Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is a new low for this thread.... A #8 who's being fudged in as a #6 should have better crossing ability???

Where???

Jose could choose Ndombele, Gedson or Skipp instead but isn't.....
I think he means just like Aurier who puts in 1 good cross now and again, Winks makes that 1 good pass now and again. And hence not good enough.

And he mentioned 3 clubs where he wouldnt get in the first team, so apparently those are the benches he is talking about. Not that Winks would ever make the City or Liverpool bench, so its a wrong opinion anyway.

Mourinho and Poch both pick him regularly and he is now in the England starting line up. Clearly the coaches like what he is doing.

His job isn't to make forward passes. Its to settle the ball and calm the game down. Toby and Dier are our main outlets to play long balls and, Lo Celso should be the midfielder driving the ball forward from midfield to attack. Siossoko is currently our 'muscle' in midfield, his lack of passing lets him down but his work rate and never ending fuel tank compensates.

Having played a lot of football I can tell you that every team I have played in loves having a Winks type player; who can get the ball out of the danger zone and make space to reshape.

Remember, a football game is 90 minutes. During that time you are not always actively seeking to score a goal. Changing the pace of the game so it doesn't suit the opposition, defending a lead, frustrating the other team are all tactics our coach will use.

My 2c....he is a future England captain and in a couple of years we will be fighting to keep the likes of United and City away.

Side/back passer with no forward threat and weak physically?
In relation to Winks that would be half-truth.
He is not the strongest player in the world, but he can run with good intensity for 90 minutes. He is a balanced player, his work-rate is fantastic. And even if we agree that he is 'weak physically', that doesn't mean that he is weak defensively. Maybe he has been both things in the past, but he is improving his defensive performances with Mourinho, though not many realized it yet.

And of course, he's got plenty of forward passes in him as well.

Having played a lot of football I can tell you that every team I have played in loves having a Winks type player; who can get the ball out of the danger zone and make space to reshape.

Most teams have a player like this - that the fans moan about and the manager always picks.

Very true, however we have 4. Winks, Sissoko, Aurier and Lucas:mourpointlaugh:
Okay, but that's different. I'm talking about specifically in that position. They do a job that isn't glamorous, recycling possession. Fans always moan that their player isn't dynamic, just passes sideways etc. But managers see their value and pick them.

Last edited:
Okay, but that's different. I'm talking about specifically in that position. They do a job that isn't glamorous, recycling possession. Fans always moan that their player isn't dynamic, just passes sideways etc. But managers' see their value and pick them.

A good example would be Lucas Leiva at Liverpool. Was first name on the team sheet for a very long time and fans never really appreciated what he offered. If memory serves we right, their win percentage was significantly higher when he played.

Busquets and Carrick are others r that springs to mind.

Boring but practical.

He wouldn't get in either Mancs, LFC or Chelsea 1st teams. One good cross now and again like Aurier ain't good enough.

This is a new low for this thread.... A #8 who's being fudged in as a #6 should have better crossing ability???
Please tell who does he start ahead of in those teams?

Man City - De Bruyne, B Silva, Fernandes, Fenandinho
Man Utd - Pogba, Fernandes, Matic
Chelsea - Pulisic, Kante, Kovavic,
LFC - Fabinho, Henderson, Wijnaldim, Keita

He'll be a squad player at best and nowhere near a starting 11

LMFAO

Last edited:
What on earth have you seen in Gedson to think he deserves to start ahead of Winks ?!???

Never mind Ndombele, geezer can’t see out 90 minutes of football for 200k a week.

In an era of mercenaries, I’ll always enjoy having a Tottenham boy play for Tottenham.
Benny, I'd start you rather than Winks. You could be 9 for all I care.

Ah, the old "I'll see what I wanna see".

21 of his 34 passes against Leicester were forward with the same amount of key passes as Kane, Son and Lo Celso and only Lucas Moura created more goalscoring chances than him.

He was definitely more adventurous against Leicester, hence his 74% pass completion rate, which is probably his worst of the season.

And that was just at the weekend.

He was one of our best players when we beat City 2-0 at the beginning of the year. He was also one of our best players when we last beat Liverpool (4-1), and Real Madrid (3-1) and the draw away at the Bernebeau (1-1) not to forget his performance against Chelsea last season (3-1).

He played a quality pass forward against Leicester. I forget who didn't score from it, which was a shame as it would have pretty much doubled Wink's goal contribution in one go.
But you're falling into a trap here. What constitutes a forward pass? Is there a defined angle that differentiates it from a side pass and is a side pass differentiated from a back pass?
Also. is a 40 yard inch perfect side pass to an unmarked overlapping wide player that goes through and crosses for a goal, less of an attacking pass than 14 "forward" passes that travel 5 feet?

Stats. Stats. Stats.
They can be made to tell whatever story you want them to.
Watching game after game after game with no stats at all is so much better.

Back
Top Bottom