Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If if if if....

Sessegnon is nowhere near ready to perform at the level of a 30 million pound player.

Ndombele... let's just hope someone makes a 40m offer or something in the summer and cut our losses.
We can come back to this post one day. I kind of agree on the first part that Sess isn't ready yet but i think give him minutes and he will be, but selling Ndombele would be a huge Mistake! whats to say if we sell him and reinvest the money we dont buy another Dud? Ndombele is a huge talent , he just isn't up to the speed of the PL yet and needs more time.

Apparently our former manger thought he would be a good PL player - chased him over 2 windows. To be fair injury last June took a lot longer to clear up than expected, so no preseason and few appearances.

Completely unclear what he would be like next season after a proper preseason.

But I thought we grossly overpaid for him in the summer - he's more like a £15m player
He is a decent prospect but after his horror season where he didn't even manage to establish himself as an important starter for Fulham in their disaster season going down, I'm not sure why we'd pay 30 (!!!!) million for him to be honest.

Never a left winger either. Not a good enough dribbler, crosser, at least in the PL.

In the Championship he was great because he was able to, with his good movement and speed, get into great positions and score a ton of goals. He never had great technical ability or anything.

Reading these comments on saints web forum in regards to Hjoberg is all you need to know about him. Another bang average bit part player we are looking at, whilst our rivals go for players like Fernandes who is completely transforming them. I know Southampton fans are a bitter bunch of cunts, but doesn’t look good when the vast majority of them actually wouldn’t mind selling him.

We can come back to this post one day. I kind of agree on the first part that Sess isn't ready yet but i think give him minutes and he will be, but selling Ndombele would be a huge Mistake! whats to say if we sell him and reinvest the money we dont buy another Dud? Ndombele is a huge talent , he just isn't up to the speed of the PL yet and needs more time.
More time, more time. It's possible he'll become a good player for us but his mentality is just so so poor. Very weak.

We should have gotten more players with the mentality of Mousa, old Dele, Lamela, Vertonghen and Dier - fighters who worked hard and never gave up. But oh well... when a squad and team loses that mentality, it's very hard to get it back.

people don’t just want all our academy players to start. And they don’t expect any of them to start every week or be selected every week ahead of better options. They would just like to see the very few best ones get made more use of, given some kind reasonable, rationale chance/minutes/minutes off the bench/rotation where appropriate.
I get that but it is hard. When we use to win 3 or 4-0 it would have been easier as you can bring them on with 30mins to go. Usually for us every league game is crucial to getting top 4. If we want to win a cup then we aren't good enough to drop players and put in academy ones. Skipp & parrott against colchester & we lose for example. Maybe in a few games time when its clear we won't get CL spot, Mourinho might think we may as well give some minutes to the youngsters.
Europa League group stages is a good one for that but otherwise its pretty tricky unless you admit you are not taking the domestic cups seriously.

I am not that optimistic about Ndombelly especially, Sess has time at 20, but honestly even in his case, I'm a little wary.

I've seen nothing that has been good enough for full back or midfield yet from him at the level required.

The fact that so much money was spent on both of them for so little return on the pitch doesn't sit well, especially when we spend so little comparatively.

:mourthumb:

Uf I don't know if you know this but they finished 2nd and won the CL. We're on course to finish 7th... so we might be able to reach 6th next year then! amazing.

Didn't we get blasted for not strengthening when we finished 2nd?

I wasn't saying we shouldn't sign players - I was saying they have a system in place that allows even the most basic of players, players you wouldn't call world beaters (Matip, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Milner), to flourish.

We just need Mourinho (or preferably a more progressive manager) to get this clearly talented group of footballers together, in a working system that gets the best out of ALL of them, add key parts to that to allow others to flourish.

Who has a better squad? City or Liverpool?

Silly question right? City's pisses all over Liverpools. Yet like you say, who's the CL holders and now holders of the Premier League?

Who gives a shit who Chelsea sign. That doesn't mean shit going into next season, especially if we actually get in a key position like DM (Hojbjerg or not). Because, yeah they've got Werner and Ziyech - but that's because they'll be replacing players who wouldn't even get in our team to start with (Abraham, Pedro etc)

We spent circa £80m - £90m on the 2 jointly, so probably 2/3rds of last seasons transfer spend on them.

Hence I thought it should be commented on.

Certainly a monumental cock up if neither turn up next season.
The thing is, both of them had that much money spent more due to speculation on their future valuations IMO or being able to minimise the financial risk. Sess an even bigger premium as one of, if not the most highly rated teenager in the country at the time.

Levy was chasing another potential Bale fee in the future with him IMO, if he even makes half the most of his original potential, the club won't lose out that much money if his transfer doesn't work out. As a home grown player, it would need to be an even bigger disaster than it has been for us to sell at less than £15-20m IMO.

More time, more time. It's possible he'll become a good player for us but his mentality is just so so poor. Very weak.

We should have gotten more players with the mentality of Mousa, old Dele, Lamela, Vertonghen and Dier - fighters who worked hard and never gave up. But oh well... when a squad and team loses that mentality, it's very hard to get it back.

why did i read the top bit in a poch accent? :pochlol:
I would like to give him a season to get used to this country and the league, i have been quick to judge players before like Son and they have proved me wrong, i hope Ndombele does the same as he has such talent!

why did i read the top bit in a poch accent? :pochlol:
I would like to give him a season to get used to this country and the league, i have been quick to judge players before like Son and they have proved me wrong, i hope Ndombele does the same as he has such talent!
:sonpoint:
I hope he becomes good. I just don't think it's going to happen. Personality and mentaliy doesn't just change like that. Our recruitment has gone bonkers recently and our profiles are all over the place. I just don't want more players with attitudes like Ndombele. More steel, less weak shit please.

As i've said many times in the Sess thread - I like him as a player but I don't think people actually recognize what kind of player he is and what he is good/bad at. He could be a good left wing back, but it's going to take a lot of hard work and training if he wants to be a starter at left back, and I doubt he'll ever be a good PL winger/wide forward. But that's just my amateur opinion, as always.

They had already spent more than £140m on two crucial players they needed that have made a tremendous impact and paid the two of them more than £150k per week.

They even spent a lot of money on fees and wages for squad players that some here were hyping up like fuck yet again before they even kicked a ball.

Currently 12 players on £100k+ per week, we have 6. Wage to revenue at Liverpool is 58%. Tottenham is around 40%.

Invest in quality and you're more likely to get success.
That Liverpool thing is a very odd logic that people use. we could spend a billion this summer & nothing next summer. We sign a world record CB, GK, RB, LB, DM & CB. Finish 2nd & then the following season 1st, & then claim it had nothing to do with signings as we signed no one last summer.

Another odd one is not factoring in wages. if we signed 3 or 4 world class players who were out of contract on 500k a week contracts, we could say we didn't spend a penny on transfers. Doing it the right way. It had nothing to do with money.

LIverpool? Criticised?

:mourlmao:

Wasn't my point anyway.
At least my Liverpool supporting friends were actually pretty pissed even this summer when their mouth pieces started going on about having no cash for new signings... but obviously the criticism is less severe due to the insane cult mentality of the dippers but also with how incredibly well they've been doing recently.

to edit; I know but my point was that you can get away with not spending as much... as long as you're actually improving on the field. Can anyone claim we are?

Reading these comments on saints web forum in regards to Hjoberg is all you need to know about him. Another bang average bit part player we are looking at, whilst our rivals go for players like Fernandes who is completely transforming them. I know Southampton fans are a bitter bunch of cunts, but doesn’t look good when the vast majority of them actually wouldn’t mind selling him.
But sometimes you need someone purely ‘competent’ to solidify a position. Davies, for example, allows Aurier to push further forward. He’s no Rose, but then Rose was protected by Wanyama or Dembele when he went missing up the other end of the pitch (and, in fairness, also chased back pretty passionately) and so got away with it. The best teams have the mix of real inspiration and resolute adequacy - for every Salah (for example), there has to be a Milner; when we had Bale, we had to have Crouch to balance... I think that’s probably why N’Dombele doesn’t play - José can’t drop Gio, and he can’t trust just Winks or just Sissoko to cover enough ground, if he played Tanguy for one of them.

I think that makes sense? And, yes, I live in Southampton and Saints fans are a bitter bunch as a rule.

Back
Top Bottom