Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sanchez is dreadful with the ball at his feet

The amount of times he loses the ball and puts us in trouble

He is strong and quick but I really dont see why he seems to be so highly rated by so many

Sanchez is dreadful with the ball at his feet

The amount of times he loses the ball and puts us in trouble

He is strong and quick but I really dont see why he seems to be so highly rated by so many

It’s because he is an excellent stopper, he is very good at the defensive side of the game. If he is poor on the ball the way you overcome that is the other CB brings the ball out but Dier isn’t good on the ball either.

It’s no coincidence that all of our CB’s look better when Verts played with them including Toby prior to Verts physical decline. Toby is good don’t get me wrong but peak Verts was a Rolls Royce who meant our defenders didn’t have to be that good on the ball as Verts would bring it out and help us from getting pressed.

Sanchez, Dier and Tanganga are fine but we need to get a ball playing CB IMO. Sanchez if partnered with a ball playing CB is fine.

If Troy gets double digits in goals for Millwall I think we can all call his loan a massive success. The important thing is game time. It will be his first season of men's football so minutes have to take priority over numbers IMO.

The right move for him.

It’s because he is an excellent stopper, he is very good at the defensive side of the game. If he is poor on the ball the way you overcome that is the other CB brings the ball out but Dier isn’t good on the ball either.

It’s no coincidence that all of our CB’s look better when Verts played with them including Toby prior to Verts physical decline. Toby is good don’t get me wrong but peak Verts was a Rolls Royce who meant our defenders didn’t have to be that good on the ball as Verts would bring it out and help us from getting pressed.

Sanchez, Dier and Tanganga are fine but we need to get a ball playing CB IMO. Sanchez if partnered with a ball playing CB is fine.

Agreed.

Can't downplay the importance of having a midfielder in front of that back four who is comfortable in receiving the ball, potentially under pressure, turning and moving forward.

This has been missed since Wanyama and Dembele which means our centre backs usually have to pass it out from the back with more risky passes or try and break lines themselves. Which isn't really any of our defenders' game bar perhaps Toby.

The boy said all the right things to enamour himself to Millwall fans which is half the battle down there. Hopefully he bangs in 10-12 goals, gains plenty of experience and minutes for when he comes home to us.

I reckon he might try too hard to start with and get a red in his first or second game.

Agreed.

Can't downplay the importance of having a midfielder in front of that back four who is comfortable in receiving the ball, potentially under pressure, turning and moving forward.

This has been missed since Wanyama and Dembele which means our centre backs usually have to pass it out from the back with more risky passes or try and break lines themselves. Which isn't really any of our defenders' game bar perhaps Toby.

Yep balance is key. We need in my view

1 right back to challenge and give competition to Aurier

2 CB who is good on the ball but can obviously defend as well

3 DM. Ideally 2, I would sell Sissoko and get PEH who is a 6/8 hybrid and maybe another who is a pure DM

4 striker as cover and competition for Kane

5 love to get Eze as well.

If we have to sell Sissoko and Lamela and one or two other than so be it. I don’t think our squad is bad, it just doesn’t have good balance and you can’t do well without that.

Wouldn’t it be great to get all our business done in the first half of the window for once, and get started preparing for a massive season.

I truly wonder what the conversations are like with us and other teams. Exhausting being a fan of this club at times.

Hojbjerg like Wilson and Brooks are bargain basement.We are going back to type buying 3-4 cheap players instead of 1 - 2 good players. If we get these players we will finish mid table. The reason why I think this is we will be getting rid of players who have been playing and competing at the top and replacing players who are competing at the bottom. All the teams we are competing with will be buying top tier players and we will not. Hence why I am dreading next season under a boring self obsessed manager and being linked with bang average players

Christ

Imagine the beautiful football we'll be playing with a back 5 of Lloris-Aurier-Dier-Sanchez-Davies with Höjbjerg, Winks & Sissoko ahead of them :mourwhat::mourbye: Oh and the kick-and-run boys Son, Lucas & Lamela up front
You joke but I can definitely see this happening.

I don’t actually think Sanchez is *too* bad on the ball. I just think he’s one of those players that gives off a sort of nervous energy, especially in how he presses defensively.

I like him though and think he will come good.

Hojbjerg like Wilson and Brooks are bargain basement.We are going back to type buying 3-4 cheap players instead of 1 - 2 good players. If we get these players we will finish mid table. The reason why I think this is we will be getting rid of players who have been playing and competing at the top and replacing players who are competing at the bottom. All the teams we are competing with will be buying top tier players and we will not. Hence why I am dreading next season under a boring self obsessed manager and being linked with bang average players

Agree with your assessment of Wilson and Brooks, Don't agree on Hojberg. Statistically he is amongst the best in the league at what he does.

Back
Top Bottom