Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How different would things have played out if we had gotten Dybala? I’m assuming that means Eriksen would’ve been gone in the summer. And we wouldn’t have Bergwijn (which means a maybe a RB in January instead?).

But as far as our play. And with Poch. Would getting a player like Dybala have gotten Poch out of his funk And re-energized him? Or would he still have been grumpy? And would we have been better than14th place? What formation would we be playing?

Would it have been worth it to just pay the likeness fee or whatever it was holding up the deal?

I'll answer the last question first it 100% would have been worth it to pay the likeness fee. Dybala is worth that and more and would have been an amazing add to the team.

I think that it should have been enough to get Poch out of his funk and have us higher than 14th but it also took forever for GLC to get in and my only concern is whether Poch (or Jose) would have been willing to sit one of his favorites to get Dybala and GLC in or would him being here only have resulted in GLC being held back. To me Dybala should have meant a lot of less time for Moura and Dele but these two have been managers favorite boys so not sure it would have happened.

If used properly a team with Dybala and GLC playing in it should have been able to much better withstand the loss of Kane and still been able to create goals. It should have resulted in Poch not needing to continually run out the same garbage that wasn't working and give him options to change up the squad and tactics.

However, I worry that Poch was so frustrated/burnt out/whatever it was that it just would have resulted in the same frustrating line-ups we saw except now instead of GLC taking too long to be introduced it would have been him and Dybala sitting on the bench while Winks, Sissoko and Lamela tried to break clubs down and provided us with a masterclass on passing the ball into defenders shins.

I see Tom Huddleston is out of contract now at Derby. He ticks all the transfer criteria that will no doubt have Levy salivating at the gills. He’s free, nobody else is interested and is past it. I suspect though that our Great Leader will play it tough naturally and - even more naturally - any prospect of a deal will quickly fall apart.

How different would things have played out if we had gotten Dybala? I’m assuming that means Eriksen would’ve been gone in the summer. And we wouldn’t have Bergwijn (which means a maybe a RB in January instead?).

But as far as our play. And with Poch. Would getting a player like Dybala have gotten Poch out of his funk And re-energized him? Or would he still have been grumpy? And would we have been better than14th place? What formation would we be playing?

Would it have been worth it to just pay the likeness fee or whatever it was holding up the deal?
We could have just taken the money we were willing to spend and snatched Bruno Fernandes tbh.
:moursmall:

As in the meeting where he was sitting next to Daniel Levy? Oh yeah cause he’s gonna just throw his boss under the bus while sitting next to him.

If he wanted Sissoko, why would he not have just said as much in his book straight out? Why all the beating around the bush? It’s absolutely clear as the sky is blue Sissoko was not his first choice by a long shot.

I didn’t say he was his first choice, we know he wasn’t that summer, but there is no way on earth that Levy spends a record fee on a player without Pochettino - who was now effectively manager, we no longer had a head of recruitment at Poch’s behest - being part of that decision. No way.

Last edited:

I am not sure how reliable that is but please god be true and please Levy do not F this up by asking too much. Take whatever they are offering and get him off the team right this instance.

i would rather go into next season with no RBs then bring Aurier back in that role.

We better have a suitable replacement lined up if Aurier is sold. He's erratic but he's 2nd in the league in assists from a RB. I know he has faults but he's also far and away the best RB we have.

We better have a suitable replacement lined up if Aurier is sold. He's erratic but he's 2nd in the league in assists from a RB. I know he has faults but he's also far and away the best RB we have.
Here we go again with the assists, the last assist for Bergwijn's against United really put it on a plate for him.

His final ball is awful, far too inconsistent. He'd have 15 fucking assists if he could pass/cross the ball.

Here we go again with the assists, the last assist for Bergwijn's against United really put it on a plate for him.

His final ball is awful, far too inconsistent. He'd have 15 fucking assists if he could pass/cross the ball.
Sure, it's inconsistent but he's still 2nd in assists.

I'm not even saying I like the guy but we need to bring someone else in if we do ship him out, that's all.

Sure, it's inconsistent but he's still 2nd in assists.

I'm not even saying I like the guy but we need to bring someone else in if we do ship him out, that's all.

As mentioned before the conclusion that you should take from that assists can be overrated not that Aurier is any good. We have all seen him play and he is in no way coming close to creating a lot of chances (unless you count the ones he creates for the opposition) and is not a good passer of the ball.

As mentioned before the conclusion that you should take from that assists can be overrated not that Aurier is any good. We have all seen him play and he is in no way coming close to creating a lot of chances (unless you count the ones he creates for the opposition) and is not a good passer of the ball.
I don't know, I disagree with some of this. I think he's pretty good going forward all things considered. He's certainly not elite at it but he makes some pretty smart runs and gets in dangerous positions. His passing is not good or bad, it's passable.

We can certainly improve on him, my point is if he leaves, we need to bring someone in.

I don't know, I disagree with some of this. I think he's pretty good going forward all things considered. He's certainly not elite at it but he makes some pretty smart runs and gets in dangerous positions. His passing is not good or bad, it's passable.

We can certainly improve on him, my point is if he leaves, we need to bring someone in.

We need to bring someone in whether he goes or not.

60 goals conceded by Norwich gives them the worst defensive record in the league with Villa.

Up until about 3 weeks ago the mantra was, "Let's sign both their full backs!" 😂

I am not saying we should or shouldn't bring them in but their FB's are the least of their worries when it comes to giving up goals. The midfield of that team is more than happy to let guy run at the defense unopposed as well as leave guys unmarked.

Back
Top Bottom