Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not very keen to get rid of Dele, he's worth a good 10 goals a season and young and English, I doubt we would replace him with anyone better.

It's not about replacing him with someone better, it's about finding someone more suitable to how the team plays. If he scores 10 goals a season but does fuck all else and our attacking play is disjointed and ineffective then what's the use of those 10 goals

What is his best position, I really don't know anymore.

It's not about replacing him with someone better, it's about finding someone more suitable to how the team plays. If he scores 10 goals a season but does fuck all else and our attacking play is disjointed and ineffective then what's the use of those 10 goals

What is his best position, I really don't know anymore.

Auxiliary striker....

What? Exactly..... :avbcringe:

Not very keen to get rid of Dele, he's worth a good 10 goals a season and young and English, I doubt we would replace him with anyone better.
Fair point.

The problem with our transfer policy is, if we were to sell him for say 60m, we'd waste that money on 2 or 3 "low risk" signings instead of a top class player.

More bergwijin type signings yeah great.
There's no disputing his potential, but was he really what we needed at the time or was he a good deal?

Which is better for the club? The squad looks in a right fucking state IMO. Problems/lack of options at DM, LB, RB, CF after spending how many million recently after stagnating for 3 windows or whatever it was?

Tbf. Now Bergwijn is here, I'd be trying to convince someone that Lucas isn't a higher quality Brazilian Aaron Lennon, only a bit slower and with more of an actual goal threat and a moderately better final ball IMO and get him shifted out to fuck along with that other fucking PSG reject bin bargain that I am really sick of the sight of.

Edit: We're also crying out for some creativity in the final third.

Could we save money in trying utilise existing players in the squad with our super coach and turn japhet, sissoko or gedson as right back? Sell serge and use the money for another position. If Aaron’s isn’t going to much better then don’t see the point of spending money on a RB when we need it else where. Contrary to popular opinion we do have some good players we just need some to mould them into a team and also make the team more balance which means not playing 4 attackers. We should be looking at either 433 or 532 or 5212.

If I were the person in charge of outgoings this summer I’d sell Sissoko, Lucas, Aurier, KWP, Rose and Lamela this summer. That’d bring in enough to strengthen positions that are massively in need of attention.

Fair point.

The problem with our transfer policy is, if we were to sell him for say 60m, we'd waste that money on 2 or 3 "low risk" signings instead of a top class player.

I think it's this factor that gets to be the most frustrating with us. There are players out there who "everyone" knows are good or will be, and we're seemingly not in for any of them. Instead we end up with mediocre (or worse) players and hope they somehow become the next big thing. It's just a bad approach.

Why were we never in the mix for Alphonso Davies? Why didn't we take a run at Haaland or Bellingham? We know that Havertz is moving and why are we not trying to bring him here? For some reason we have this approach to our transfers like we're smarter than everyone else and going to find someone for cheap and have them turn out to be a superstar.

Between that and the idea that "they'll never play here because they're not better than..." kind of talk it just gets old fast for me. There is basically one player who can't be bettered at this point for me (Kane, obviously) and the rest could all use some competition for their spots.

I think it's this factor that gets to be the most frustrating with us. There are players out there who "everyone" knows are good or will be, and we're seemingly not in for any of them. Instead we end up with mediocre (or worse) players and hope they somehow become the next big thing. It's just a bad approach.

Why were we never in the mix for Alphonso Davies? Why didn't we take a run at Haaland or Bellingham? We know that Havertz is moving and why are we not trying to bring him here? For some reason we have this approach to our transfers like we're smarter than everyone else and going to find someone for cheap and have them turn out to be a superstar.

Between that and the idea that "they'll never play here because they're not better than..." kind of talk it just gets old fast for me. There is basically one player who can't be bettered at this point for me (Kane, obviously) and the rest could all use some competition for their spots.
We couldn't afford Alphonse Capone in his current condition, what makes anyone think that our owner's are looking to recruit the best they are not.
Instead we take cheapish punts on players like janseen or bergwijin who with no disrespect are not fucking good enough.
It's the same every year under another gullible poor cunt of a manager who gets hoodwinked into believing levy and co are ambitious fuckers which is bollocks.

Come on Mr Levy, you know this makes sense....

Lionel Messi is fed up.
  • 3 hours ago
According to the Spanish radio station Cadena Ser, the Barcelona captain has broken off contract talks after finally running out of patience with the club because of the constant rumours and allegations that he is one of the prime reasons for unrest around the Nou Camp.

Let's be conservative and say we'd get 50-60 million for him.
That's not being conservative for Dele. I'd say that's almost double what we will get for him. Some folks are 2-3 years down the line of where you are just getting to. There are no teams 'above' us that will want Dele. He is a luxury player and at least 2 seasons past his 'best'. And there is no team 'below' us that will be able to afford him financially nor tactically. If we got an offer for 40M for Dele I would snatch it before the ink was dry.

Reading these comments on saints web forum in regards to Hjoberg is all you need to know about him. Another bang average bit part player we are looking at, whilst our rivals go for players like Fernandes who is completely transforming them. I know Southampton fans are a bitter bunch of cunts, but doesn’t look good when the vast majority of them actually wouldn’t mind selling him.
Fuck me.

I need a book of abbreviations reading that forum.

They've got PEH, KWP, JWP, RH.... 🤣

You mean like the 5M we actually spent on Dele and the exact same type of punt that he was? Well in again Stevee. Every player was a nobody before they became a somebody.

Reading these comments on saints web forum in regards to Hjoberg is all you need to know about him. Another bang average bit part player we are looking at, whilst our rivals go for players like Fernandes who is completely transforming them. I know Southampton fans are a bitter bunch of cunts, but doesn’t look good when the vast majority of them actually wouldn’t mind selling him.
Mate go most spurs forums a year ago and see the rubbish that was posted about him after he said he wanted to leave.

That's not being conservative for Dele. I'd say that's almost double what we will get for him. Some folks are 2-3 years down the line of where you are just getting to. There are no teams 'above' us that will want Dele. He is a luxury player and at least 2 seasons past his 'best'. And there is no team 'below' us that will be able to afford him financially nor tactically. If we got an offer for 40M for Dele I would snatch it before the ink was dry.

As @TeamSpirit™said Newcastle could be a good option If their money comes in, or perhaps Everton? I mean look at what they spent on sigurdsson and iwobi.

Dele is an attractive prospect to those sorts of clubs trying to take the next step. He’s young, highly marketable and has good goal contribution stats on paper. Plus homegrown.

I think we could get the 40 million you mentioned, and perhaps even 50 million if it wasn’t for Covid-19.

As @TeamSpirit™said Newcastle could be a good option If their money comes in, or perhaps Everton? I mean look at what they spent on sigurdsson and iwobi.

Dele is an attractive prospect to those sorts of clubs trying to take the next step. He’s young, highly marketable and has good goal contribution stats on paper. Plus homegrown.

I think we could get the 40 million you mentioned, and perhaps even 50 million if it wasn’t for Covid-19.
Then we should do it because his market value is only going to plummet even further. He is no longer an England international and now a benchwarmer for us. It is only going to get worse because there is no tangible there there with him as a player. His only justification as a player is stat based and any reasonably intelligent manager understands that you can't gameplan around that...though we have for years.

Back
Top Bottom