Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who did Liverpool sign in the summer that caused them to win the league or made a considerable difference to their squad to enable them to win the league?
They were already the best team and should have been repeat champs but bottled and City pipped. Is that a more fair interpretation of the goings on? if so, then who did they have to sign with already being the best? Why did they have to get better if they were already the best? They didn't but we do because we are not the best. In fact, sometimes we barely look a functional side. So in our instance change is necessary.

I get that but it is hard. When we use to win 3 or 4-0 it would have been easier as you can bring them on with 30mins to go. Usually for us every league game is crucial to getting top 4. If we want to win a cup then we aren't good enough to drop players and put in academy ones. Skipp & parrott against colchester & we lose for example. Maybe in a few games time when its clear we won't get CL spot, Mourinho might think we may as well give some minutes to the youngsters.
Europa League group stages is a good one for that but otherwise its pretty tricky unless you admit you are not taking the domestic cups seriously.

This is the point, when we were flying there were games where we were 3 or 4-0 up with 30 minutes to go and Poch could have brought players like Onomah, KWP etc on. It was a free hit, a chance to give them experience, assess them properly with 10 first team players around them in their proper positions. And he never did. Despite having them on the bench. At the very least we could have found out if they weren’t going to be good enough about 2/3 years earlier. Cashed them earlier and for more money etc.

It’s great giving kids a go in the cup etc, but it’s often in a mashed up team of kids and reserves, and then if the team doesn’t play great or win everyone says “see that’s what happens when you play kids” ignoring the fact that it’s more complicated.

When we sign players we seem to tolerate them taking a year or two to bed in and look ok/decent (and even then not all of them ever look decent) but a kid looks meh on his first couple starts (in mashup teams) and he’s written off as unviable?

So how much have we seen of Ndombele, our record signing, this season, or Sessegnon who is our joint 10th highest value signing.

If they turn up next season it will almost literally be like 2 new signings.
Who knows. 1 or both might not be here. I am not expecting miracles from sessegnon as still learning. ndombele is the big hope. But many believe mourinho isn't a fan, hardly getting any playing time is he. Even after a few months off. But remember other teams have new signings who might hit the ground running next season as well. Not just us.

That Liverpool thing is a very odd logic that people use. we could spend a billion this summer & nothing next summer. We sign a world record CB, GK, RB, LB, DM & CB. Finish 2nd & then the following season 1st, & then claim it had nothing to do with signings as we signed no one last summer.

Another odd one is not factoring in wages. if we signed 3 or 4 world class players who were out of contract on 500k a week contracts, we could say we didn't spend a penny on transfers. Doing it the right way. It had nothing to do with money.

What's odd about it?

We spend nothing one season and then spend £120,000,000 the next

Liverpool spend £160,000,000 one season and then nothing the next.

The difference?

Liverpool have a manager they believe in, one who believes in their team, allows them all to flourish in a system that benefits them and hides their weaknesses.

Whereas we had a manager who didn't know what system was for the best, changed his team every single week and played players out of position or in positions that don't allow them to play to their strengths.

But this is a conversation for a different thread, I suppose.

I’ve just posted Jose’s comments from the presser where he says he’s quite happy with the way Spurs are run and doesn't need many players or huge investment.
So far he has been wrong on that but lets see how next season pans out. & I wonder what he means when he says we don't need many new players to achieve..... what? Top 4 & a cup? or if we finish 6th next season its a job well done?

Last edited:
To be fair, we should have

In hindsight, maybe. There's no guarantees he'd have come in and done the exact same he's done at United. He would have been joining a circus ran by Pochettino.

But you can't let someone live in your head rent free because they rate players from other leagues - when you're preaching about how we should have signed someone from..... another league.

One that's a lot worse than Ligue 1.

You're right - I'm not the one who's the football expert though, unlike you.
let's be honest, none of us are. which is why the tone really needn't be this harsh all the time.

we fans are wrong literally every day. every thread we're wrong. even professional scouts and statisticians are apparently wrong a lot. it's OK to be wrong guys. We don't need to quote 3 year old whiskey-fuelled 3 am posts to make each other look like cunts! We do that perfectly well with current posts :)

I think it is concerning that people point to how much we spent but two of those guys that we spent huge money on were unable to play for us.

I am not sure we are a club that can spend ~90 million (after spending nothing) to have Sessegnon and Ndombele sitting on the bench because they are not ready. I am not sure who to blame Poch, Levy, others, but if we spend that 90 million on guys who can actually play we are likely in a CL spot right now.

And going forward it is hard to see how either of those guys are getting into the team. Sessegnon because where is he playing and who is he taking out of the line-up? Ndombele seems to have such a terrible attitude and reacted so poorly to the justified criticism its hard to see him getting back in.

To spend so much money and get nothing out it is killer for any club. We can talk about Liverpool but if they had spent that and got two bench players they are not winning anything.

So far he has been wrong on that but lets see how next season pans out. & I wonder what he means we don't need many new players to achieve what? Top 4 & a cup? or if we finish 6th next season its a job well done?

He means I am at Spurs now with Levy who will not give me the money or players I need so I will say this to keep my job and then when we fail I will ignore these comments and talk about how Levy screwed me by not giving me the players or funds that were needed.

People can hate and criticize Jose all they want but he isn't an idiot and there is no way anyone who has a clue can look at our club and say that we don't need players or a major investment in bringing in those new players.

Whereas we had a manager who didn't know what system was for the best, changed his team every single week and played players out of position or in positions that don't allow them to play to their strengths.
We had a manager who didn’t have a second system when the legs fell off the players as they aged. We didn’t need to buy at one stage because who would we replace except squad players - and we had the same 11 playing pretty much every game. However, a reluctance to embed the outliers (the N’Jies, Janssens, Holtbys - whoever) meant there had to be a complete Plan B/ C for when players tired. But there wasn’t. For Poch to play as his teams do best, we needed to replace older with younger - but he insisted on still playing the older players and - sadly - not enough tactical variation to allow that to work. What would have worked? Buying a young player (early 20s) who has - not only - the experience to play in the high-spreading Poch- style, but also the youth to do it, and at the standard of a 25/6 year old? Ready to set straight into a top 4 PL / CL team - they are incredibly rare.

The club needed to stick or twist and got caught between the two - in the end, they stuck with the players and took the risk on a more tactically versatile manager, used to managing teams of this age.

we’re getting some churn on the squad, which I see as a good thing, so other players can get into the team, make it more fluid, rather than stuck riding the glory of a few years back. We have to change our expectations of how games are played and matches are won.

Back
Top Bottom