Tottenham Hotspur v Man City (2/2/2020)(4.30pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I need to watch what I say, but others don't? Priceless.

Multiracial grounds don't prohibit racism.

So you're aware of the banana, and the fact it happens but you ignorant to the fact it happens in the UK? Sure.

I agree the word can be used without racist undertones. I believe the poster has the chance to explain his/her usage of the word. I don't believe that you're aware of racism in Europe (as it exists virtually everywhere), but in this instance refuse to accept that it's possible that was the intent.

You wrote all those words and you still have no idea what "if" means?
If you had something of value to say I'd bother trying to explain. I'd say that you'd have to have a pretty racist mind to see something racist in everything that is said or posted.
If you had the merest soupçon of wit or intelligence you might take what I have to say at face value - rather than applying your own prejudices to someone you have no knowledge of.
If you just stopped to think - before you posted
If only you could get your head out of your own fat arse.

If you had something of value to say I'd bother trying to explain. I'd say that you'd have to have a pretty racist mind to see something racist in everything that is said or posted.
If you had the merest soupçon of wit or intelligence you might take what I have to say at face value - rather than applying your own prejudices to someone you have no knowledge of.
If you just stopped to think - before you posted
If only you could get your head out of your own fat arse.
Hey Mick, one last try.

Please quote the specific part of my post where I allegedly called you racist.

Glad you took your 'L' well.

Dear oh dear...
Then there's this... I'm sure the artist meant well, but..., this wasn't very well thought out.

I'd be very surprised to hear that this made news in America, but not the UK, considering the popularity of football, and the diversity of the two regions.
I'd like to point out that campaign was also...
"used in general context..." for football "players irrespective of colour or creed" and that "nothing was aimed directly at anyone".
Indeed

Wooooaaahhhh, hang on "thug" is off limits too now?

"True intent"????

Have I just inadvertently done a racism too?

Thug: "a violent person, especially a criminal."

Honestly, with the best will in the world, fuck this shit. :sigh:

I'm not really sure it's fair to expect people to know this...

You may transpire to have judged correctly, but yeh, like I say "hasty" especially given the severity of calling someone a racist.
Thug has had that connotation ever since Tupac.

Come on, my man.

You know your Hip-Hop, you should know how Pac changed that word.

You keep quoting that article about Italian football at me.

Has nothing to do with your faux outrage at the initial post around the NFL. You saw racism where there was none. Says more about you than anyone else on here.
Are you feigning ignorance here? That article isn't about Italian football. It was about an artist who tried to combat racism, but due to his ignorance ended up creating something that black people saw as racist. In your own words, with your own logic...it was "used in general context..." for football "players irrespective of colour or creed" and that "nothing was aimed directly at anyone".

And as I said, I wasn't outraged then, and am not now.

I used question marks in my response for a reason. You don't know what Spaniel Spaniel 's intent was. Neither do I. Like I said earlier, a black man in America is going to have a different reaction. I know others may and will take it differently. Your faux outrage at the fact someone could have a different reaction to something posted doesn't help either.

Anytime Spaniel Spaniel wants to explain the post and provide context I'd gladly read it, thank him/her, and move on.

But you lot are no more "right" because you think it wasn't racist than I am for thinking it could have been.

We need the author to weigh in.

And it's ironic AF that I have to point that out for you while being accused of "faux outrage", and of calling a different poster racist (i didn't).

IRONIC AF.

Are you feigning ignorance here? That article isn't about Italian football. It was about an artist who tried to combat racism, but due to his ignorance ended up creating something that black people saw as racist. In your own words, with your own logic...it was "used in general context..." for football "players irrespective of colour or creed" and that "nothing was aimed directly at anyone".

And as I said, I wasn't outraged then, and am not now.

I used question marks in my response for a reason. You don't know what Spaniel Spaniel 's intent was. Neither do I. Like I said earlier, a black man in America is going to have a different reaction. I know others may and will take it differently. Your faux outrage at the fact someone could have a different reaction to something posted doesn't help either.

Anytime Spaniel Spaniel wants to explain the post and provide context I'd gladly read it, thank him/her, and move on.

But you lot are no more "right" because you think it wasn't racist than I am for thinking it could have been.

We need the author to weigh in.

And it's ironic AF that I have to point that out for you while being accused of "faux outrage", and of calling a different poster racist (i didn't).

IRONIC AF.
First five words of the article - An Italian football anti-racism initiative.

Now sod off, and take your idiotic outlook on racism with you.

Thug has had that connotation ever since Tupac.

Come on, my man.

You know your Hip-Hop, you should know how Pac changed that word.

Ngggghhhhh..... What happened to context, intent and so on????

What term should I use instead? .....Ruffian? .....Scallywag?

You think when my Dad calls some knob smashing up a phone-box a thug; you think he even knows who 2-Pac was FFS?

(To me "Thug-life" (tm) is a reference to life-style, attitude & conduct etc.... Not skin colour.... Are we're gonna remove every word from the caucasion venacular that's been used as a metaphor in hiphop?)

With the best will in the world - as someone that grew up believing that 'love saw no colour' - it feels like I'm gradually being taught to. Smilarly, if this is the level that the battle against racism is getting fought upon; we're fucked.... There's gonna be a tipping point where people that once cared are gonna stop caring.

Last edited:
First five words of the article - An Italian football anti-racism initiative.

Now sod off, and take your idiotic outlook on racism with you.
Can't see the forest for the trees.

Title of the article:
"Italian soccer anti-racism monkey artwork condemned as 'outrage'"

The article is about an anti-racism initiative in football. Not about football. Further it's about something that was supposed to be anti-racist, but missed the mark. EVEN FURTHER it involves monkeys, which have been similarly used to denigrate black people.

Unwilling to take the L I see. Instead of being so dismissive, maybe read a little and expand your worldview.

A yankee having to tell you that. Ouch.

Last edited:
Ngggghhhhh..... What happened to context, intent and so on????

What term should I use instead? .....Ruffian? .....Scallywag?

You think when my Dad calls some knob smashing up a phone-box a thug; you think he even knows who 2-Pac was FFS?

(To me "Thug-life" (tm) is reference to life-style, attitude & conduct etc.... Not skin colour.... Are we're gonna remove every word from the caucasion venacular that's been used as metaphor in hiphop?)

With the best will in the world - as someone that grew up believing that 'love saw no colour' - it feels like I'm gradually being taught to. Smilarly, if this is the level that the battle against racism is getting fought upon; we're fucked.... There's gonna be a tipping point where people that once cared are gonna stop caring.
Depends what group you're aiming it at.

It's a bit like when Tony Greig told the West Indians to ''grovel''. Grovel, normally, isn't that bad. But in that context, it was pretty hairy. Certain words have certain connotations to certain groups and you gotta be mindful of that.

Most PC shit is bollocks. But some words do have historical shit behind them.

White folks calling black folks ''boy'' for example can be construed a certain way. ''Uppity'' is another.

Can't see the forest for the trees.

Title of the article:
"Italian soccer anti-racism monkey artwork condemned as 'outrage'"

The article is about an anti-racism initiative in football. Not about football. Further it's about something that was supposed to be anti-racist, but missed the mark. EVEN FURTHER it involves monkeys, which have been similarly used to denigrate black people.

Unwilling to take the L I see. Instead of being so dismissive, maybe read a little and expand your worldview.

A yankee having to tell you that. Ouch.
Are all NFL players black?

It's an observation I've made based on having been on the planet for a while and is entirely germaine to the discussion, so hardly a straw man argument. Try not to use grown up expressions if you dont understand them.
Are you accusing me of viewing everything said as racist?

If not, why write that in a post filled with insults hurled at me?

If so, please quote the other posts where I took what was said or posted as racist.

If you can't, then it's a straw man. It's a straw man filled with hyperbole. Those always settle disagreements on the internet.

Are all fooball players black?
No, they aren't which brings us full circle.

Your initial faux outrage at Spaniel Spaniel 's post was at the use of the word 'ape'.

This posts sums it up...
The only issue I see here is that you have stereotyped speaking about NFL players - to be speaking about black men.

I don't like to see that kind of rhetoric.

Done and dusted. I'll leave you too it now.

Back
Top Bottom