Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I could also list twice as many for Toby last season and the season before. They are defenders and mistakes stand a chance of getting punished.

Now take a look our Doherty's defensive numbers compared to Aurier's, as I say he no upgrade that's absolutely 100%.
Serge_Aurier_vs_Matt_Doherty.png

Sorry but Bertrand dived to get him sent off, literally nothing any player could do about that.
What’s Toby got to do with it?
You asked specifically about Aurier and now trying to pass the buck.

Poor showing that

As I said, Doherty wanted to come to Spurs - something you didn´t mention in your answer. That´s why, just like in Hojbjerg´s case, we were able to get a very good deal - not because Wolves wanted to get rid of him, as you said.

Now, replacing Aurier with Doherty means improvement in the first team - but of course, it´s not a solution to our depth issues. We ended the season with Tanganga, Cirkin and Gedson as FB´s options. In my opinion, we need more - we could keep Aurier as a backup RB, or we could sell him and use the money to get a proper squad option.
I didn't say Wolves wanted to get rid of him!! I asked you if they perhaps did (like Chelsea selling Luiz, Cech, Matic), it was a question or a suggestion put to you. I asked it because you said that last year was his worst season he had at Wolves (and I agree it was still a good one) but maybe, just maybe they have offloaded a player that has peeked and they might have found a younger player to play there instead who will be with them for as long as Doherty?? It's a possibility is it not? (Like us probably selling Eriksen a year earlier than we did could have gotten us £100m rather than £25m).

So are you agreeing that if we sell Aurier and do not replace that we haven't improved (we will not agree that Doherty is better than Aurier that much is clear).

I didn't say Wolves wanted to get rid of him!! I asked you if they perhaps did (like Chelsea selling Luiz, Cech, Matic), it was a question or a suggestion put to you. I asked it because you said that last year was his worst season he had at Wolves (and I agree it was still a good one) but maybe, just maybe they have offloaded a player that has peeked and they might have found a younger player to play there instead who will be with them for as long as Doherty?? It's a possibility is it not? (Like us probably selling Eriksen a year earlier than we did could have gotten us £100m rather than £25m).

So are you agreeing that if we sell Aurier and do not replace that we haven't improved (we will not agree that Doherty is better than Aurier that much is clear).
So keep aurier another year and hope he comes good. At least this window we got an actual team interested in him. It's like getting a winning lottery ticket. You cash that shit in son. Otherwise if he's poor next season he won't sell for much we would be lucky if Stevenage come.in for him

sorry mate, but what planet is Aurier better defensively? Have you been in hibernation the last 4 years watching him? The guy is the most erratic footballer on the planet. Every time the opposition get into the box, spurs fans have heart attacks in anticipation that Aurier is going to commit a foul in the penalty box. Not to mention the incredibly frustrating amount of times Aurier gets in great positions, yet fails to deliver crosses to our own players 90% of the time. Just look at Auriers stats of 13% of accuracy rate from 160 crosses last season, utterly abysmal. Doherty isn’t Cafu, I think we all know this, but he is 100% a better player and a big upgrade on Aurier.
Context: Those stats you have just quoted happen to be way, way above any other defender from open play in the entire fucking league mate!!

I've just posted his numbers for comparison, you are 100% not going to enjoy Doherty's defending if you think this of Aurier. Fill your boots.

So keep aurier another year and hope he comes good. At least this window we got an actual team interested in him. It's like getting a winning lottery ticket. You cash that shit in son. Otherwise if he's poor next season he won't sell for much we would be lucky if Stevenage come.in for him
Aurier is good that's the point, other than a few nuances to their game (and how their managers had thier teams set up) they are similar (Doherty better in attack, Aurier better defensively), both are "good" players, neither are top draw and going into a season with just Doherty is no different than going into a season than just Aurier. There is no improvement in that position. I LIKE BOTH OF THEM.

Context: Those stats you have just quoted happen to be way, way above any other defender from open play in the entire fucking league mate!!

I've just posted his numbers for comparison, you are 100% not going to enjoy Doherty's defending if you think this of Aurier. Fill your boots.
[/QUOTE

If Doherty doesn’t give me a heart attack every time the opposition get into the box, like Aurier does, then he’s already winning me over. Doherty is nowhere near as erratic as Aurier and Wolves fans are genuinely pissed off they have sold him. 99.9% spurs fans are happy for Aurier to leave. Go figure mate.

Aurier is good that's the point, other than a few nuances to their game (and how their managers had thier teams set up) they are similar (Doherty better in attack, Aurier better defensively), both are "good" players, neither are top draw and going into a season with just Doherty is no different than going into a season than just Aurier. There is no improvement in that position. I LIKE BOTH OF THEM.

Aurier isn’t good defensively though mate. He’s an utter clown. Erratic, clumsy and brainless.

If Doherty doesn’t give me a heart attack every time the opposition get into the box, like Aurier does, then he’s already winning me over. Doherty is nowhere near as erratic as Aurier and Wolves fans are genuinely pissed off they have sold him. 99.9% spurs fans are happy for Aurier to leave. Go figure mate.
It's Wolves mate, 6yrs ago they were playing in League one, they've been in the PL for just 2 of the past seasons. Spurs fans were upset to see Lenon leave after nearly 10yrs, but we improved after he left.

I'm saying if Aurier gives you a heart attack then 100% Doherty will on account his not as good at defending as Aurier. Enjoy. (Let's hope that our midfield is better than it has been the past couple of years because if it is still as dysfunctional every flaw in his game will be magnified).

It's Wolves mate, 6yrs ago they were playing in League one, they've been in the PL for just 2 of the past seasons. Spurs fans were upset to see Lenon leave after nearly 10yrs, but we improved after he left.

I'm saying if Aurier gives you a heart attack then 100% Doherty will on account his not as good at defending as Aurier. Enjoy. (Let's hope that our midfield is better than it has been the past couple of years because if it is still as dysfunctional every flaw in his game will be magnified).

I will. I know for a fact Doherty is better defensively than Aurier as Serge is utter dog shit. Literally one of the worse right backs I have watched at Spurs. I honestly think you have been watching a completely different player if you genuinely believe Aurier is good defensively

I don't know any who were.

Styles aside, just as a footballer in general Aurier has always looked a bit over his head in the Premier League, which Doherty has not.

Back
Top Bottom