Tottenham v Man Utd (Friday, June 19th)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

20200620-115657.jpg

[/img]

Now I admit that I didn't see the game and only the highlights but it seems like:
1. Too defensive?
2. Why wasn't ndombele starting?
3. Kane seemed anonymous (symptomatic of his form this year or was it the formation and tactics to blame...I mean seriously who has tactics that negate your own star striker...no way should Maguire be able to keep him quiet )
4. Why is diet playing CD? I'm pretty sure that penalty doesn't happen if an experienced CD is playing...how was his overall game last night?

Love to hear people's thoughts ...
1. you could expect this even before the match.
2. I didn't expect ndombele would get started. He couldn't play in the double pivot midfield because he was too lazy without the ball.
3. That's the reality we must admit. Kane was no longer the player who he was in his prime years. His pace was degraded whenever he recovered from injuries. Mourinho tactics has made him looks even worse.
4. That was really a mistake made by Dier and cost us 3 points.

And some very good technique from Stevie B, had we conceded by a lump upfield from DaGea would that be an indication that MU are rubbish?

Man U are very average. Pretty much all their good moments this season have come on the counter attack as they do have a lot of pace if they are given space to run at you. We just ceded possession to them last night after we went ahead and Jose decided to park the bus. They didn’t know what to do with the ball as they’re not very good when they have the ball and are asked to play. I felt when watching it that we were comfortable enough defensively. I fully expected though we’d have some kind of a brain fart and give them a lifeline by conceding a soft goal, which is exactly what we did.

If we really trusted him and wanted the win ............
We would play Ndombele, but he didn't even get 20 mins

Did Gedson come on and play in the position Tanguy would usually though or did he play out wide Bergwijn position style?

In a game where we needed energy I can completely understand why Mourinho went for two with bundles of energy in Sissoko and Winks ahead of the somewhat cumbersome Tanguy we have seen so far.

It’s on game back, let’s see how it all turns out but with a player still very much coming to terms with the league inna huge game I’m not concerned with the managers decision just yet.

Man U are very average. Pretty much all their good moments this season have come on the counter attack as they do have a lot of pace if they are given space to run at you. We just ceded possession to them last night after we went ahead and Jose decided to park the bus. They didn’t know what to do with the ball as they’re not very good when they have the ball and are asked to play. I felt when watching it that we were comfortable enough defensively. I fully expected though we’d have some kind of a brain fart and give them a lifeline by conceding a soft goal, which is exactly what we did.
Did you perceive that the brain fart would come from the referee

Did you perceive that the brain fart would come from the referee

Martin Tyler referenced when the penalty was awarded , that it was their 16th of the season. That’s a staggering number for a bang average team that struggles to score goals. Only for VAR, that same referee had awarded them a 17th moments later. They’ve always got the breaks. There’s a general yearning from all vested parties be it the EPL, Sponsors, Sky, media to have them back at the top of the pile as nobody can print and generate money the way Man U do, all the more so when they’re winning.

Gedson came on and replaced Bergwijn out wide left did he not? I don’t recall seeing him in the middle that often so I wouldn’t read too much into that

Lamela/Stevie who both played pretty wide

for

Gedson/GLC

....Could have easily been GLC/Ndombele positionally speaking IF Jose wanted it..... Beg's the question why he didn't want it.

Odd though we seemed to eventually overload the left with Son & Gedson (and often GLC) all occupying similar space by the end.

Lamela/Stevie who both played pretty wide

for

Gedson/GLC

....Could have easily been GLC/Ndombele positionally speaking IF Jose wanted it..... Beg's the question why he didn't want it.

Odd though we seemed to eventually overload the left with Son & Gedson (and often GLC) all occupying similar space by the end.

If a toss up between Tanguy or Gio coming on, the gaffer 100% chose the right lad to pick. You mentioned in another post about GLC just needing to add a little more but overall happy with what you see. Truer words never said about the Argentine but with a critical game so evenly poised, would throwing Ndombele in whereby a mistake sets him back months he a shrewd choice? Who knows the reasons but whatever they were they were made with a sound reason I am certain.

If a toss up between Tanguy or Gio coming on, the gaffer 100% chose the right lad to pick. You mentioned in another post about GLC just needing to add a little more but overall happy with what you see. Truer words never said about the Argentine but with a critical game so evenly poised, would throwing Ndombele in whereby a mistake sets him back months he a shrewd choice? Who knows the reasons but whatever they were they were made with a sound reason I am certain.

I'd hope so, but I can't shift the concern that it's cos Jose isn't seeing the work-rate in TN.

It's opting for Gedson over TN that concerns me; Gio on was a no-brainer.

Hairy‘s Post Match Thoughts:

1. Hugo was immense. MOTM for me. A couple of spectacular saves.

2. Dire /Sanchez CB combination is frightening. Thought Dire held his own for the most part, but Sanchez was still his spastic self. I was shocked by Jose’s choice here.

3. Bergwijn showed me another gear I didn’t realize he had. Very pacy goal. Color me impressed. He also has some upper body strength

4. The first PEN was marginal, but the second one, which was overruled, may have been the worst call in the history of football.

5. I’m still a Winks guy. Not a world class athlete, but the guy can trap and pass.

6. Serge has to go, weakest spot in the 11. His passing is abominable

7. Harry pulled another disappearing act yesterday. Sure he wasn’t getting service, but sometime you have to create your own opportunities

8. Lamela.......... ugh............ if he could just make that final pass. Lord know he’s at it 110%, but results are not there.

9. Long stretches of time when we looked gassed, and couldn’t get it out of our own third. But...... no subs until around 70 minutes from Jose. And you get FIVE now!

10. LoCelso should have started, or at LEAST come on a lot earlier. 2nd or 3rd best player on the squad.

11. Number 11 misread the memo. It’s BLACK Lives Matter.....not Blonde.

COYS!

Back
Top Bottom