Tottenham v Man Utd (Friday, June 19th)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If a toss up between Tanguy or Gio coming on, the gaffer 100% chose the right lad to pick. You mentioned in another post about GLC just needing to add a little more but overall happy with what you see. Truer words never said about the Argentine but with a critical game so evenly poised, would throwing Ndombele in whereby a mistake sets him back months he a shrewd choice? Who knows the reasons but whatever they were they were made with a sound reason I am certain.
Ndombele should have come on the moment they scored their pen. Play him as a 10 if you don't trust his defensive work rate. We needed a goal.

Was such an odd match to watch. Got home to turn it on a few minutes after Stevie B scored, was listening to radio up to then. It just seemed off somehow. Glad we got a point, but even when the pen was given with us holding a 1-0 lead, I was like "Meh."

And some very good technique from Stevie B, had we conceded by a lump upfield from DaGea would that be an indication that MU are rubbish?
There's no problem lumping the ball upfield if there's Kane or Son in the general vicinity to get on the end of it. In the second half yesterday we resorted to lumping it upfield when we had no player within 40m of where the ball landed.

Can’t bear to watch anymore under that stubborn defensive old man. A wealth of attacking talent are slowly having the life sucked out of them. United were there for the taking and mourinho breathed new life into them with his negative tactics, but it’s ok coz V.A.R. Is to blame. Watching Harry Kane being deployed as a defensive midfielder, Heung Min Son being forced to stay out wide or as a covering left back, watching us pass backwards to Hugo so he can smash it long over the heads of all those players who were so creative and potent under poch to a lonesome Harry Kane is driving me nuts.

Mourinho is not the man to take us forward. His time has come and gone.
I can’t listen to him rambling on like a delusional pundit in his post match interviews anymore. Modern football has passed him by and he will bring us nothing but mediocrity. our stadium is one of, if not THE, best in the world and for that I have respect for Daniel Levy but I have always had my doubts about his footballing decisions. Martin Joll has us going in the right direction so Levy sacked him. Redknapp had us going in the right direction so Levy sacked him. Pochettino had us playing at a level that was pleasing to all fans and players alike, so Levy sacks him and takes a gamble on a has been.

We have the facilities to be one of the best teams in the world but we are heading the other way. Although I will never stop supporting spurs I won’t be watching our next game against the hammers coz it’s just not spurs at the moment. Levy needs to swallow his pride and realise that he’s got this one wrong. Pochettino was the right man and should have been supported financially to re-build.

Mourinho out please.
pochettino back please.

That last bit is spot on I think.. Poch deserved the money to rebuild the squad. He knew the squad needed improvement and identified some players to make that happen.
Yes he was stubborn with his tactics and rubbed players the wrong way sometimes. But he had a plan on the field which was well coached.

I can see JM playing defensively with no crowd.

There's no problem lumping the ball upfield if there's Kane or Son in the general vicinity to get on the end of it. In the second half yesterday we resorted to lumping it upfield when we had no player within 40m of where the ball landed.
Agreed but that wasn’t the gist of my conversation

Hairy‘s Post Match Thoughts:

1. Hugo was immense. MOTM for me. A couple of spectacular saves.

2. Dire /Sanchez CB combination is frightening. Thought Dire held his own for the most part, but Sanchez was still his spastic self. I was shocked by Jose’s choice here.

3. Bergwijn showed me another gear I didn’t realize he had. Very pacy goal. Color me impressed. He also has some upper body strength

4. The first PEN was marginal, but the second one, which was overruled, may have been the worst call in the history of football.

5. I’m still a Winks guy. Not a world class athlete, but the guy can trap and pass.

6. Serge has to go, weakest spot in the 11. His passing is abominable

7. Harry pulled another disappearing act yesterday. Sure he wasn’t getting service, but sometime you have to create your own opportunities

8. Lamela.......... ugh............ if he could just make that final pass. Lord know he’s at it 110%, but results are not there.

9. Long stretches of time when we looked gassed, and couldn’t get it out of our own third. But...... no subs until around 70 minutes from Jose. And you get FIVE now!

10. LoCelso should have started, or at LEAST come on a lot earlier. 2nd or 3rd best player on the squad.

11. Number 11 misread the memo. It’s BLACK Lives Matter.....not Blonde.

COYS!
I thought Sanchez should put more efforts on practicing his heading clearance technique. So many times, he headed the ball to dangerous area.

Winks did showed some improvements.

I was surprised that Lamela got started. He played in the central area to lead the attack. This position where he rarely played. He looked energetic and quite often dropped back to help the midfield. However, I was disappointed that his final passes were awful. Our attacks were always terminated by his misplaced final pass. Doesn't look Lamela is better than the current version of Alli.

Id quite like to see N'Dombele in the role Lamela was in last night, sat behind Kane with Son and Bergwijn/Lucas either side. Loads of options for him and with no Eriksen anymore hes probably our best slide-rule passer

Plot twist: Son = highest rated player for this mob.

Anyone seen the first half possession stat anywhere?

The fact that the author of this thinks Son was top performer makes the rest of what they write irrelevant. Probably some South Korean fanboy/girl- unless of course it is based purely on stats for things like dribbles and shots attempted which underlines the ineffectiveness of rating players on statistics alone. Certainly not Son’s best game!

Kane is a certain kind of player, an Ian Rush type, deadly in front of goal but can’t really pick up the ball early and run with it, like Sonny can, for instance.
So I think he needs a particular type of play (high press?) and specific service.

It shouldn’t be generic attack football (and certainly not a defensive centric strategy) when Kane is playing, the team strategy has to revolve around him, because, surprise surprise Jose, only goals win games and Kane can do it for you if the attacking strategy is considered and right.

Our Harry is not match fit but I don’t believe that explains his lack of participation in the ManU game, I think he was out of the game strategically and when you have a player of Kane’s quality who can win games, you’ve got to consider him central to the match strategy, I don’t think Jose did that at all the other night.

Kane is a certain kind of player, an Ian Rush type, deadly in front of goal but can’t really pick up the ball early and run with it, like Sonny can, for instance.
So I think he needs a particular type of play (high press?) and specific service.

It shouldn’t be generic attack football (and certainly not a defensive centric strategy) when Kane is playing, the team strategy has to revolve around him, because, surprise surprise Jose, only goals win games and Kane can do it for you if the attacking strategy is considered and right.

Our Harry is not match fit but I don’t believe that explains his lack of participation in the ManU game, I think he was out of the game strategically and when you have a player of Kane’s quality who can win games, you’ve got to consider him central to the match strategy, I don’t think Jose did that at all the other night.
Begs the question of why isolate and starve the best threat we have, it seems we were more concerned about utd which considering our defence is understandable.

Yeah I see that point. If you have seen the Last Dance documentry then certainly you can see some athletes just wouldn't come off.
But I've also seen and worked with players who sacrifice themselves for the good of the team. You just get different mentalities with different individuals. These people would think they are being heroic by sacrificing themselves.

Everyone knows that Kane will stay on even if he is crawling on the pitch. But he then has to make an assertion as to whether that is the right thing to do. Of course JM needs to call it ultimately.

From listening to his post match interview, I wouldn't be surprised if Harry plays the full 90 of all remaining games if available.

Oh for crying out loud a footballer will not ask to come off. He's the England captain and someone I should think should also be the spurs captain. There are plenty of people in the right jobs to assess fitness and performance. Jose gets all that info and decides. We DO NOT have a striker on the bench. Why are we going to take one off?

Back
Top Bottom