Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur (A) Sat., 22.2.2020 (12:30)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't have too much problem with Mourinho's intentions yesterday, or the notion of taking a pragmatic approach to a game like that, it was just his application of it that disappointed me. We didn't really do a good enough job stifling them, and the selections and structure meant we offered virtually no counter threat at all.

You can be pragmatic, reactive, whilst also offering a bit more threat.

Even if he wanted a 3CB system, why not play Aurier at RWB, and have two alternating wide outlets for the midfield. Why play two slow CB's, why not have Tanganga as a CB instead of TA or JV.

That 541, with effectively 5 CB's strung across the back, offered the midfield absolutely nowhere to go ahead or wide of them. It never became a 352 or 343 with the ball, as Tanganga and Davies offered nothing offensively. This is the touchmap from yesterday for Tanganga and Davies up to the 50th minute, which shows they barely got out of our half:

ToUkVrc.png

Then for the first hour or so we had the one up top, with Bergwijn and Moura occasionally rotating, very occasionally both together, very similar types of zippy player, but neither of these are good at holding things up and bringing others in, Moura repeatedly turns towards traffic.

I would have much preferred to see Alli up there, offering a bit of presence, I know he bumbles too, but he's still less easy to knock off the ball and more likely to play another player in when holding up than Bergwijn or Moura.

And then, at 2-0 down, just when we were getting a foothold in the game, he subs off Ndombele, leaving 4 CB's on the pitch. Whatever you think of Ndombele, he's far more likely to help us create something than any of those CB's are. It was an astoundingly poor bit of in game management.

Last edited:
Like when that Chelsea went to Wolves earlier in the season and beat them 5-2 you mean?
Well, you mean Chelsea beat them 2-5 then don't you? Don't blame me for your imprecision my friend. Now answer my question.

How much clearer can I make this, I think Chelsea have a much better squad than Wolves. I think Liverpool and City have a much, much better squad than Wolves.
You've not made it clear whatsoever. Now you're just getting mealy-mouthed. So Chelsea is 'much better' but Liverpool is like 20pts ahead so they and City can't both be only 'much, much better'. Surely Liverpool is 'much, much, much better', no? Sticky. And where does Leicester come in? Are they 'much, mu.. better'?

Would you bet that Chelsea would beat Wolves 7/10 times ie more than chance? Or would it be more of a pick'em? I'm betting the latter.

top o' the head
patricio kepa >>>wolves
doherty Azpi >>> pick'em
???? christiansen >>>
Boly rudiger >>>Chel
johnny alonso >>> pick'em
moutinho jorginho >>> wolves
neves kovacic >>> pick'em leaning Kovacic
traore james >>> wolves
jota mount >>> wolves
jimenez abraham >>>wolves

Like when that Chelsea went to Wolves earlier in the season and beat them 5-2 you mean?

How much clearer can I make this, I think Chelsea have a much better squad than Wolves. I think Liverpool and City have a much, much better squad than Wolves.

Chelsea's squad is far stronger than Wolves squad.

Wolves are a good team but the quality they have will hit a ceiling soon. Jelske a have genuine quality and in deep numbers as well. Squad wise they are superior to Wolves yes BC.

I don't have too much problem with Mourinho's intentions yesterday, or the notion of taking a pragmatic approach to a game like that, it was just his application of it that disappointed me. We didn't really do a good enough job stifling them, and the selections and structure meant we offered virtually no counter threat at all.

Even if he wanted a 3CB system, why not play Aurier at RWB, and have two alternating wide outlets for the midfield. Why play two slow CB's, why not have Tanganga as a CB instead of TA or JV.

That 541, with effectively 5 CB's strung across the back, offered the midfield absolutely nowhere to go ahead or wide of them. It never became a 352 or 343 with the ball, as Tanganga and Davies offered nothing offensively. This is the touchmap from yesterday for Tanganga and Davies:

yGCvP0W.png

Then for the first hour or so we had the one up top, with Bergwijn and Moura occasionally rotating, very occasionally both together, very similar types of zippy player, but neither of these are good at holding things up and bringing others in, Moura repeatedly turns towards traffic.

I would have much preferred to see Alli up there, offering a bit of presence, I know he bumbles too, but he's still less easy to knock off the ball and more likely to play another player in when holding up than Moura.

And then, at 2-0 down, just when we were getting a foothold in the game, he subs off Ndombele, leaving 4 CB's on the pitch. Whatever you think of Ndombele, he's far more likely to help us create something than any of those CB's are. It was an astoundingly poor bit of in game management.

Aurier would have been playing his 3rd full 90 minutes in 6 days if he had played him... we never know if fatigue or a niggle is being felt pal. I'm sure if Aurier was able to he'd have played from the off yesterday but sometimes circumstances prevent that.

Aurier would have been playing his 3rd full 90 minutes in 6 days if he had played him... we never know if fatigue or a niggle is being felt pal. I'm sure if Aurier was able to he'd have played from the off yesterday but sometimes circumstances prevent that.
That's not really the point he was making though.

It was blatantly set up to be 5 at the back with little.option to go into a three. Add the 4 in front and we had no outlet in which to get the ball up the pitch.

His set up made getting a win all.but impossible and if you're of the opinion that we wanted to get to 20 or so minutes left and then nick a winner I'd ask why did it stay a 541 until the 80 minute mark or so when we were already losing.

That's not really the point he was making though.

It was blatantly set up to be 5 at the back with little.option to go into a three. Add the 4 in front and we had no outlet in which to get the ball up the pitch.

His set up made getting a win all.but impossible and if you're of the opinion that we wanted to get to 20 or so minutes left and then nick a winner I'd ask why did it stay a 541 until the 80 minute mark or so when we were already losing.

BC asked why not play Aurier did he not? I'm just reminding him that he played two full 90 minutes Sunday afternoon and Wednesday night so maybe it wasn't possible to. Their bodies aren't machines mate.

Didnt davies do the same?

I reckon gedson could have done a job there to be honest.

Yes he did but how do we know Aurier wasn't feeling it more than Davies was? Based on how far forward Aurier plays in this new system I'd hazard a guess that he maybe covers more ground than Davies does or a deep lying LB does. Both the Leipzig and Villa games would have meant Aurier being up and down a fair old amount.

Not sure what the distance covered figures are regarding both but if I was a betting man I'd say Aurier covers more ground in a game of 90 minutes compared to the LB under the Mourinho era so far. Who's to say the reason Serge didn't start but I'm pretty sure if he was able to start and complete 90 minutes, he probably would have.

Yes he did but how do we know Aurier wasn't feeling it more than Davies was? Based on how far forward Aurier plays in this new system I'd hazard a guess that he maybe covers more ground than Davies does or a deep lying LB does. Both the Leipzig and Villa games would have meant Aurier being up and down a fair old amount.

Not sure what the distance covered figures are regarding both but if I was a betting man I'd say Aurier covers more ground in a game of 90 minutes compared to the LB under the Mourinho era so far. Who's to say the reason Serge didn't start but I'm pretty sure if he was able to start and complete 90 minutes, he probably would have.

Of course we have no idea about the physical state of them so why not then play sessengon at left wing back so we had one forward thinking wide man. I know he got injured in the warm up but he was never supposed to start.

I like the core of your post because as fans we dont consider things like recovery or situations we cant see enough but the fact he kept the same formation with the same very very defensive minded wing backs leads me to believe that this was more tactical than fitness and recovery.

He didn't start their last league game either. Will have to ask a Norwich fan about this.

Oi! Rocket Rocket ! Why is Buendia not starting for Norwich these days?
I know people who are Norwich fans. They actually exist. In fact I have even spent money on official NCFC merchandise as presents for friends kids before. However I don’t actually follow their fortunes. If I had to hazard a guess as to why he’s not playing I’d say probably because he’s a big dosser. That and he’s got a shit name.

Last edited:

That 541, with effectively 5 CB's strung across the back, offered the midfield absolutely nowhere to go ahead or wide of them. It never became a 352 or 343 with the ball, as Tanganga and Davies offered nothing offensively. This is the touchmap from yesterday for Tanganga and Davies:

yGCvP0W.png

I would have much preferred to see Alli up there, offering a bit of presence, I know he bumbles too, but he's still less easy to knock off the ball and more likely to play another player in when holding up than Moura.

The apparent reason for the flat back 5 (and the persistence with 3 CBs for the entire game) is Mourinho was terrified of their wing-backs.

And as poor as our midfield was without the ball, it was ultimately the CBs and the goalkeeper who shot us in the bollocks. Neither of their goals came from clear-cut chances. In fact, the 2 best chances they had (I'm talking xG here) were Barkley's shot that hit the woodwork (just before Giroud smashed home the rebound), and the sitter that Abraham missed, which came about as a result of another calamitous piece of defending by Vertonghen.

I know people who are Norwich fans. They actually exist. In fact I have even spent money on official NCFC merchandise as presents for friends kids before. However I don’t actually follow their fortunes. If I had to hazard guess as to why he’s not playing I’d say probably because he’s a big dosser. That and he’s got a shit name.
He is not a dosser. He is amazing.

Sad state of affairs that a fit young guy with all the modern advantages of medical advice, dietary information and physical fitness tests can’t play 3 games of football! wonder what guys doing 12 hours shifts 5 days a week, week in week out went to their boss/line manager and said I’m tired and can’t work today.....well in fact I do know what he’d say.

Then don't send your back up RB on loan, or draft in your U23 RB Hinds. Don't play a CB at RB is what I'd say to that.

Sad state of affairs that a fit young guy with all the modern advantages of medical advice, dietary information and physical fitness tests can’t play 3 games of football! wonder what guys doing 12 hours shifts 5 days a week, week in week out went to their boss/line manager and said I’m tired and can’t work today.....well in fact I do know what he’d say.

Bit of a difference playing football at high intensity to sitting on your arse hitting away a keyboard or delivering post though isn't it? Who's to say that Aurier wasn't risking a bad pull or strain if we had over exhorted what his body was able to deliver should the selection choice be down to fatigue?

Then don't send your back up RB on loan, or draft in your U23 RB Hinds. Don't play a CB at RB is what I'd say to that.

Tanganga and Foyth both able to play RB right? From what I've seen Tanganga especially seems just as able to do that job and if memory serves me right didn't Poch prefer Foyth at RB towards the end of last season? Argentina's RB these days isn't he?

Quick question.... who is Liverpools backup RB when TAA doesn't play?

Bit of a difference playing football at high intensity to sitting on your arse hitting away a keyboard or delivering post though isn't it? Who's to say that Aurier wasn't risking a bad pull or strain if we had over exhorted what his body was able to deliver should the selection choice be down to fatigue?
Erm......well that’s not exactly the kinda a job I meant.

Ha ha. This is a quality cunt-off. Creative, inventive, and on a different level to the moronic ‘you’re a cunt - no you are’ nonsense we usually have to put up with. Both combatants should be knighted at the very least. It’s delightful, and a fine use of the English language. Bravo sirs, bravo.
Yeah, this. How do I get in on one of these "cunt-offs"? Just call someone a cunt and it's off?

Back
Top Bottom