Japhet Tanganga

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not sure.

We've had misdiagnosis, late diagnosis and injuries long before Poch got here and it's the same medical team isn't it!?
Apparently our head of medical is Dr. Shabaaz Mughal (the one who saved Fabrice Muamba) and our head physio therapist is Geoff Scott.

Both have had their positions for a long time so it is probably worth questioning if they should retain those positions.

I assume that's why he's around though.

Whilst not on the same level, it's probably the same reason we keep Kane as our number one, haven't really tried to find another striker and barely rest him when he's coming back.

Over the last 2 seasons, Kane has missed more games than Lamela due to injury. However Kane still produces more than anyone (same amount as Son).
I think after a couple of years they should've come to the conclusion that his body isn't suited for playing in England and replace him with another decent or even better player who doesn't have massive fitness issues, but maybe that was too ambitious.

I think after a couple of years they should've come to the conclusion that his body isn't suited for playing in England and replace him with another decent or even better player who doesn't have massive fitness issues, but maybe that was too ambitious.

Amazingly, we've tried to sign others to replace him (Bergwijn, Lucas) and neither have matched his output - even during his really bad injury years.

Too early on Bergwijn yet though. I think he'll turn out good.

Football is so full of stats now that it's likely they realise that even having Lamela for half a season is probably worth it due to his brilliant output and that by selling him, it leaves us short with no guarantees someone can match it (Especially with our track record of signings)

3E5DWkz2bPPbH3PZ79kx6j-1200-80.jpg
...but Argentinian.
Nah the bloke in the picture when actually on the pitch was way way better.

Probably because a half fit Lamela is our most productive player behind Kane and Son.

For the last 4 or 5 years we had Kane, Dele, Eriksen and Son all of whom were consistently notching up 20+ combined goals and assists in most seasons - those 4 forwards were a major part of us getting a good run in the top 4 of PL.

I'd suggest Lamela had only one productive season in that time, sadly. And Moura scores a few goals but few assists, so hasn't had that many assists. Neither at the same level as the 4 above.

Obviously Eriksen left and Dele has not been so productive in the last year, and not available v ManU.

Think Bergwijn who has played about 40 games this season (in both Netherlands and at Spurs) and got 8 goals and 12 assists is the hope to replace Eriksen in our top 4 forwards - not a similar player but gets both goals and assists at the kind of rate we need. Big ask for him to step up so soon after joining us, but we need him to.

Of course playing weekend/mid week/weekend we will need to use all those 6 (Kane, Son Dele, Moura, Lamela, Bergwijn) plus Sessegnon as I cant see any of them starting all the games.

For the last 4 or 5 years we had Kane, Dele, Eriksen and Son all of whom were consistently notching up 20+ combined goals and assists in most seasons - those 4 forwards were a major part of us getting a good run in the top 4 of PL.

I'd suggest Lamela had only one productive season in that time, sadly. And Moura scores a few goals but few assists, so hasn't had that many assists. Neither at the same level as the 4 above.

Obviously Eriksen left and Dele has not been so productive in the last year, and not available v ManU.

Think Bergwijn who has played about 40 games this season (in both Netherlands and at Spurs) and got 8 goals and 12 assists is the hope to replace Eriksen in our top 4 forwards - not a similar player but gets both goals and assists at the kind of rate we need. Big ask for him to step up so soon after joining us, but we need him to.

Of course playing weekend/mid week/weekend we will need to use all those 6 (Kane, Son Dele, Moura, Lamela, Bergwijn) plus Sessegnon as I cant see any of them starting all the games.

Last 4 years (in order of productivity):

KANE:
137 goals and assists in 141 games
Involved in a goal every 1.02 games

SON:
104 goals and assists in 134 games
Involved in a goal every 1.30 games

LAMELA:
39 goals and assists in 58 games
Involved in a goal every 1.50 games

DELE:
96 goals and assists in 150 games
Involved in a goal every 1.55 games

ERIKSEN:
95 goals and assists in 153 games
Involved in a goal every 1.60 games

LUCAS: (2 and a half seasons)
32 goals and assists in 69 games
Involved in a goal every 2.15 games

I mean - I think it's obvious why we keep Lamela around. Yes, it's a shame he plays over half less games than the others but his productivity in comparison is relatively impressive.

Kane however is just a monster.

Last edited:
...and should have been double that. ☹

Just found this, and yes we all called him "sick note" but it's interesting;

Darren Anderton has made a total of 379 club appearances (including those as a substitute), while Jamie Redknapp has managed a total of 300 exactly, giving the man they call Sick-Note an average of almost eight appearances more per season. Throw international caps into the equation and Anderton shoots even further ahead, bringing his average number of senior appearances for club and country to a whopping 40.9 matches per season, compared to Redknapp's 31.7.

No idea how true that is, seems very high to me ?
It would be interesting to see exactly how many games he missed, compared to other players over, say, a 10 year period.

Darren Anderton has made a total of 379 club appearances (including those as a substitute), while Jamie Redknapp has managed a total of 300 exactly, giving the man they call Sick-Note an average of almost eight appearances more per season. Throw international caps into the equation and Anderton shoots even further ahead, bringing his average number of senior appearances for club and country to a whopping 40.9 matches per season, compared to Redknapp's 31.7.

It would be interesting to see exactly how many games he missed, compared to other players over, say, a 10 year period.

He averaged 22 league games a season over 12 years.

Ledley King managed 21 league games a season over the same period of years. Which is quite incredible really considering Kings documented injury problems and lack of training.

+ Redknapp is a an odious little shite.

"Shaggy is a yido!"

I wonder what the stats would be like if you excluded the first few seasons with us before Anderton got crocked - I'm sure he was injury free until around 1995. After that, I reckon his average no. of league games is going to be around 20 a season.

Amazingly, we've tried to sign others to replace him (Bergwijn, Lucas) and neither have matched his output - even during his really bad injury years.

Too early on Bergwijn yet though. I think he'll turn out good.

Football is so full of stats now that it's likely they realise that even having Lamela for half a season is probably worth it due to his brilliant output and that by selling him, it leaves us short with no guarantees someone can match it (Especially with our track record of signings)
It's a little early to determine Bergwijn can't match it, no?

(and I'm a fan of Lamela, really wish he could stay fit)

Last 4 years (in order of productivity):

KANE:
137 goals in 141 games
Involved in a goal every 1.02 games

SON:
104 goals in 134 games
Involved in a goal every 1.30 games

LAMELA:
39 goals in 58 games
Involved in a goal every 1.50 games

DELE:
96 goals in 150 games
Involved in a goal every 1.55 games

ERIKSEN:
95 goals in 153 games
Involved in a goal every 1.60 games

LUCAS: (2 and a half seasons)
32 goals in 69 games
Involved in a goal every 2.15 games

I mean - I think it's obvious why we keep Lamela around. Yes, it's a shame he plays over half less games than the others but his productivity in comparison is relatively impressive.

Kane however is just a monster.

Great job. Do things look very different if you account for assists? I would assume Eriksen jumps up quite a bit then.

Great job. Do things look very different if you account for assists? I would assume Eriksen jumps up quite a bit then.

That's a good point.... I thought that's what "Involved in a goal" was meant to account for, but it doesn't. Those ratios are goals scored.

Back
Top Bottom