Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is the point, when we were flying there were games where we were 3 or 4-0 up with 30 minutes to go and Poch could have brought players like Onomah, KWP etc on. It was a free hit, a chance to give them experience, assess them properly with 10 first team players around them in their proper positions. And he never did. Despite having them on the bench. At the very least we could have found out if they weren’t going to be good enough about 2/3 years earlier. Cashed them earlier and for more money etc.

It’s great giving kids a go in the cup etc, but it’s often in a mashed up team of kids and reserves, and then if the team doesn’t play great or win everyone says “see that’s what happens when you play kids” ignoring the fact that it’s more complicated.

When we sign players we seem to tolerate them taking a year or two to bed in and look ok/decent (and even then not all of them ever look decent) but a kid looks meh on his first couple starts (in mashup teams) and he’s written off as unviable?
Not popular but thats why I like loaning players out if they are going to barely play. But I get that the modern way is keeping them to teach your style of play etc. Skipp & Parrott may as well be out on loan somewhere learning. Unless I am undervaluing training with your own team.

Last edited:
The majority of your posts are either hyping up practically every young player that's ever been posted about on the fucking internet or making excuses for the players that actually signed after you hyped them up.

Lol.

bmTods2.png

So far he has been wrong on that but lets see how next season pans out. & I wonder what he means we don't need many new players to achieve what? Top 4 & a cup? or if we finish 6th next season its a job well done?
Yes - was interesting he didn’t say he wanted CL or such - just to ‘win games and try for trophies’. He’s also not come out and said there won’t be transfers, just hinted there won’t be drastic changes...

personally, I’m expecting a little bit of business, but we signed Bergwin, loaned Gedson and bought Gio, plus we have Tanguy and Sess to integrate - I’m not sure there’s too big a need. (But for context, I have been dramatically wrong on every single transfer prediction I’ve ever made, so get your Mbappe, Bale, Messi and Ronaldo shirts ready!)

I too, played for my local club for many years. My great career ended aged 16. That counts, right?

Like the majority of us of a certain age, I'd guess; but that would pale in comparison to a heavyweight such as he.... I'm prepared to be in awe of his CV.... He'll post it soon... Any day now.... It's only modesty that's prevented it thus far. :bentley:

He means I am at Spurs now with Levy who will not give me the money or players I need so I will say this to keep my job and then when we fail I will ignore these comments and talk about how Levy screwed me by not giving me the players or funds that were needed.

People can hate and criticize Jose all they want but he isn't an idiot and there is no way anyone who has a clue can look at our club and say that we don't need players or a major investment in bringing in those new players.
But, he literally just has...pretty much those very words...???

Yes - was interesting he didn’t say he wanted CL or such - just to ‘win games and try for trophies’. He’s also not come out and said there won’t be transfers, just hinted there won’t be drastic changes...

personally, I’m expecting a little bit of business, but we signed Bergwin, loaned Gedson and bought Gio, plus we have Tanguy and Sess to integrate - I’m not sure there’s too big a need. (But for context, I have been dramatically wrong on every single transfer prediction I’ve ever made, so get your Mbappe, Bale, Messi and Ronaldo shirts ready!)
I see what you're saying but I genuinely think we are desperately in need of a new left back, right back, central midfielder and back up striker.

Dier's been good recently otherwise I'd have said we'd needed a central defender too, but sooner or later we also need a new goalkeeper. The longer we wait, the more risk when we can't slowly ease the new one while Hugo is a reliable back up.

What's odd about it?

We spend nothing one season and then spend £120,000,000 the next

Liverpool spend £160,000,000 one season and then nothing the next.

The difference?

Liverpool have a manager they believe in, one who believes in their team, allows them all to flourish in a system that benefits them and hides their weaknesses.

Whereas we had a manager who didn't know what system was for the best, changed his team every single week and played players out of position or in positions that don't allow them to play to their strengths.

But this is a conversation for a different thread, I suppose.
As others have mentioned the fact they were way better than us when they didn't spend compared to when we didn't. You are unwilling or can't see this. So no point people telling you the same reasons why its odd as you have made up your mind.
& I think another indicator is in how both teams got on after no spend. They won the title as they already had the team to do it. We fell apart as we were already over achieving & punching above our weight.
& again, no offence but remember what you are like when it comes to defending the owners/levy. You said there was no way we wouldn't sign anyone, & if we did you would lose your shit. When we didn't sign anyone you just defended it. So I don't think you are thinking objectively when it comes to issues like this. You are always going to defend the owners/levy on this one despite saying the opposite until it become a reality. It's good you have faith in the owners & support them but I just don't feel the same way. I know you will go against how you really feel & what you say to support them.

But, he literally just has...pretty much those very words...???

Literally just has said what that we don't need new players?

Do you think that will matter at the end of next season if we are unsuccessful? He will ignore what he said and say we didn't have enough. His words recently are meaningless fluff used to fit the narrative that he thinks is best and for right now pumping up Levy and realizing that Levy will not do what is needed is best for Jose to keep his job.

I mean you kind of do. I'm sure you know a lot and that but sometimes you're extremely biased towards your favorites and refuse to criticise them (Ndombele) while shitting on other players regardless of their performance (Sissoko).

Our very own Poch!

I've criticised Ndombele plenty of times and I've praised Sissoko plenty of times.

Sissoko is a weird case though - he went from putting in 6/10 performances and getting blasted for his poor passing, zero end product and awful touch whilst also actually doing well with the physical side of the game and putting in tackles to putting in 6/10 performances and getting praised for making tackles and running around abit, despite his first touch, tackles and end product still being relatively poor.

It sort of shows how far we've declined now that Sissoko is one of our 'better performers' in some peoples eyes despite not actually performing any better than he used to - It's just we aren't blessed with consistent 8/10 performances from Dembele, Wanyama, Eriksen, Kane etc every week.

I see what you're saying but I genuinely think we are desperately in need of a new left back, right back, central midfielder and back up striker.

Dier's been good recently otherwise I'd have said we'd needed a central defender too, but sooner or later we also need a new goalkeeper. The longer we wait, the more risk when we can't slowly ease the new one while Hugo is a reliable back up.

We are still in need of a CB even if Dier's recent improved, not great just better than it was, play continues.

The problem is that we have so many more desperate needs elsewhere that we can't address it properly so will have to at best bring in a young guy and hope he takes a huge step forward, although it appears our best chance at that is gone to Napoli.

He means I am at Spurs now with Levy who will not give me the money or players I need so I will say this to keep my job and then when we fail I will ignore these comments and talk about how Levy screwed me by not giving me the players or funds that were needed.

People can hate and criticize Jose all they want but he isn't an idiot and there is no way anyone who has a clue can look at our club and say that we don't need players or a major investment in bringing in those new players.
I agree. Obviously he isn't going to slag off levy & say we need loads more players as we are pretty poo. That is why he isn't clear in saying we only need a few more players to achieve a particular target.

I can see the argument for all of those. I’m a fan of Davies but we don’t have cover to speak of for him and with Jan gone that’s probably urgent. Both Poch and Jose think Winks is a DM so not convinced we’ll get that (or bargain basement solid, immobile type). The new Dav and Dier partnership looks solid but a young CB who could rotate comfortably (Tanganga’s still learning?) would be lovely.
Back up striker? The longer it goes on without one, the more I think it’s deliberate from Levy, Poch and now Jose just to antagonise is! If anything, a young prospect as we have literally no history of signing (and playing) decent strikers (or some old carthorse I've never heard of).

Literally just has said what that we don't need new players?

Do you think that will matter at the end of next season if we are unsuccessful? He will ignore what he said and say we didn't have enough. His words recently are meaningless fluff used to fit the narrative that he thinks is best and for right now pumping up Levy and realizing that Levy will not do what is needed is best for Jose to keep his job.
He’s been pretty consistent in expressing his thoughts, I would say.

I appreciate he has - historically - changed his tune further down the line, but I’ve not got any reason to disbelieve him now? Think about when he was at Utd and wanted Toby: he made it clear to everyone that was a fact and then it went downhill from that point when they refused to sanction the approach. It may well end up that way here but, right now, he hasn’t said he wants anyone else in particular and he’s said he’s happy with how things are so..?

What's odd about it?

We spend nothing one season and then spend £120,000,000 the next

Liverpool spend £160,000,000 one season and then nothing the next.

The difference?

Liverpool have a manager they believe in, one who believes in their team, allows them all to flourish in a system that benefits them and hides their weaknesses.

Whereas we had a manager who didn't know what system was for the best, changed his team every single week and played players out of position or in positions that don't allow them to play to their strengths.

But this is a conversation for a different thread, I suppose.
Completely and utterly incomparable situations.

Liverpool spent £173 million (over £200 million if you include Van Dijk) on players the Summer after they lost the Champions League final. At this point their team was on the cusp of greatness, they were at their peak.

Spurs, in comparison, waited until 3 seasons after the team had reached their peak (16/17) to spend roughly £120 million on 3 players. It was far, far too late. Since the singing of Wanyama in Summer 2016, we did not sign one player that was good enough to improve our starting 11 until Ndombele in Summer 2020. Not ONE player. This was despite our manager continuously pleading at the start of every transfer window in between for the club to push on and “be brave” in the market.

We had a manager and a team that was more than a match for Liverpool and Juergen Klopp in 2016/17. The reason we didn’t continue to be so was almost completely down to how our manager was subsequently backed in comparison.

Anyone who even attempts to argue that the way Klopp was backed and they way Liverpool pushed on can be compared to us needs their head examined.

Completely and utterly incomparable situations.

Liverpool spent £173 million (over £200 million if you include Van Dijk) on players the Summer after they lost the Champions League final. At this point their team was on the cusp of greatness, they were at their peak.

Spurs, in comparison, waited until 3 seasons after the team had reached their peak (16/17) to spend roughly £120 million on 3 players. It was far, far too late. Since the singing of Wanyama in Summer 2016, we did not sign one player that was good enough to improve our starting 11 until Ndombele in Summer 2020. Not ONE player. This was despite our manager continuously pleading at the start of every transfer window in between for the club to push on and “be brave” in the market.

We had a manager and a team that was more than a match for Liverpool and Juergen Klopp in 2016/17. The reason we didn’t continue to be so was almost completely down to how our manager was subsequently backed in comparison.

Anyone who even attempts to argue that the way Klopp was backed and they way Liverpool pushed on can be compared to us needs their head examined.

What position would you have strengthened following the 2016/17 season?

Would you have replaced Lloris? Alderweireld? Vertonghen? Wanyama? Dembele? Dele? Son? Eriksen? Kane?

Only position I could see us needing to upgrade was right back because we were about to lose Walker, a vital cog in a system that saw us compete. We signed Aurier (which got positive reviews for the most part) and decided to switch between him and Trippier.

They weren't on the cusp of greatness following their CL season at all - they had just about finished 4th, which they sealed on the final day.

Their 11 NEEDED strengthening. They needed a new goalkeeper, so they went out and got one. They NEEDED a defensive midfielder, so they went out and got one. Keita was signed the year before and van Dijk was in the previous window, the only other signing was Shaqiri as depth from the Championship.

No one on here predicted Liverpools rise from 2018/19 onwards. NO ONE.

Go back and read all the league prediction threads - most had Liverpool finishing 3rd or 4th again. With us, once again, above them. Even during their explosive start, many predicted they would falter.... they didn't.

Again, different thread.

Feel free to quote and take it to the Liverpool thread if you want to discuss.

We are still in need of a CB even if Dier's recent improved, not great just better than it was, play continues.

The problem is that we have so many more desperate needs elsewhere that we can't address it properly so will have to at best bring in a young guy and hope he takes a huge step forward, although it appears our best chance at that is gone to Napoli.
I think Toby, Dier , Sanchez and Tanganaga is plenty of cover for CBs keep Foyth as well as we are unlikely to get much for him we may as well see what he can do under Jose, I think the main problem is not having a decent DM protecting the back line

Back
Top Bottom