Sheffield United v Tottenham Hotspur - July 2nd - 6pm(UK)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fuck football again!
Wasn't looking forward to it returning 'like this' and still maintain we'd have been better off if they'd scrapped the season after lockdown... we weren't finishing top 4, but now at least we can't blame the powers that be... it's all on us now!

Fuck this season, fuck 2020... it hasn't been right since 20seconds into the CL Final, and has been all downhill ever since.

We had our chance(s) at the league in 2016/2018... and blew it...
We had our chance at unlikely CL glory in 2019... and blew that too...

We're a busted flush, with suddenly an ageing, disinterested squad...

Coulda Woulda Shoulda...
Non potuerunt, haberet , habere debet
...that should replace Audere-est-Facere as the new club motto!

Eb_YXN5X0AI7Vvm

I mean this is one of the worst examples of defending I've ever ever seen in the Premier league

Can this be coached? In a way I feel sorry for Jose now , these are professional footballers and this is littered with mistake

- Dier's position is good and bad , its good that he would block anything that goes across goal and that he's goalside but its bad that he's playing everyone onside and not in line with his back 4
- The back 4 that you can see there is Sissoko-Sanchez-Lo Celso-Davies , I mean how on earth does that happen.
- Aurier is nowhere to be seen
- As a result of the two CM'S being made to cover in this makeshift back 4 , 4 players are free on the edge of the box , Son's left to deal with all 4 , Should Moura and Bergwijn be trakcing back too? Yes but the CM's should be there.
- Even there where Berge is , Lo Celso or Sanchez should be able to step out and block him instead that doesn't happen and he scores

this is awful.
They have 7 against 6 in our box.
They have got in behind, with 4 players arriving in the box completely unmarked.
This move started when Lo Celso and Sissoko got dragged wide, leaving a big hole in front of our centre backs that nobody filled. They get dragged wide because Aurier is so far up the pitch.
None of Moura, Son and Bergwijn have an instinct to drop into the space behind them, Dele probably would have.

They have got in behind, with 4 players arriving in the box completely unmarked.
This move started when Lo Celso and Sissoko got dragged wide, leaving a big hole in front of our centre backs that nobody filled. They get dragged wide because Aurier is so far up the pitch.
None of Moura, Son and Bergwijn have an instinct to drop into the space behind them, Dele probably would have.
Also, the ball is played backwards, so no one is offside.

Bergwijn was really good for parts yesterday but I don't think he's got the tools to play behind the striker. His close control and touch are too inconsistent and erratic... play him on the wing, need a more defensively aware and less risky player there.

I don’t think we were any better with Toby at CB at least Sanchez can move.

Sissoko played RB away at Brighton. Was terrible.

Aurier and Sanchez aren’t our biggest problems now. A DM that can’t play football and just stands and lets people run off him is much more worrying. As much as you would my want to admit it. And a bunch of attacking players that don’t have the brains to create anything and also don’t work smart or hard enough without the ball.

Brighton was terrible and an embarrassment

I disagree that Aurier isn’t our biggest problem
He was last night because he was virtually our only attacking option and he can’t cross to save his life
And while he was wasting another attack up front Sissoko and others had to cover him

But I'm not saying Aurier was our only problem last night
Plenty of others didn’t perform either but he never does

I can only remember him ever putting one decent cross in and that was against The Dippers I think when Gio couldn’t get on the end of it

I get it you think it was Sissoko’s fault last night
I thought he made a couple of howlers as usual a couple of decent tackles and passes but generally anonymous

Well let's take the crystal ball out of the equation then and look at it from cold logic.

Does this squad need major investment to get back into the top 4? Imo yes. What do you think?
Do we have the funds available? Imo No. What do you think?
Are Kane and Son going to hang around for a couple of seasons of mediocrity? Imo No. What do you think?
Are the clubs around us in a better position to move forwards than we currently are, whether it be that they have more funds available or better squads? Imo yes. What do you think?

Rather than flippantly shooting down my arguments I'm interested in why you think I'm being hyperbolic. And what points I've made above are don't stand up to scrutiny.

My initial interjection concisely puts across my viewpoint. It's not necessary for me to disect your comments word for word.

Football moves pretty fast.... Perfect example: At the turn of the year Leicester were being widely declared new big boys on the block; now they don't overtly concern you.

Projecting 10 years of doom off the back of 1 bad season is OTT.

Brighton was terrible and an embarrassment

I disagree that Aurier isn’t our biggest problem
He was last night because he was virtually our only attacking option and he can’t cross to save his life
And while he was wasting another attack up front Sissoko and others had to cover him

But I'm not saying Aurier was our only problem last night
Plenty of others didn’t perform either but he never does

I can only remember him ever putting one decent cross in and that was against The Dippers I think when Gio couldn’t get on the end of it

I get it you think it was Sissoko’s fault last night
I thought he made a couple of howlers as usual a couple of decent tackles and passes but generally anonymous
People just scape goat Sissoko because he is an easy target... he's always involved but has poor distribution so everyone gets on his back when he makes a mistake.

Lo Celso was way worse yesterday though. His worst game for us, easily.

Agreed on Aurier though - he gets into good positions because he actually knows how to exploit space and has good stamina... but he always fucks it up in the end... I don't think it's technique either because he sometimes does crazy shit, I just think he panics and overhits his crosses when he has too much time.

That was like an AVB era performance. Looked good on the eye for long stretches, dominated the game for the most part, yet let in comical goals and no end product.

Oh for goodness sake.
Is there no escape?
I switch the TV on and it's some antiques thing going on about old football programmes and this one is us vs Sheffield United...
Edit... at least we drew that one (1901 cup final)... and won the replay!

Last edited:
Bergwijn was really good for parts yesterday but I don't think he's got the tools to play behind the striker. His close control and touch are too inconsistent and erratic... play him on the wing, need a more defensively aware and less risky player there.
Unfortunately this is what happens when we adopt the "take a punt" policy, Jose has already stated that bergwijin was not his first choice for good reason he isn't good enough yet or maybe not at all.
Chelsea have gone out and purchased dcecent options that I'm fairly certain will be success, rather than wasting a couple of seasons on a player that seems out of his depth.
Again sadly this policy will continue, because Mr levy is adamant that it works and serves the business model for Tottenham, myself I am get to be convinced by it

It's fair to say that 7 or 8 of the starting 11 had a bad game (or at least not a good one). I'm not going to worry too much about it, we also had bad luck and the scoreline reflects both.

Positives: Apart from a couple of poor passes, Kane had a good game. Ndombele played some minutes and made a difference. hmm.. that's all I can think of.

It's a case of 2 steps forward, one step back. It doesn't make it hurt less, but we will win the next one.

Unfortunately this is what happens when we adopt the "take a punt" policy, Jose has already stated that bergwijin was not his first choice for good reason he isn't good enough yet or maybe not at all.
Chelsea have gone out and purchased dcecent options that I'm fairly certain will be success, rather than wasting a couple of seasons on a player that seems out of his depth.
Again sadly this policy will continue, because Mr levy is adamant that it works and serves the business model for Tottenham, myself I am get to be convinced by it
True bit I think Bergwijn is a good player... I just don't think we can play Son, Bergwijn and Lucas in the same team... they're all really good, direct dribblers who can score and cross.... but they can't fucking pass or keep possession. Need some balance.

So the lesson of your story. Eveything under Levy/ENIC, eventually, turns to shit?

Couldn't have put it better myself
Well Levy didn’t play Kane to death. Poch did, and you all applauded it......because 35M worth of back up strikers couldn’t go to Preston for 90 minutes.
Kane has to come on to be nice to the Preston fans.
You wanted that bubbly jubbly cuddly attitude at the helm. Oh well.

THREE YEARS ago I told you Kane needed a rest.
You all lost your shit over the word “dropped” and called me a troll. Live with the end result of what you wanted.

True bit I think Bergwijn is a good player... I just don't think we can play Son, Bergwijn and Lucas in the same team... they're all really good, direct dribblers who can score and cross.... but they can't fucking pass or keep possession. Need some balance.
If they were all at their best then I guess Winks, Lo Celso and Dele would give that balance, with Son, Kane + 1 out of Moura, Bergwijn or Lamela in front of them.
If Ndombele could step up that would be really helpful!!

If they were all at their best then I guess Winks, Lo Celso and Dele would give that balance, with Son, Kane + 1 out of Moura, Bergwijn or Lamela in front of them.
If Ndombele could step up that would be really helpful!!
I guess, out of what we have...

Lo Celso, Winks; Dele... vs.... Rodri, Gundogan; Kevin De Bruyne.... Doesn't inspire you to dream, does it?

Or... Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic.

I think we need two central midfielders honestly. One no 6 and one no 8.

That was like an AVB era performance. Looked good on the eye for long stretches, dominated the game for the most part, yet let in comical goals and no end product.
The Mourinho fanboys can paint it any way they want, Wilder saw what Jose was doing, changed tactics to null it and then the inevitable happened.

You can argue Norwood should have been sent off, but I'll tell you one thing, as I said last season, if he played for us, we would be so much stronger and secure in defence and midfield.

Wilder really impressed me last night.

The Mourinho fanboys can paint it any way they want, Wilder saw what Jose was doing, changed tactics to null it and then the inevitable happened.

You can argue Norwood should have been sent off, but I'll tell you one thing, as I said last season, if he played for us, we would be so much stronger and secure in defence and midfield.

Wilder really impressed me last night.

Wilder is a good coach.

You don't take a team from League One to 7th in the Premier League in 3 seasons if youre not.

Back
Top Bottom