Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

When some spend as much time as they do talking up seemingly any young foreign player they've almost ever heard of and saying some ridiculous things, it's hard to take them seriously.

What about the Brazilian lad at Fiorentina you were lamenting us not being in for? Straight back to Brazil after being called a weakling/flop?

Is it a computer game thing?

Lol@having another pop at Harry Kane btw.

This is one of the reasons many of us are sceptical. If results aren't great at the start of next season things will unravel very quickly. If he us getting stick from fans/press or anyone in between he will cite the transfer policy.
I suppose one way to look at it is perhaps if (or when) shit starts to really go down hill at speed, Mourinho will be one of the few managers we’ve had over the past decade who would be willing to publicly call out the ridiculous way we go about signing players. It will be interesting to see.

When some spend as much time as they do talking up seemingly any young foreign player they've almost ever heard of and saying some ridiculous things, it's hard to take them seriously.

What about the Brazilian lad at Fiorentina you were lamenting us not being in for? Straight back to Brazil after being called a weakling/flop?

Is it a computer game thing?

Lol@having another pop at Harry Kane btw.

You’re pretty decided on the fact that Ndombele is shit. I guess you are hoping that he won’t turn it around?

Pedro was looking solid at Fluminense, and should we believe his agent, Real Madrid also liked what they saw. A deal was practically agreed on, but real pulled out when he did his knee. Don’t know if he is just another Brazilian struggling going to Europe or if he’s still got problems with the knee.

No computer game. I’m not sure any game would rate Pedro

As long as Kane is made some sort of super human around here, I’ll be on his back when he underperforms

Are you saying Pocchetino wouldn't have brought better players into the squad had he been given the backing and the funds to do so!!

No offence. But this is delusional stuff mate.

Poch spent serious sums on some players - Sanchez and Ndombele come to mind as record purchases. Have either been outstanding since at Spurs ?

Would you have preferred Bruno Fernandes rather than Ndombel;e for the same kind of price ?

Jansen was personally scouted by poch, but hardly played. Still almost £20m spent. Good value ?

Only at Chelsea and Mancity are funds almost unlimited - but funnily enough manager doesn't buy players, a dof does. Same as Liverpool - compare Liverpool's purchases whilst Poch around and work out who got better players - and not just the expensive ones, Robertson (ex Hull) for circa £8m was a LB we needed and could certainly do with now, Joe Gomez (ex Charlton) CB/RB .. circa £5m, again we could do with him now as we could a few years ago rather than £10m Foyth.

Do you ever follow Spurs or just jump in to complain about Levy ?

Maybe I’ll have a look later. I may not remember this right, but you are ready to cash in on Ndombele ASAP, cos you think he’s lazy?
If he doesn't change his attitude, he should be sold IMO. His workrate would be a massive issue at any other big club that broke a transfer record to sign him. How it can be ignored is ridiculous.

Off the ball is critical in midfield, especially defensively.

Didnt he want Mane, Zaha & Sancho at various points?

- City refused to sell Sancho to us.
- Despite reported interest in Zaha from us and other top EPL teams... No-one was prepared to meet CPs OTT asking price.
- Rightly or wrongly we weren't prepared to break our wage-ceiling for Mane at the time. (Harry, Hugo, Eriksen etc. hadn't had their notable pay hikes at that point.)

- Despite reported interest in Zaha from us and other top EPL teams... No-one was prepared to meet CPs OTT asking price.
- Rightly or wrongly we weren't prepared to break our wage-ceiling for Mane at the time. (Harry, Hugo, Eriksen etc. hadn't had their notable pay hikes at that point.)
yes i appreciate all the reasons but its revisionist to say he just wanted rubbish. I could have added Martial snd Maguire as well.

yes i appreciate all the reasons but its revisionist to say he just wanted rubbish. I could have added Martial snd Maguire as well.

- Martial was another big wedge that has delivered relatively little for Utd so far.
- McGuire - A huge fee with plenty still to prove.

If I'm playing fantasy football about players outside of the clubs typical price range I can think of much more appealing options than Martial, Zaha & McGuire...

- Martial was another big wedge that has delivered relatively little for Utd so far.
- McGuire - A huge fee with plenty still to prove.

If I'm playing fantasy football about players outside of the clubs typical price range I can think of much more appealing options than Martial, Zaha & McGuire...
Its not fantasy football. All players that he wanted and we were heavily linked with. Hardly fair just to say he wanted Berahino, Mussachio etc and dismiss anyone half decent. Oh and De Jong.

Its not fantasy football. All players that he wanted and we were heavily linked with. Hardly fair just to say he wanted Berahino, Mussachio etc and dismiss anyone half decent. Oh and De Jong.

If we're taking about players beyond our grasp (be that financial or due to other means) then, in a sense, yes that is 'fantasy'.

It's easy to say "I want De Jong" for instance... So did the rest of football!

Meanwhile, "heavily linked" is a bit of a dubious notion in general.... A few internet/tabloid rumours is all these things usually amount to at best.... Some more believable than others.

Lots of what you say is true.

Would you also remind us which players were out through injury through the Mourhino time, Lloris, Kane, Son, Bergwijn, Sissoko et al and the approximate dates.

Also worth commenting that Poch hardly brought any good players into the squad over his time (Son and Winks honourable exceptions), hadn't replaced players like Rose (despite his mouth off and loss of form over 2-3 seasons), had hardly brought any youth through into the first team squad and had generally run the main players into the ground with little rotation. And bought the highest priced player Spurs has ever bought who is a bit of an enigma still, not unlike Janssen in that he was hand scouted by Poch, we just hope Ndombele doesn't go the same way. So the squad JM inherited was on its last legs.
1. NOT according to Jose it not on it's last legs. He "loves this team" he "see's NO need to replace the players". "it's a fantastic squad". I do recognise it was looking jaded, but he's the rub he wanted a rebuild and told us all it will be "painful", he didn't get one.
2. Poch ALSO had to deal with TWO seasons back to back with our worst injury-hit seasons we've had on record. His last full season only five players had a pre-season and they weren't all first-team players on account of most of our first team going on deep runs in the World Cup. I might add not a hint of complaint from him, got his nut down and found solutions to have us finish 4th, get to a League Cup semi-final and a CL final whilst playing virtually every game away from home!!! THIS is called management. This is called managing adversity. Perhaps had he complained every press conference about not haveing (Lloris, Kane x3, Son, Dembele multiple times, Dele multiple time, Rose out for 18mths, Toby x2, Jan x3 last two seasons, Winks x2 long term ankle injuries, Son, Sissoko & Dier) not a single complaint, just got on with it, found solutions.
3. I don't see what Poch record for bringing not enough homegrown players through has to do with anything, Tanganga is the ONLY one who Jose has brought through, Poch had already put in his trust Bentaleb, Kane, Mason & had Carroll playing on occasion, ripping Chelsea to bits 5-3 in the process, as opposed to playing low-block shite against similar or inferior teams in quality to us. He also enabled us to receive appox £100m in the sale of our academy players (none of whom have proved we were wrong not to sell).
4. Ndombele was regarded as one of Europes most talented midfielders before he arrived, the fact Jose hasn't played him is scandalous. But hey Jose's record for ostracize Wolrd Class players is there for all to see, De Bruyne, Salah, Rashford to name but three.

Why not choose to interpret that form table you posted that way then G?

Why?

Because you completely lack objectivity on the subject; opting for negative spin every time.

Have I praised Jose? Nope..... Try harder.
Jose is negative, he moans in every press conference about something or another. His football is negative. His results are negative?

What is there to be positive about? Please list them, change my mind.

If we're taking about players beyond our grasp (be that financial or due to other means) then, in a sense, yes that is 'fantasy'.

It's easy to say "I want De Jong" for instance... So did the rest of football!

Meanwhile, "heavily linked" is a bit of a dubious notion in general.... A few internet/tabloid rumours is all these things usually amount to at best.... Some more believable than others.
So we believe about all the failures he wanted but anyone half decent was unrealistic? I think the original point if there was one was that he wasnt backed enough for someone delivering regular champions league football.

we weren't prepared to break our wage-ceiling for Mane at the time. (Harry, Hugo, Eriksen etc. hadn't had their notable pay hikes at that point.)

"dont forget Wijnaldum, too, Dad"

images

Rightly or wrongly? What could possibly have been “right” about us failing to pay the money for a player of Manés quality? It has to be one of our biggest transfer fuck ups of the last decade, and that really is saying something!

Back
Top Bottom