Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But they didn't last summer because they are obviously strong. But it sounds like they aren't this summer either. The article I posted says the deal to them was virtually done before the virus, but that changed the landscape and there will be no major incomings the next window.

Of course it is frustrating. I am just pointing out that just because we aren't going to spank £50 million on Werner and Chelsea are, it's got nothing to do with ambition, just finance.

But it’s the same ever summer mate, not just because of this virus. This virus is Levy’s wet dream because it’s now his massive excuse to not spend money and he can justify it.

Players don't want to go to your club because of a swanky new stadium or nice training ground . They want to move to play at the highest level and make a name of themselves and SUCCESS.
Cheslea continue to play in a stadium that was maybe a couple of thousand seats larger than OLD WHL and are still successful.
Why did Levy seriously invest in this stadium , Chelsea didn't need to expand by 30,000 and they still remain successful. We were told the investment was to make us a big club , look at us we're as far away from success as we have been for 5 years , Levy left the squad stale and I doubt he'll be willing to rectify his mistakes in the summer.
Its worth noting that they have been desperate to build a new stadium over the past 5 years or more - they just have not been able to. Assuming football continues as normal (fans and FFP) we should be in a better place than them.

It's also worth noting Chelsea owe Roman £1.1bn, it wasn't not spending on the stadium that has "earned" the success but a shit load of money pumped in by an owner desperate to wash his money / image.

The difference between Liverpool and Tottenham is they invested in the best when they needed to.

They needed a new keeper, they signed Alisson, probably in the top 3 best in the world currently.
They needed a centre half, they signed Van Dijk, who is the best centre half in the world currently.
They needed a proper defensive midfielder, they signed Fabinho who is a top defensive mid.

That pushed them on. Other than a loss at Man City (Kompany should have seen red, and Stones saved them by millimetres) then they would have won the league and UCL double last season.

We stood still. We finished 3rd, and had the opportunity to go and make a statement. Buy the quality needed for the final step, but we stood still. Poch protected Levy in the media. Granted we had a stadium to pay for, but we didnt make an effort to even try. We half assed our approach for Grealish, and ended up embarrassed.

ENIC and Levy are to blame for as many bad decisions as they are for good decisions at Tottenham. We wouldnt be where we are today without them, but at the same time we may have more silerware if they risked things once in a while.

The difference between Liverpool and Tottenham is they invested in the best when they needed to.

They needed a new keeper, they signed Alisson, probably in the top 3 best in the world currently.
They needed a centre half, they signed Van Dijk, who is the best centre half in the world currently.
They needed a proper defensive midfielder, they signed Fabinho who is a top defensive mid.

That pushed them on. Other than a loss at Man City (Kompany should have seen red, and Stones saved them by millimetres) then they would have won the league and UCL double last season.

We stood still. We finished 3rd, and had the opportunity to go and make a statement. Buy the quality needed for the final step, but we stood still. Poch protected Levy in the media. Granted we had a stadium to pay for, but we didnt make an effort to even try. We half assed our approach for Grealish, and ended up embarrassed.

ENIC and Levy are to blame for as many bad decisions as they are for good decisions at Tottenham. We wouldnt be where we are today without them, but at the same time we may have more silerware if they risked things once in a while.

That has always been the main criticism of Levy, when we are in a position to push on we don’t then we stall and go back a bit.

Squad went stale and we didn’t fix it till it was way to late however on that occasion unlike previous ones under say Redknapp the new stadium was always going to suck not just money but man hours away from fixing the squad.

So there was an excuse I just wish ENIC had been more honest and stopped pretending it wouldn’t affect things, I mean fans even on this forum thought that Poch was just being tight with money and not wanting players.

Are we really broke tho? We still recorded record revenue last year. The loan as I understand is security combined with the money we already have in the bank.

We're going to have to be creative but I didn't read it as us risking going bankrupt.

What fun times ? Fun times for a Chelsea fan is Drogba scoring the winner in a CL final. Fun times for Mancity is Aguero scoring a last minute winner to win the title. Fun times for Leicester is that unreal title winning season. Fun times for Spurs? We get top 4 every year. Woooooooweeeeee, you are so easily pleased. And you call me a dullard ? Think you need to look in the mirror dude. I’m sick to death of Spurs as a club underachieving. You can look and dress it up how ever you like, but fact of the matter is our direct rivals win trophies and we don’t. Our direct rivals spend money on quality when needed, we don’t. Deal with it and stop moaning when people want to express their frustrations at the Spurs model.

I've glorified nothing.

My support of this club isn't based on entitlement.... I enjoy it. You clearly dont and show no signs of having ever done so.

Newsflash: Most clubs don't win stuff.

We're not broke. We are just fucking stupid.

You seen much of Wesley Fofana? Been looking closely at him this week. Incredible defender, but lacks confidence on the ball.

Watched a game where he was lined up with Saliba. 2 great athletes but they were showing their lack of routine.

I've been watching a fair bit of Youth League over the last couple of weeks. The one defender who stood out was Josko Gvardiol. Looks a real prospect

As I said in my original post, I don't think the move would happen anyway. Hardly going to spend £50m on a back up striker.

As for Kane guaranteed an injury, look over the last 4 seasons..

19/20FitnessMar 9, 2020Apr 1, 202023 days2
19/20Thigh muscle ruptureJan 2, 2020Mar 9, 202067 days14
19/20IllNov 1, 2019Nov 4, 20193 days1
18/19Ligament InjuryApr 10, 2019May 31, 201951 days9
18/19Torn Ankle LigamentJan 14, 2019Feb 23, 201940 days8
17/18Ankle InjuryMar 12, 2018Apr 1, 201820 days2
17/18Knee InjuryNov 6, 2017Nov 14, 20178 days-
17/18Hamstring InjuryOct 23, 2017Oct 30, 20177 days2
16/17Ankle InjuryMar 13, 2017Apr 6, 201724 days3
16/17Ankle InjurySep 19, 2016Nov 7, 201649 days11
13/14Back InjuryNov 11, 2013Dec 30, 201349 days

The furthest right column is games missed. If we had a genuine striker to come in, that could be a huge difference. We've been fortunate that Son has been able to fill in, and Llorente when we had him.

Thats 50 odd matches over 3 years and pressubly HK played every other match.

Look, ultimately my intent isn't to dismiss the benefit of a back up ST; i just don't see what Abraham would have to gain by coming here (even if were only being hypothetical).

I've glorified nothing.

My support of this club isn't based on entitlement.... I enjoy it. You clearly dont and show no signs of having ever done so.

Newsflash: Most clubs don't win stuff.

I used to enjoy watching Spurs. Now I get fed up of promising so much, yet achieving so little season after season. Newsflash, not every club has the resources, ticket prices, history etc as Spurs. The clubs that do win trophies. Spurs win fuck all.

Why are we even looking at this list???????????
That's my problem , why are we sniffing free agents...
A couple of their names could be good backup ST's , thats about it

Why not?

There is no downside to getting a useful player for free.

You're being pointlessly dismissive.

Are we really broke tho? We still recorded record revenue last year. The loan as I understand is security combined with the money we already have in the bank.

We're going to have to be creative but I didn't read it as us risking going bankrupt.
To be fair, with the loan, which club is going to turn down a loan at such a low interest rate during this time? It's a smart move by Levy to guarantee we are stable.

I don't believe we have 0 funds, but I think we will be restricted compared to other clubs. We have players to sell who we can use the funds from to reinvest.

Lamela, Rose, Foyth, Aurier and KWP are all players we can sell. Might not make a lot, but I reckon at least £50m can be made of them. The 2 main concerns for me are right back and defensive mid, and even with defensive mid I'd like to see Skipp given a proper run in that position.

I used to enjoy watching Spurs. Now I get fed up of promising so much, yet achieving so little season after season. Newsflash, not every club has the resources, ticket prices, history etc as Spurs. The clubs that do win trophies. Spurs win fuck all.

Yet we are still out-gunned in terms of resources by a number of teams in our league.... More teams in fact than any other league subjects a team to that's expected to compete for honours.

This is the real damage done by Chelsea & City (and maybe soon Newcastle).... Yet you choose to laud their spending.

We don't have "reach for the sky" type owners which frustrates a lot of fan's, but having said that we probably won't do a Leeds because our chairman is very cautious perhaps overly.
I have given up expecting to win anything, nowadays I just go along for the ride as it t where, I don't get upset by more ambitious clubs because they are entitled to spend as there is no law to say they can't.

Watched a game where he was lined up with Saliba. 2 great athletes but they were showing their lack of routine.

I've been watching a fair bit of Youth League over the last couple of weeks. The one defender who stood out was Josko Gvardiol. Looks a real prospect
Which game was that? I think Fofana's a better defender than Saliba, but Saliba's got fabulous ball-playing ability. Really like him.

Chelsea buying one of the world's most coverted players and we're sniffing around the free market and half of our fanbase don't care. That's why we'll never win stuff. Wake up!

Waaahhhh...... Chelsea.

Even the richest, most successful teams take players on a free if it suits then. Stop crying.

Back
Top Bottom