Japhet Tanganga

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Last 4 years (in order of productivity):

KANE:
137 goals and assists in 141 games
Involved in a goal every 1.02 games

SON:
104 goals and assists in 134 games
Involved in a goal every 1.30 games

LAMELA:
39 goals and assists in 58 games
Involved in a goal every 1.50 games

DELE:
96 goals and assists in 150 games
Involved in a goal every 1.55 games

ERIKSEN:
95 goals and assists in 153 games
Involved in a goal every 1.60 games

LUCAS: (2 and a half seasons)
32 goals and assists in 69 games
Involved in a goal every 2.15 games

I mean - I think it's obvious why we keep Lamela around. Yes, it's a shame he plays over half less games than the others but his productivity in comparison is relatively impressive.

Kane however is just a monster.

Its the fact that Lamela is often injured and therefore cannot be trusted to be available if another player is injured which has always been the biggest problem - 58 games in 4 seasons which is way less than half the DESK availability tells its own story. And its always the ('sods law') problem that when we need another AM he's not fit !

Thought his productivity was less, but happy to take your figures - Lamela, Dele and Eriksen actually have very similar productivity ratios (1.50, 1.55, 1.6), and all very acceptable (suspect Dele's form over the last year or so have depressed his statistics).

Bergwijn's combined goals and assists in Netherlands over the 18 months before he moved to Spurs were between Kane and Son's ratios - hopefully he'll transfer something like that ratio to PL and in the short time he's been at Spurs that's looked promising.

I wonder what the stats would be like if you excluded the first few seasons with us before Anderton got crocked - I'm sure he was injury free until around 1995. After that, I reckon his average no. of league games is going to be around 20 a season.
According to wiki and from/inc 1995 to when he left us in 2004 when he was injured for pretty much the whole year;

Spurs app - 227
England - 26

Total - 253

253 / 9 years = 28.11 app per season.

That's not too bad I think. The 3 previous seasons for us which are not included in the above

92/93 - 41 app
93/94 - 45
94/95 - 45

Eng - 9

Total - 140/ 3 years = 46.67 app per season.

According to wiki and from/inc 1995 to when he left us in 2004 when he was injured for pretty much the whole year;

Spurs app - 227
England - 26

Total - 253

253 / 9 years = 28.11 app per season.

That's not too bad I think. The 3 previous seasons for us which are not included in the above

92/93 - 41 app
93/94 - 45
94/95 - 45

Eng - 9

Total - 140/ 3 years = 46.67 app per season.

So...he probably missed about 18 games a season on average over those 9 seasons. Not so good.

Dier and Sanchez have looked pretty solid at CB, but I think Japhet is something special and as soon as he is fit he makes the CH position his own.

Dier and Sanchez have looked pretty solid at CB, but I think Japhet is something special and as soon as he is fit he makes the CH position his own.

No disrespect to Japh but Dier and Davinson have played very well in these two matches, Japh's last start at CB was against Wolves where he was responsible for all 3 goals we conceded. He is an exciting talent but I think we will see him more at full-back until he has developed a bit more. There's no shame in that, Chiellini, Ramos, Puyol, many top CBs have had a spell at full-back while they are learning the game.

If we bring anyone else in next season I think he'd be better of getting a loan. He's still so young that it'd be great experience for him.

Back
Top Bottom