Tottenham Hotspur v Man City (2/2/2020)(4.30pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's an observation I've made based on having been on the planet for a while and is entirely germaine to the discussion, so hardly a straw man argument. Try not to use grown up expressions if you dont understand them.
By the way, all of this heat from you guys defending the post because of an observation I've made based on having been on the planet for a while.

And you're just as condescending a bell end as I am Mick. At least I can admit it.

Depends what group you're aiming it at.

Well it came to be in this thread cos I alluded to thug bouncers.... No race/ethnicity/skin colour defined. (Same as the prior "Steroid Apes" comment that Spaniel made.)

If a black guy exhibits thuggish behaviour (as defined by the dictionary) is it racist to refer to them as such?

It's a bit like when Tony Greig told the West Indians to ''grovel''. Grovel, normally, isn't that bad. But in that context, it was pretty hairy. Certain words have certain connotations to certain groups and you gotta be mindful of that.

(Had to look that scenario up, but...)

Surely his intent still defines whether or not that was a racially charged comment... (Also see Danny Baker).

If not, surely it's just a clumsy peice of sporting bravado... A faux pas.

Well it came to be in this thread cos I alluded to thug bouncers.... No race/ethnicity/skin colour defined. (Same as the prior "Steroid Apes" comment that Spaniel made.)

If a black guy exhibits thuggish behaviour (as defined by the dictionary) is it racist to refer to them as such?

Surely his intent still defines whether or not that was a racially charged comment... (Also see Danny Baker).

I'm not saying it can't be used, but to tread carefuly.

As you say, it's easy to be clumsy.

Not directed "at" you, but since you're one of the few rational responders.

Intent matters

I've said that repeatedly.

I've admitted I don't know the intent, but that I'm going to take the comment a certain way based on my life experience.

The ones accusing me of faux outrage are the ones pretending to know the intent when they couldn't possibly. And they're outraged that someone could possibly have a different reaction than them. Amazing really.

Fucking hell one of our best wins in ages and the thread turns toxic discussing what is or isn’t racist, take this shit to another thread please as some of us still want to bask in the glory of this win

Man City looked light years ahead for much of this game, but both our goals were quality. Ndombele's little shimmy away from Rodri to create space and then see the pass. Bergwijn's chest control and volley - both glorious.

Feels like we will get better and better now, especially with Eriksen and Rose finally out of the club. So many reasons for optimism suddenly - Lo Celso, Tanganga, Bergwijn, Ndombele, Toby signing. Mourinho is still a top manager and hungry to prove it.

I'm not saying anything is "off limits". Just that context matters.

I didn't say I expected anyone to know that "thug" is often used in place of the N word.

Ape, however, shouldn't come as a surprise considering the banana and allegations of hearing monkey noises. Come on now.

Maybe I was hasty, but reread my first post. I used two question marks intentionally. I wanted to give him/her the opportunity to restate his post.

He hasn't.

Mick, for whatever reason, decided to play white knight (taking the piss). I think he was too hasty. 1) he kept talking about american football, when it is irrelevant, and 2) i clearly wrote "if" he cosigns. I didn't say he was a racist.
I was talking about american football because the racist angle didn't cross my mind.
I dont think like that.
Hence
Making jokes of it
Being really pissed off for being accused of something that doesn't cross my mind

By the way, all of this heat from you guys defending the post because of an observation I've made based on having been on the planet for a while.

And you're just as condescending a bell end as I am Mick. At least I can admit it.
I was doing it in response to the way you spoke to me in your post. Had you asked first instead of sniping, you would have received a civil response.

Back
Top Bottom