mick is aware of black people being compared to apes and monkeys in numerous countries, but all of a sudden shocked that someone might take exception with calling a group of men who are 70% black "apes".

You may transpire to have judged correctly, but yeh, like I say "hasty" especially given the severity of calling someone a racist.

Wooooaaahhhh, hang on "thug" is off limits too now?

"True intent"????

Have I just inadvertently done a racism too?

Thug: "a violent person, especially a criminal."

Honestly, with the best will in the world, fuck this shit. :sigh:

I'm not really sure it's fair to expect people to know this...

You may transpire to have judged correctly, but yeh, like I say "hasty" especially given the severity of calling someone a racist.
I'm not saying anything is "off limits". Just that context matters.

I didn't say I expected anyone to know that "thug" is often used in place of the N word.

Ape, however, shouldn't come as a surprise considering the banana and allegations of hearing monkey noises. Come on now.

Maybe I was hasty, but reread my first post. I used two question marks intentionally. I wanted to give him/her the opportunity to restate his post.

He hasn't.

Mick, for whatever reason, decided to play white knight (taking the piss). I think he was too hasty. 1) he kept talking about american football, when it is irrelevant, and 2) i clearly wrote "if" he cosigns. I didn't say he was a racist.

I'm not saying anything is "off limits". Just that context matters.

I didn't say I expected anyone to know that "thug" is often used in place of the N word.

I didn't take it as a directive coming from yourself, mate.

Ape, however, shouldn't come as a surprise considering the banana and allegations of hearing monkey noises. Come on now.

Would I direct the word "ape" directly at a black guy....? No.

Would I use it in reference to a group of big jacked-up guys of undefined skin colour? Quite possibly.

I wouldn't think twice about using the word thug; regardless of skin colour.

.....Even with the purest of intentions; it appears things are becoming a minefield.

Maybe I was hasty, but reread my first post. I used two question marks intentionally. I wanted to give him/her the opportunity to restate his post.

He hasn't.

Mick, for whatever reason, decided to play white knight (taking the piss). I think he was too hasty. 1) he kept talking about american football, when it is irrelevant, and 2) i clearly wrote "if" he cosigns. I didn't say he was a racist.

My point isn't to defend either. I'm sure they'll both respond accordingly in time.

Apes? Are you going to be the guy throwing bananas at the players when they play at our stadium?

You ought to be ashamed of yourself.
You have taken offence to the word 'ape' when used in a general context against ALL NFL players irrespective of colour or creed? Nothing was aimed directly at anyone.

I don't think Spaniel Spaniel 's post was racist and your faux outrage is laughable and you should be embarrassed.

You have taken offence to the word 'ape' when used in a general context against ALL NFL players irrespective of colour or creed? Nothing was aimed directly at anyone.

I don't think Spaniel Spaniel 's post was racist and your faux outrage is laughable and you should be embarrassed.
Not outraged.

It was ignorant.

You're free to disagree.

You can also eat a dick.

Then there's this... I'm sure the artist meant well, but..., this wasn't very well thought out.

I'd be very surprised to hear that this made news in America, but not the UK, considering the popularity of football, and the diversity of the two regions.
I'd like to point out that campaign was also...
"used in general context..." for football "players irrespective of colour or creed" and that "nothing was aimed directly at anyone".

He called NFL players, 70% of whom are black, "apes".

If you don't see how that could be an issue for a black man in America I'm not sure what to tell you.

The only issue I see here is that you have stereotyped speaking about NFL players - to be speaking about black men.

I don't like to see that kind of rhetoric.

Back
Top Bottom