Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is where we will respectfully disagree. You talk of throwing away millions of dollars 'just to play a game' but it isn't just playing a game. It's the opportunity to show your God given skills in an arena where only the greatest meet and compete and in my eyes that's worth far more.
Achieving the pinnacle of team and personal glory is one thing but what makes a truly great player is having the hunger and desire to achieve those glories again, and again and again. If I was Gareth Bale now and I had a 'closet full of trophies/winners medals' I wouldn't be sitting in an armchair smugly looking at them whilst on the TV my team mates were playing Champion's League football. I'd be ordering a second closet and doing everything fucking possible to fill that one as well.

I think I might agree if he hadn't already had an amazing career. If he hadn't won so much or hadn't reached the peak of his talents already.

But he has achieved the peak that he can. He will not ever be as good as he was when he was younger, there is nothing out there to win that he hasn't won (Wales ain't winning the Euros or WC).

He also hasn't had any realistic options that make sense for him to give up a ton of money to go to instead. I also think the fact that the only thing stopping him playing with his mates right now is the cunt of a manager. It isn't like he isn't good enough to be out there with or couldn't help the team. I see no reason he should help the d-bag keeping him off the pitch just to play out the last of his contract in an undesirable location for half his pay for a team he doesn't want to play for. That doesn't seem too appealing.

I also think it is tough for us who have never had the chance he had or come close to winning what he won to compare what we would do. Of course you or I would kill to have the chance to play at the level he has, but after doing it all I am not sure we would choose to make the huge sacrifice to continue going on when the alternative is so much more appealing.

If the manager wants them, yeah.

Why?

You going to criticise a managers choice of recruit before they kick a ball?

Oh look let's be clear here. I'm all the way behind whoever the club wants, and as to identifying targets, I am 100% a moron on the internet and no one should listen to me.

But in terms of basic heuristics of how to assess players as a clueless fan, age and the level at which they've performed are things we ought to look at, and age in particular is underrated IMO.

Oh look let's be clear here. I'm all the way behind whoever the club wants, and as to identifying targets, I am 100% a moron on the internet and no one should listen to me.

But in terms of basic heuristics of how to assess players as a clueless fan, age and the level at which they've performed are things we ought to look at, and age in particular is underrated IMO.
I have one new criteria since last year

Not be an elephant sized, duck gaited, lazy prick

Well you were replying to the coversation regarding Daniels comments that a) the stadium build would not affect our transfer budget and b) That he could have invested more in the squad had he wanted to.

You seemed to be implying it wasn't true. Maybe you'd like to take this opportunity to clear it up.

:dierpochhug:

I implied nothing John.... I responded to the query about stadium finance.

Pretty black and white posts on my part.... Strange that you'd need clarification.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

I don't see age and level (especially with the level being the Championship) any more important than end product and consistency at such level.

I've found that most clueless fans base their opinion on a footballer on the one viewing they've seen them and made up their mind there and then. Benrahma in the Play Off final for example. Despite him destroying the two automatically promoted teams this season in the league etc. etc.

But then again - you also get some clueless fans who will view a compilation of a player, not take into consideration opponents and level and deem them worthy enough to sign. Nkoudou was one, in which someone on here compared him to Eden Hazard. Classic.

Obligatory Benrahama highlight reel, because why the fuck not? Football is entertainment, right?

This is where we will respectfully disagree. You talk of throwing away millions of dollars 'just to play a game' but it isn't just playing a game. It's the opportunity to show your God given skills in an arena where only the greatest meet and compete and in my eyes that's worth far more.
Achieving the pinnacle of team and personal glory is one thing but what makes a truly great player is having the hunger and desire to achieve those glories again, and again and again. If I was Gareth Bale now and I had a 'closet full of trophies/winners medals' I wouldn't be sitting in an armchair smugly looking at them whilst on the TV my team mates were playing Champion's League football. I'd be ordering a second closet and doing everything fucking possible to fill that one as well.

Should have said just because you have a different view than I do does not mean that I think you are wrong for having that view at all.

I understand it, just don't necessarily feel the same way.

Lloris
Winger-Toby-CB-Winger
Hojbjerg-Lo Celso
Winger-Winger-Winger
Kane

giphy.gif

The majority of Southampton's supporters are happy with the deal.

They are saying it's 18m for Hojbjerg (15m now, plus 3m in bonus). I don't think they know about Fulham being after KWP.

In resume, I'd say good piece of business for everybody involved. And I think Hojbjerg should be praised. He showed desire to come to Tottenham and made everything really easy from our perspective.

Interesting post from their board.

Spurs fans are so funny talking about Hojbjerg, they clearly haven't seen him. Many saying he'll allow 2 central midfielders to attack while he sits back.

Sits back? All his best football for us has come as a 2 with both high energy players. I remember him being rubbish when asked to be a sole holding midfielder.

Others saying he's technically better than what they have and scores more goals. Again, what?!

Good luck to him I guess but he's not even half the player Wanyama was for us and they didn't seem to rate him.

Maybe he'll do well. But Jose has alienated a top player in Ndombele and now they'll have Hojbjerg instead

Spurs fans are so funny talking about Hojbjerg, they clearly haven't seen him. Many saying he'll allow 2 central midfielders to attack while he sits back.

Sits back? All his best football for us has come as a 2 with both high energy players. I remember him being rubbish when asked to be a sole holding midfielder.

Others saying he's technically better than what they have and scores more goals. Again, what?!

Good luck to him I guess but he's not even half the player Wanyama was for us and they didn't seem to rate him.

Maybe he'll do well. But Jose has alienated a top player in Ndombele and now they'll have Hojbjerg instead
It seems like many have got it into their heads that he is a Wanyama/kante styled DM that is gonna sit and allow the likes of Ndombele and lo celso to do their thing

They are going to be bitterly disappointed

Real merely want him off their wage bill. He's plenty good enough to do a job for them but Zidane is a prick and almost never plays him.

I for one hope Bale sees out his contract with them just to punish them for being stupid with their money. It's a contract whether Madrid like it or not. Encouraging their fan base to hate him in an effort to drive him away is absolutely pathetic.

I agree with the post, except for the last paragraph - Jose "alienating" Ndombele; Hojbjerg "instead" of the Frenchman. Clearly, they don't have any idea about what's going at Tottenham.

Apart from that, they are right.

The idea that Hojbjerg will sit back and allow Lo Celso and Ndombele to play with freedom is very romantic, but I don't think we are moving in the direction of a traditional 4-3-3.

I think Hojbjerg is coming to replace Sissoko as the physical presence in our midfield. In terms of positioning, he will be played alongside another midfielder in the double pivot (in a similar situation to the one he faced at Southampton). I expect to see Hojbjerg-Lo Celso a lot, but also Hojbjerg-Winks - with Lo Celso in front of them, as a 10 -, in big matches.

And no, we are not signing Hojbjerg because he will score more goals than our current midfielders - and to be honest, I can't remember anyone saying that.

Last edited:
So basically any signing is ok with you?

You are right some people just are happy to sign anybody. This lad has found his standard he has found a league in which he is okay . Let's be honest though he is not good enough to get in our team or squad. He is a championship player and someone we should not go for. This is how low we have sunk in a season . Last season we are linked with the top players in Europe now we get linked with players who got relegated or play in a lower league . If we sign him he is money down the drain

Definitely sounds like sour grapes. Nobody here thinks he'll be Wanyama. Also we didn't rate Wanyama? Clearly we did (for at least 1.5 seasons).

We aren't going to sign peak Kante/Wanyama/Ndidi. The next best available option is a proven Premier League midfielder who certainly has the knack for breaking up opposition play...which is exactly what we need. Essentially he will do Sissoko's job, but hopefully better and more consistently.

I might be wrong obv but im not that impressed with Benrahma, think he's more of a system player and he wouldn't be all that in the Prem, if we are in for him which I doubt as Darren Lewis has been wank for us the past 3 years, I'd love to be proven wrong

He goes missing to often, if you think the stick Dele gets wait until you watch this guy in the Prem

Last edited:
I'm excited for PEH personally.
He probably won't be "great", but even being merely "above average" in his position would be a much better player for us than we have currently. Sissoko isn't a DM and neither is Winks. Yea you might have hoped for someone a bit more highly regarded, but we're talking post-covid levy here- let's be realistic.

I'm excited for PEH personally.
He probably won't be "great", but even being merely "above average" in his position would be a much better player for us than we have currently. Sissoko isn't a DM and neither is Winks. Yea you might have hoped for someone a bit more highly regarded, but we're talking post-covid levy here- let's be realistic.
Levy here let's be realistic is the crux of it.

Back
Top Bottom