Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Prepare to see a good amount of Tanganga at RB next season I suppose...
In my mind, I imagine that Levy sees Jose as more of his equal than he did Poch - the fact that he pursued him and wanted him for a long time suggests he might respect his opinion enough to work with him to get the targets he wants. With Poch, the big spends of last summer was a bit like ‘here you go...pressure’s on’ - with Jose, it’s almost the other way around: ‘here’s who we need: now the pressure’s on you to make that happen’.

At least, in my mind.

Ugh

I am so tired of people ignoring poor play because he is a "proper Spur."

This isn't kiddie football where everyone gets a medal and an orange slice, its fucking professional football. Its great that he is a "proper Spur" but when he is complete garbage on the field and costs us points in the table then I am sorry but him being a "proper Spur" means shit.

Hang his jersey in the rafters, give him a testinonial, give him a off field position for life if he is a 'proper Spur" but don't keep playing him when it is clear he is not close to good enough.
I'm not implying that he should play just because he's a nice bloke. Getting a better defender would be a positive thing. I am pointing out that you have a horrible attitude. And it has nothing to do with the fact that you state we could/should do better than Dier.

You should have a minimum of respect towards anyone. Especially everyone at the club we all support. Calling someone "stupid" "useless" "complete garbage" isn't being critical, it's being an asshole and it shows a lack of nuance. Dier makes mistakes and Dier saves us points, he has weaknesses and strengths.

Why do you keep bringing up Carrick? PEH is not as good as Carrick.

I would say a true DM is someone who is able to win the ball in tackles, get around the pitch to cover up for the other MFers allowing them to take chances up the field, read the play so that they spot the danger areas defensively before they happen, have the confidence and ability to make the tough tackles without fouling.

The reason you think that if he played at Dortmund and cost 50 million I would change my mind is because that is the argument you want to have so you are projecting it on to me. It is an easier argument for you so despite the fact I have said nothing to indicate that is true you make it up.

I, and others, have legit concerns about PEH. You blowing them off as him not being from Dortmund is silly. My concerns are he has shown to be a little loose with his passing, he seems to be more of a 8 forced into a DM role than a pure DM and with the way I would like us to play- with Lo Celso and another creative/attack minded/passing MF- I would prefer a player that is better in that classical

Ultimately I don't think he is a terrible signing and is a clear improvement over Winks and Sissoko, but I think he is a 5/6 out of 10 and that we should be looking to get a 8 out of 10. He is a guy that improves the squad because of how weak we are not because of everything he brings. If this was the old Spurs team with solid players all over the field I think I would also be happier with the signing but the fact is we are a pretty mediocre squad overall so adding mediocre player that will do a job but not shine is not really that exciting.

And although you may hate it I don't think it is too much to ask that as Spurs fans we have a little excitement in out transfer especially when excitement is so lacking in the squad overall, but maybe I am expecting too much.
To get an 8/10 player would require some investment which we are not prepared to do, we might end with PEH mainly because he is affordable but also because no one else really wants him.

Why do you keep bringing up Carrick? PEH is not as good as Carrick.

I would say a true DM is someone who is able to win the ball in tackles, get around the pitch to cover up for the other MFers allowing them to take chances up the field, read the play so that they spot the danger areas defensively before they happen, have the confidence and ability to make the tough tackles without fouling.

The reason you think that if he played at Dortmund and cost 50 million I would change my mind is because that is the argument you want to have so you are projecting it on to me. It is an easier argument for you so despite the fact I have said nothing to indicate that is true you make it up.

I, and others, have legit concerns about PEH. You blowing them off as him not being from Dortmund is silly. My concerns are he has shown to be a little loose with his passing, he seems to be more of a 8 forced into a DM role than a pure DM and with the way I would like us to play- with Lo Celso and another creative/attack minded/passing MF- I would prefer a player that is better in that classical

Ultimately I don't think he is a terrible signing and is a clear improvement over Winks and Sissoko, but I think he is a 5/6 out of 10 and that we should be looking to get a 8 out of 10. He is a guy that improves the squad because of how weak we are not because of everything he brings. If this was the old Spurs team with solid players all over the field I think I would also be happier with the signing but the fact is we are a pretty mediocre squad overall so adding mediocre player that will do a job but not shine is not really that exciting.

And although you may hate it I don't think it is too much to ask that as Spurs fans we have a little excitement in out transfer especially when excitement is so lacking in the squad overall, but maybe I am expecting too much.

No one is saying that he is as good as Carrick - he plays a similar role/ game which is just as much a defensive midfielder as Kante style DM.

And the reason why I mentioned that Dortmund argument is because your player suggestions tells me everything. Luis has 17 games in total to his name but a host of YouTube videos and would command a large fee, plays for a big European tier 2 club and is highly rated. It is the same to an extent for Jude Bellingham and Eduardo Camavinga. Its a wonder kid fetish driven by the idea of what they could be not what they are now. If our top 4 hopes are dependant on a 20 with 17 games to his name then we have issues.

You are looking for your transfer fix, you want excitement, I get that. But I grew out of that after 15. I just care about retaining our best players and addressing our weaknesses.

I'm not implying that he should play just because he's a nice bloke. Getting a better defender would be a positive thing. I am pointing out that you have a horrible attitude. And it has nothing to do with the fact that you state we could/should do better than Dier.

You should have a minimum of respect towards anyone. Especially everyone at the club we all support. Calling someone "stupid" "useless" "complete garbage" isn't being critical, it's being an asshole and it shows a lack of nuance. Dier makes mistakes and Dier saves us points, he has weaknesses and strengths.

Get over it.

Dier was garbage. He is an absolutely terrible player for a team that has our supposed goals.

He gives away goals because of his terrible ability to read plays, poor tackling and lack of speed and quickness. There is no reason to sugar coat things or have some BS notion of a "minimum of respect." These guys are big boys making big bucks, they are fair game to have their play called out when it fits the descriptions used.

No one is saying that he is as good as Carrick - he plays a similar role/ game which is just as much a defensive midfielder as Kante style DM.

And the reason why I mentioned that Dortmund argument is because your player suggestions tells me everything. Luis has 17 games in total to his name but a host of YouTube videos and would command a large fee, plays for a big European tier 2 club and is highly rated. It is the same to an extent for Jude Bellingham and Eduardo Camavinga. Its a wonder kid fetish driven by the idea of what they could be not what they are now. If our top 4 hopes are dependant on a 20 with 17 games to his name then we have issues.

You are looking for your transfer fix, you want excitement, I get that. But I grew out of that after 15. I just care about retaining our best players and addressing our weaknesses.

LOL "grew out of that when you were 15"

Did you also grow out of hoping your team improves but that is what I actually want, I know crazy for a fan to hope his team does as well as they can. I am not looking for a transfer fix, I am looking to fix a team that struggled to get to 6th in a down year in the EPL and looked terrible getting there.

I understand the point you are making with Carrick and the playing style I find though that too often people use the much better player as an example because it is harder to argue against adding a Carrick than PEH. My issue is I don't think we need a Carrick style player and certainly not one that is not close to the level that Carrick offers.

But you said if PEH was a Dortmund player that I would love him, the guys I suggested have nothing to do with PEH being at Dortmund.

Our top 4 hopes for next year aren't based on them but our top 4 hopes long term could be if we properly develop them and they turn into the next Eriksen, Dembele, Walker etc. The issue with PEH is he isn't top 4 level now and at his age is highly unlikely to turning into going forward. It also is a way to potentially raise funds if we sell them because as you mention we lack them compared to others. I am not saying it is the solution it is a potential solution. One that is designed to improve us long term. Something we currently do not look to be doing under our current "plan" and transfer additions.

LOL "grew out of that when you were 15"

Did you also grow out of hoping your team improves but that is what I actually want, I know crazy for a fan to hope his team does as well as they can. I am not looking for a transfer fix, I am looking to fix a team that struggled to get to 6th in a down year in the EPL and looked terrible getting there.

I understand the point you are making with Carrick and the playing style I find though that too often people use the much better player as an example because it is harder to argue against adding a Carrick than PEH. My issue is I don't think we need a Carrick style player and certainly not one that is not close to the level that Carrick offers.

But you said if PEH was a Dortmund player that I would love him, the guys I suggested have nothing to do with PEH being at Dortmund.

Our top 4 hopes for next year aren't based on them but our top 4 hopes long term could be if we properly develop them and they turn into the next Eriksen, Dembele, Walker etc. The issue with PEH is he isn't top 4 level now and at his age is highly unlikely to turning into going forward. It also is a way to potentially raise funds if we sell them because as you mention we lack them compared to others. I am not saying it is the solution it is a potential solution. One that is designed to improve us long term. Something we currently do not look to be doing under our current "plan" and transfer additions.

United have Matic, City have Rhodri - I would take him over either of them.

Again we don’t have a DM, and even just a good DM could make a massive difference to this team. If we can get that and do that cost effectively whilst still having funds to address CB and RB then that is fine with me.

Coutinho was their best player at the time - it’s why he joined arguably the biggest club in the world for one of the biggest fees in the game ever.
No, he wasn't Liverpool's best player, and they didn't even remotely miss him. Big transfer fees are not a guarantee of anything, as you have been at pains to point out to us this evening. He was a terrible purchase by a club who are consistently making strange decisions in relation to player recruitment.

No, he wasn't Liverpool's best player, and they didn't even remotely miss him. Big transfer fees are not a guarantee of anything, as you have been telling us this evening. He was a terrible purchase by a club who are consistently making strange decisions in relation to player recruitment.

They are a sign of player contribution to their team not that they would be a success at their new club. Kane would cost £200+ because for us he is a £200+ player. It doesn’t mean he would be that at Madrid.

Coutinho joined Barcelona, he cost them £140 million but wasn’t Liverpool’s best player. Right oh.

Get over it.

Dier was garbage. He is an absolutely terrible player for a team that has our supposed goals.

He gives away goals because of his terrible ability to read plays, poor tackling and lack of speed and quickness. There is no reason to sugar coat things or have some BS notion of a "minimum of respect." These guys are big boys making big bucks, they are fair game to have their play called out when it fits the descriptions used.

I won't try to convince you of anything else. But is it a fair guess of me to say that you haven't enjoyed being a Spurs fan in a long time?

My reasoning would be that you wouldn't support anyone who isn't up to par. There is no reason to sugar coat things or have some BS notion of a "minimum of respect." These guys are big boys making big bucks. This would likely mean you also get annoyed with seeing (the majority of) Lloris, Sanchez, Dier, Aurier, Davies, Rose, Sissoko, Ndombele, Winks, Lamela, Lucas, Dele. They all cost us points

I don't mean this as an attack or an insult, but I can't understand why you would want to invest so much of your time in a team full of stupid useless complete garbage absolutely terrible players? This isn't kiddie football where everyone gets a medal and an orange slice, its fucking professional football.

They are a sign of player contribution to their team not that they would be a success at their new club. Kane would cost £200+ because for us he is a £200+ player. It doesn’t mean he would be that at Madrid.

Coutinho joined Barcelona, he cost them £140 million but wasn’t Liverpool’s best player. Right oh.

El Pais journalist Diego Torres has reported that Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp was 'amazed' and 'broke into hilarity' when he first heard that Barcelona were going to offer €100 million for former midfielder Philippe Coutinho.

Torres suggests that Coutinho was never fit enough to operate under Klopp's pressing system of football and that leading goalscorer Mohamed Salah was brought in to compete with the Brazilian while Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino were deemed 'undroppable'.

Torres wrote:

"When the club raised the possibility of signing Mohammed Salah, the coach told the management that he thought it was fine but that the position should be played with Coutinho. Never with Mané or Firmino, whom he judged unquestionable.

"In Liverpool offices were not surprised to see that the leaders embraced as if they had won a title when on 6 January closed the transfer of Coutinho to Barca for 160 million euros, a record after Neymar and Mbappé. Never the sale of the third most expensive soccer player in history meant less sacrifice and more benefit for a major club.

"Explosive and decisive in short spaces, Coutinho lacked the heart and lungs to perform consistently in the great spaces of the midfield. In the physical tests that simulated situations of the game, after two sprints of 60 meters Coutinho could not recover without remaining half a minute completely stopped. Too much, given the tactical demands. With the emphasis on permanent dynamism, Klopp discarded Coutinho to integrate the midfield in 4-3-3. Even when he placed it as an end, he found that it disengaged in the folds. During several days he tried a 4-2-3-1 to place him behind the point, with a smaller radius of action to avoid suffering. If he played as a second point he could stay off the hook without generating serious imbalances, while the rest of the team was ordered 20 meters back. But the 4-2-3-1, in Klopp's opinion, did not allow the team to occupy the spaces in the most efficient way possible.

"When they told him that [Josep] Bartomeu would sign [Ousmane] Dembelé to replace Neymar and offer more than 100 million for Coutinho to act as relay for [Andres] Iniesta, his amazement broke into hilarity. According to an employee of the English club, Klopp was blunt: "Coutinho is a fabulous forward but he will never feel comfortable in 4-3-3 as an inside; and much less if he has to play in the post of Iniesta in the 4-4-2 that [Ernesto] Valverde practices in the defensive phase, where the longer runs should be done by the wings. Iniesta is a long distance runner. Coutinho no. "

El Pais journalist Diego Torres has reported that Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp was 'amazed' and 'broke into hilarity' when he first heard that Barcelona were going to offer €100 million for former midfielder Philippe Coutinho.

Torres suggests that Coutinho was never fit enough to operate under Klopp's pressing system of football and that leading goalscorer Mohamed Salah was brought in to compete with the Brazilian while Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino were deemed 'undroppable'.

Torres wrote:

"When the club raised the possibility of signing Mohammed Salah, the coach told the management that he thought it was fine but that the position should be played with Coutinho. Never with Mané or Firmino, whom he judged unquestionable.

"In Liverpool offices were not surprised to see that the leaders embraced as if they had won a title when on 6 January closed the transfer of Coutinho to Barca for 160 million euros, a record after Neymar and Mbappé. Never the sale of the third most expensive soccer player in history meant less sacrifice and more benefit for a major club.

"Explosive and decisive in short spaces, Coutinho lacked the heart and lungs to perform consistently in the great spaces of the midfield. In the physical tests that simulated situations of the game, after two sprints of 60 meters Coutinho could not recover without remaining half a minute completely stopped. Too much, given the tactical demands. With the emphasis on permanent dynamism, Klopp discarded Coutinho to integrate the midfield in 4-3-3. Even when he placed it as an end, he found that it disengaged in the folds. During several days he tried a 4-2-3-1 to place him behind the point, with a smaller radius of action to avoid suffering. If he played as a second point he could stay off the hook without generating serious imbalances, while the rest of the team was ordered 20 meters back. But the 4-2-3-1, in Klopp's opinion, did not allow the team to occupy the spaces in the most efficient way possible.

"When they told him that [Josep] Bartomeu would sign [Ousmane] Dembelé to replace Neymar and offer more than 100 million for Coutinho to act as relay for [Andres] Iniesta, his amazement broke into hilarity. According to an employee of the English club, Klopp was blunt: "Coutinho is a fabulous forward but he will never feel comfortable in 4-3-3 as an inside; and much less if he has to play in the post of Iniesta in the 4-4-2 that [Ernesto] Valverde practices in the defensive phase, where the longer runs should be done by the wings. Iniesta is a long distance runner. Coutinho no. "

Countinho has been there best player for a good few years - the only one who came close at the time was Firmino. Salah and Mane had been at the club less than half of the season when he left. Name me who was better than him at that time? What you are doing is focusing on their squad now and not then. And that article is just an opinion and rumour of a Spanish journalist - what relevance is this to the argument.

PEH is not necessarily a bad signing, he is a decent enough squad player for 20 or so million from another PL team.

However, if we are relying on him as our new starter alongside GLC, Sissoko, Winks and Ndombele... we are seriously in trouble. Especially with how awful our defenders are on the ball.

He seemed to suggest he left because of Poch’s Svengali response to his question about his future: fair play.

People don’t leave an organisation, they leave a manager.
That seems like a really simplistic way to look at transfers. Players leave organizations all the time and not because of a coach.

United have Matic, City have Rhodri - I would take him over either of them.

Again we don’t have a DM, and even just a good DM could make a massive difference to this team. If we can get that and do that cost effectively whilst still having funds to address CB and RB then that is fine with me.

Seriously????

I would take Rodri in a heartbeat. He would be amazing for us.

Back
Top Bottom