Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Even now there are quite some fans who don't want Hojbjerg (or at least think that we could do better) while everybody would love to see a front three of Son - Kane - Sancho.
I'm sure there is better than hojberg out there if we want them, but it's more about players fitting into a very tight financial set up that dictates what or who we buy.

Great, I'm glad to hear it but we are discussing Tottenham Hotspur Football Club in here and not your personal life. In that respect it would appear all is not so happy for you whereas for me next season beckons like a morning sunrise. A new dawn and a new era with not a cloud in sight.
You're a pompous git! And your prose is awful. And you brought up the weather. not me.....and I've seen way too much mindless optimism at work to be anything other than guardedly optimistic. And I don't see anything happening at the moment to be guardedly optimistic about. It's really a case of hope for the best. except the worst. Staves off too much bitter disappointment.

We've played Inter twice in the CL recently and Inter have been regulars in that tournament the last couple of years. Surely the concept of Brozovic and Skriniar being good is not farfetched?

I not saying they
We've played Inter twice in the CL recently and Inter have been regulars in that tournament the last couple of years. Surely the concept of Brozovic and Skriniar being good is not farfetched?

I am not saying they are not good I am just saying they are a gamble

I am not saying they are not good I am just saying they are a gamble
By that logic we should not make any transfers.

All transfers are a gamble, even within the league. Ferran Torres was great for Liverpool but when he moved to Chelsea he could not make it work at all. Alexis at the Gooners was their big game player. Their x factor but he became a wet blanket at Man United.

The act of the player transfer is intimately tied with risk and it being a gamble. That's why you have scouts to keep track of potential transfers so that the club are able to predict if they will fit in with the club or not.

By that logic we should not make any transfers.

All transfers are a gamble, even within the league. Ferran Torres was great for Liverpool but when he moved to Chelsea he could not make it work at all. Alexis at the Gooners was their big game player. Their x factor but he became a wet blanket at Man United.

The act of the player transfer is intimately tied with risk and it being a gamble. That's why you have scouts to keep track of potential transfers so that the club are able to predict if they will fit in with the club or not.

I am not saying don't sign them I would take them in a heartbeat. My problem is being linked with Wilson , Hojbjerg,Brooks and Deeney. I have not said don't sign Brozovic Celik or Skrinar . I said do not sign the others. Brozovic and Skrinar are top players I don't know to much about Celik so can't pass judgement .

If you are employed by Jef Bezos's Amazon - you are paid shit. Just ask any delivery driver

Amazon pays peanuts taxes in UK - because all profits are siphoned offshore via Luxembourg companies etc.

What makes you think he's a fit owner of a UK sports team when Amazon and he has screwed everyone in UK before ?
Because he's got more money than anyone else....

I wouldnt have allowed either to pass a 'fit and proper' owner test.

But suggesting that Amazon's owner (which doesnt pay much tax - less than the upkeep of the costs of the roads his delivery drivers use funded by the tax which other people pay to subsidise Aamazon's non payment) is somehow some paragon of virtue who Spurs fans should want to own the club is just ignorant as to why Amazon has a shed load of cash. And if he cant be bothered to pay his drivers much, it tells you how he would run Spurs too
Apologies for getting off topic.

I don't tout Amazon as a virtue of anything, other than how to run an extremely successful business. I don't really care if they buy the team or not. But I think your contempt is misdirected.

They still pay taxes, just very little to no federal taxes. They have deferred nearly $400 million in federal taxes. In 2019 they paid $276 million in state taxes, $2.4 billion in payroll taxes and custom duties (arguably subsidized by lower employee compensation, however, the feds would also tax the employee for that additional income), and $1.1 billion international taxes. Data here Should they pay more? Yes, I think they should pay more in federal taxes, but does the law require it? Evidently not.

If the company doesn't pay federal taxes, and nobody is being prosecuted, then your complaint is with the tax codes. Not the people abiding by them. We can debate the morality of paying as little taxes as possible, but when given the option to voluntarily pay more, almost nobody does. Complain about congress, not the companies following the laws.

I also don't think it's fair to assume he would be a bad owner. He pays his employees a $15/hour minimum wage, over double the federal minimum wage of $7.25/hour. Their average driver makes $52k/year according to Indeed.com, right in line with the national average salary.

Back
Top Bottom