Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur (A) Sat., 22.2.2020 (12:30)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Erm......well that’s not exactly the kinda a job I meant.

What job did you mean then? You do know our plays also play football when it's not match day don't you? They do still work the other 5-6 days when a match day usually happens once weekly. Got a little place in Enfield they report into most days so it's hardly just 90 minutes here and there compared to the gruelling 12 hour days you speak of my man

What job did you mean then? You do know our plays also play football when it's not match day don't you? They do still work the other 5-6 days when a match day usually happens once weekly. Got a little place in Enfield they report into most days so it's hardly just 90 minutes here and there compared to the gruelling 12 hour days you speak of my man
Okay whatever.

Ive never seen him look anything less than committed when playing?
I know! I'm in shock.

There seems to be a consensus that they are more creative but defensively weaker when he plays. Takes too many risks, apparently. And is a walking yellow card, who spends too much time on the ground and gives too much backchat to referees. And it appears he has the royal hump about being benched.

Also much chat about Godfrey being a useless defender.

I am doing some detective work on The Pink Un (Norwich City forum), and there are suggestions that Buendia is temperamental and sulks if things are not going his way. I'll bring you more news as I get it.
Big dosser. Trust the local.

I’ve actually got no idea. All I know is people on here keep saying we should get this Norwich player or that Norwich player. They are rock bottom of the league for a reason.

Sad state of affairs that a fit young guy with all the modern advantages of medical advice, dietary information and physical fitness tests can’t play 3 games of football! wonder what guys doing 12 hours shifts 5 days a week, week in week out went to their boss/line manager and said I’m tired and can’t work today.....well in fact I do know what he’d say.

By the same token should our managers ignore medical & fitness advice and just bury their heads in cliches about the 'working man'?

It's a bit hard to swallow such a stance when we've got a backdrop of disgruntled fans saying we've overplayed and subsequently broken Kane.

Big dosser. Trust the local.

I’ve actually got no idea. All I know is people on here keep saying we should get this Norwich player or that Norwich player. They are rock bottom of the league for a reason.
I'm not trying to be glib here. They have good intentions, but they are really lacking creativity and goal-threat and they leak goals like crazy; a disastrous combo. They have, IMO, 2 players who would improve us (Buendia and Aarons), but the rest are bang average. I also like their kit, by the way.

We now need one of those weekends which have kept us in with any real chance to be honest.....Utd, Wolves, Everton etc etc all slip up....Sheffield Utd slipped up, fuck I can’t believe I’m saying Sheffield Utd slipped up as a good thing, no disrespect to them of course!!

Home games against Wolves, Man U, Everton, Woolwich and an away game vs Sheffield United. If we do damage at home it's double bubble with 4 of those 5. All about the fighting spirit now.

As I was saying to Spaniel Spaniel (that's enough sherry for one day, Doc), Wolves are an agricultural shower. They remind me of vintage Pulis-era Stoke. A set-piece team. Every time they get one, it's a big fucking event. You would think they were playing rugby. They stand around like a bunch of fucking civil engineers with land-surveying equipment. Moutinho fiddles with his tripod for 5 minutes or so, and Neves wonders when his mutation into a werewolf will finally be complete.

Last edited:
Home games against Wolves, Man U, Everton, Woolwich and an away game vs Sheffield United. If we do damage at home it's double bubble with 4 of those 5. All about the fighting spirit now.
Thing is we have 40pts now, with 11 games remaining the maximum we can achieve is 73 (weirdly enough we can add 82.5 % of our current seasons points total in the last 28% of games🤔) but as we all know we ain’t winning all 11....
On top of the teams you mentioned we have Leicester and the second of the two games a year West Ham turn up for. There is also a few tricky away games to relegation teams that I don’t fancy right now, so I’m predicting 5 wins, 3 draws & 3 defeats, 18pts, giving us 58pts, in a normal season it usually takes 68+, so even flipping the 3 defeats to wins that puts us at 67pts.......I think the damage was done early in the season and the couple of chances we had against rivals to salvage it back we have blown......
Next season will be a CL free season I’m afraid!!

Unless we win it of course🤷‍♂️, but right now I wouldn’t back us at 100/1 with counterfeit money to win it.....

Thing is we have 40pts now, with 11 games remaining the maximum we can achieve is 73 (weirdly enough we can add 82.5 % of our current seasons points total in the last 28% of games🤔) but as we all know we ain’t winning all 11....
On top of the teams you mentioned we have Leicester and the second of the two games a year West Ham turn up for. There is also a few tricky away games to relegation teams that I don’t fancy right now, so I’m predicting 5 wins, 3 draws & 3 defeats, 18pts, giving us 58pts, in a normal season it usually takes 68+, so even flipping the 3 defeats to wins that puts us at 67pts.......I think the damage was done early in the season and the couple of chances we had against rivals to salvage it back we have blown......
Next season will be a CL free season I’m afraid!!

Unless we win it of course🤷‍♂️, but right now I wouldn’t back us at 100/1 with counterfeit money to win it.....

I get that but if 5th does get Champions League. We have to remember that we are still only 1 point off of it and others round us have less than we currently have withn11 games to go. In the next 11 games can you see Man U, Wolves, Sheffield United, Everton, Woolwich etc losing 3-4 games each? I certainly can so if we can match them result for result and do Man U at WHL, simply put we'll squeeze it.

I do think an earlier than anticipated return to fitness is the make or break for us though. If Kane and Sonny aren't back until the last 3 games inthink that's too late and we'll come up short. 6 games left and I think we'll have a decent chance at pinching something. 3-4 massive games in the league coming up, I'm hoping the 8 day break will rejuvenate the boys.

Tanganga and Foyth both able to play RB right? From what I've seen Tanganga especially seems just as able to do that job and if memory serves me right didn't Poch prefer Foyth at RB towards the end of last season? Argentina's RB these days isn't he?

Quick question.... who is Liverpools backup RB when TAA doesn't play?
Joe Gomez. Who I guarantee Klopp would never play RWB. It would be Milner if he deployed that system.

You know it’s ok to say Jose got something wrong right? It doesn’t mean you want him sacked or don’t back him. He got the team selection and tactics wrong yesterday. It’s not tough to see.

Joe Gomez. Who I guarantee Klopp would never play RWB. It would be Milner if he deployed that system.

You know it’s ok to say Jose got something wrong right? It doesn’t mean you want him sacked or don’t back him. He got the team selection and tactics wrong yesterday. It’s not tough to see.

Joe Gomez, a CB is good enough to be backup RB at Liverpool then but Tanganga isn't seen as filling in for Aurier because he isn't a natural RB?

See the point I'm making with regards to bus-conductor bus-conductor and his post about not selling KWP? I've seen enough of Tanganga to know he's an adequate backup option in a different position to what his main one is until the end of the season, much like Klopp does when either Gomez or Milner fills in for TAA in a position that neither call their natural role.

Joe Gomez, a CB is good enough to be backup RB at Liverpool then but Tanganga isn't seen as filling in for Aurier because he isn't a natural RB?

See the point I'm making with regards to bus-conductor bus-conductor and his post about not selling KWP? I've seen enough of Tanganga to know he's an adequate backup option in a different position to what his main one is until the end of the season, much like Klopp does when either Gomez or Milner fills in for TAA in a position that neither call their natural role.
RB is a very different position to RWB though.

I'm pretty sure Gomez started out as a Right Back. But that's irrelevant, because a) I couldn't give a shit what another team does and b) as GDG said, Klopp would be more likely to use someone like Milner so as not to stifle his system, and c) I've never seen Klopp shit himself about an opponent to the extent that he plays 5 CB's in a deep block with 4 players just in front of them in a secondary block.

It wasn't just that Tanganga was used as a RB(RWB) it was that he was basically instructed to offer nothing as a WB.

Our midfield had no wide outlet, (and to compound this GLC - a lefty - was played as a RM and Moura - a righty - mostly as a LM meaning both constantly turned inside where the congestion was) and one guy up front - a winger - with which to build attacks, as a result the ball just kept coming back, that's when it wasn't pressed out of our midfield 2/4 who were up against Chelsea's midfield 3/5.

And that first substitution was fucking ludicrous. 0-2 down, and he takes Ndombele and leaves on 4 CB's. That's was as bad as any of Poch's in game nonsense.

And we already have a large sector of lemmings gobbling up Mourinho's divisive bullshit about Ndombele.

I'm not philosophically opposed to Mourinho as a concept, he's a very clever guy, from a character stand point I understand why Levy maybe thought he'd be a good idea, shake some apathy out of this group, but as I've just said elsewhere, this group of players is very far removed from the type of players that Mourinho has previously moulded into an efficient tactical machine, and I fear we are going to be stuck in a netherworld with him trying to make us Simeone's Atletico, the players trying to be Cruff's Ajax resulting in the hybrid mess we've been watching for most of the time since he's been here.

The closest I could think of was when he did it with Real Madrid, but then he was at least working with the league's most expensively assembled squad, with people like Ronaldo, Modric etc.

I've not given up the hope completely, but we need to do some fucking stellar business in the summer and there needs to be a fucking road to Damascus tactical epiphany from either the players or Mourinho or both for his philosophy and their abilities to match.

As I was saying to Spaniel Spaniel (that's enough sherry for one day, Doc), Wolves are an agricultural shower. They remind me of vintage Pulis-era Stoke. A set-piece team. Every time they get one, it's a big fucking event. You would think they were playing rugby. They stand around like a bunch of fucking civil engineers with land-surveying equipment. Moutinho fiddles with his tripod for 5 minutes or so, and Neves wonders when his mutation into a werewolf will finally be complete.
I can tell you're not a fan!

We have no fit striker or backup striker, I honestly don't understand how people don't see how hard that will make it for us. We've had to play half a season with a backup GK, have only really started seeing anything from one of our £150ma worth of summer investments in Lo Celso and I hate to break it to you but the only reason Chelsea had a transfer ban is because they were being underhanded to attract the top youth, the same youth they had to rely on.

Without a striker you're half defeated before you even walk onto the pitch. Anything we achieve from now until the end of the season or until one or the other is back is a bonus mate. That's just how football goes without a killer on the pitch.
And they had lol

'They stand around like a bunch of fucking civil engineers with land-surveying equipment.'

That proper made me laugh out loud. Take a bow, sir. :sonpoint:

Back
Top Bottom