Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

United have Martial who has the potential to be a world class 9 and they know it, plus Rashford and Igalho as options.

He's not been their go-to guy since he got there; be that as a ST or even a starting player in any position... Despite neither being bonafide CFs they've been juggling between him & Rashford for most of the season cos they failed to replace Lukaku in the summer.

The Abraham comment is like saying if Kane hadn’t acclimatized to the Premier League Soldado would have been our main striker. He did acclimatize so it’s a pointless argument.

It's not at all; nor is it the same as Harry..... The point is that when this season started they had no way of knowing.

Harry was 3rd choice behind Ade & Soldado; got his break under Sherwood and then given a second break when Poch finally gave up on the other 2. Never did we start a season banking on him being the main man before we knew he was up to scratch.

And Origi is far, far better than any back up option at striker we’ve ever managed to muster up.

You honest think he's up to much or are you essentially saying "LOL Jansen"....?

Last edited:
Bergwijn was a trademark “spreadsheet” signing, if you will. We have obviously been scouting him for some time (we were heavily linked with him in the summer), thought he could be a decent investment, young, potential to improve, can help the team in time, and we saw an opportunity to get him for a lowish fee. But he was not a signing that the team really needed or the manager wanted. You could probably class Gedson in that bracket too.
Exactly.
What I would term a Levy signing.

He struggled massively when he was at Man City. What he’s like now, I’ve no idea.

Whats the word on this guy?

Struggled massively at Man City in 11-12. But he was like 21 at the time. He then went to Fiorentina and became a nailed on starter and key player for them, particularly in their 14-15 Europa League campaign (they knocked us out in the round of 32 and made it to the semifinal).

Has been at Atletico Madrid since 2015 and gotten more than 100 games for them. Looks a much better defender than what I remember of his first stint in England.

Struggled massively at Man City in 11-12. But he was like 21 at the time. He then went to Fiorentina and became a nailed on starter and key player for them, particularly in their 14-15 Europa League campaign (they knocked us out in the round of 32 and made it to the semifinal).

Has been at Atletico Madrid since 2015 and gotten more than 100 games for them. Looks a much better defender than what I remember of his first stint in England.
So he’s like 30 now then? Seems like a Mourinho signing if he’s throwing everything in to winning something next season.

So he’s like 30 now then? Seems like a Mourinho signing if he’s throwing everything in to winning something next season.
Turned 29 in January I believe.

Should have a few seasons in him but yeah. He is approaching his 30s.

He's been with Simeone for 5 years so he is defensively well drilled.

Bergwijn was a trademark “spreadsheet” signing, if you will. We have obviously been scouting him for some time (we were heavily linked with him in the summer), thought he could be a decent investment, young, potential to improve, can help the team in time, and we saw an opportunity to get him for a lowish fee. But he was not a signing that the team really needed or the manager wanted. You could probably class Gedson in that bracket too.

If you look at the players who transferred in January, Bruno Fernandez might have been a decent signing for us, but not after we had signed Ndombele and Lo Celso in the summer.

Lots of rumours we asked after Hojbjerg to fill a DM type role, but with 18 months left on his contract Southampton didn't need to sell and he didn't move.

Bergwijn we'd looked at before and obviously liked. Decent signing for both short term and maybe with an eye on the medium/longer term to replace perhaps the 28 year old often injured Lamela and almost 28 year old Moura, neither of whom have great combined goals and assists records and Bergwijn has better. As we don't have an alternate striker to Kane, it means that if we move Son in to cover Kane we still have a speedy winger who can create goals.

So decent signing, and given the others who moved to PL clubs, we did good business to sign him rather than any of the others.

If you look at the players who transferred in January, Bruno Fernandez might have been a decent signing for us, but not after we had signed Ndombele and Lo Celso in the summer.

Lots of rumours we asked after Hojbjerg to fill a DM type role, but with 18 months left on his contract Southampton didn't need to sell and he didn't move.

Bergwijn we'd looked at before and obviously liked. Decent signing for both short term and maybe with an eye on the medium/longer term to replace perhaps the 28 year old often injured Lamela and almost 28 year old Moura, neither of whom have great combined goals and assists records and Bergwijn has better. As we don't have an alternate striker to Kane, it means that if we move Son in to cover Kane we still have a speedy winger who can create goals.

So decent signing, and given the others who moved to PL clubs, we did good business to sign him rather than any of the others.

I know we looked a bit ragged at times but when you look at a few of the signings you’ve mentioned in this post, he have a nice nucleus we’d can do something good with.

If they come good Ndombele, Lo Celso, Gedson, Sessegnon and Bergwijn along with Dele, Son, Kane really makes an interesting little mix that requires maybe 4-5 new additions to make a full on 22-25 man squad with a few of the other ones we current have in the ranks. Lloris, Davies, Alderweireld, Winks, Sanchez etc are all able players we don’t need to worry about that add depth so it’s really intriguing what direction we can and do take this year. The time to sell off players who have had long enough in order to gain extra funds surely has to be now.

Those I honestly think we need to consider trying to get dough for so we can reinvest are probably Rose, Foyth, Sissoko, potentially Dier, Lamela etc. All are OK but we need to make space and cash and if decent offers come in I would probably offload.

My target next year if we make a few shrewd signings and keep hold of most of our good players? Either a League Cup, FA Cup or the Europa. Well overdue one lets be honest and we still have a solid batch of boys, even if we need a few moved in and out.

Gedson was a totally unesseccary signing
We needed a ST , Kane got injured on the first week of that window and Levy failed to deliver one.
Shameful.

I don't believe signing Gedson stopped us getting a striker, it's not like we paid £20m for him. In my eyes Gedson was a good signing, he is still quite raw but he has talent and our squad went stale without signings. A new signing can improve the mood of the squad, and hopefully bring more competition for places.

Back
Top Bottom