FC Basel - Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Twitter? says it all really.

AVB has done a good job so far but some of his decisions/substitutions lately has been nothing short of bizzare. His continuous hard on for Dempsey cost us big time against Fulham, his usual Carroll for Dembele substitution when we're looking for a goal is also utterly baffling (Dembele was poor today though).

People keep talking about "being proud tonight" ...of what? the fact that we didn't concede for 30 minutes with 10 men? is that how bad it's got?

I mean yeh i'm aware we usually crumble under pressure, or after a bad decision but ffs man, Chelski fucking knock out Barca with 10 men, other teams win with 10 men, yet we're celebrating because we didn't concede in 30 minutes.

Carroll was one of our better players today and Dempsey had a brace. What are you on about?

AVB has done a good job so far but some of his decisions/substitutions lately has been nothing short of bizzare. His continuous hard on for Dempsey cost us big time against Fulham, his usual Carroll for Dembele substitution when we're looking for a goal is also utterly baffling (Dembele was poor today though).

People keep talking about "being proud tonight" ...of what? the fact that we didn't concede for 30 minutes with 10 men? is that how bad it's got?

I mean yeh i'm aware we usually crumble under pressure, or after a bad decision but ffs man, Chelski fucking knock out Barca with 10 men, other teams win with 10 men, yet we're celebrating because we didn't concede in 30 minutes.

Not_Sure_if_Serious_meme.jpg

Yeah, but Baggio was a goalscoring legend for many years before, and after that miss...

Ade is fast becoming the epitome of the modern-day football mercenary of the highest lowest order!

Just using the fact that putting a penalty over can happen to anyone, including a "goalscoring legend".

So its stupid to use it to slate Ade. Anyone with a footballing brain would be FAR more pissed off that he didnt see Siggy on the ET counter attack.

For all those ifs and buts you can go play footie manager as for tonight hats off to our team.
Defoe, bale, sandro, lennon, kaboul, lloris all not featuring and we still managed to battle for 120 mins with a more then decent side. Dawson was deffo crowned tonight as our new king what a fucking performance from him and jan up in till the red. Everyone else aswell put a shift in even the cunt adebayor. Who allows a 100k striker a week to play out wide is beyond me but hey he worked his ass off just as much as the rest up in till that comedy of a run up. I for one im proud of our team tonight. Gutted and ashamed but my head aint dropping . An older gentlemen made a very good point to me the other week at the lane. " whether its uefa or champions league it still two games a week" and trophies is what we play for !!! So hats off to avb for this experience and for talking it seriously, cause like it or not us english teams think we are owed success as the best league in the world but thats bollox. Cup runs = money and trophies = records, history and memories for our great club.

As for the wise jokes , leave them be. We've just been knocked out from a trophy we was so close to winning and some of you think this is the time to have a laugh. Be proud of us to tonight, keep your heads up and lets get behind the boys come the city game.

T.H.F.C till i die

We shouldn't be battling for 120 minutes though? this is such a small time attitude that would be better suited to fans of a league 2 team that just had a away match with a premiership team.

We played reasonably well today but Basle are not that good. The first match was down to our manager adopting a high line when Gallas is one of our cb's and an off day from our back 4. Today they looked average and there for the taking so let's not over do things and act as if "battling for 120 minutes" against Basle is some kind of achievement.

Admit it.... The entire English media (and many Spurs fans) wrote off Basle/Basel because they were SWISS and or Spanish or German!

Well guess what? we got knocked out by the better team over two legs... the penalties merely highlighted our inferiority... just 'cos Basle weren't from the Sky Sports Designated European Leagues of Power doesn't mean they're not allowed to be any good... more fool us for underestimating them, if that was the case!

Chelsea weren't missing half a team of first teamers like we were tonight. THAT is why people are proud. Under strength, knowing we had to chase the game in the 90, seeing Verts sent off after making the final sub so having to take a fresh playmaker and bung him in defence. Yet still only get knocked out on pens (something we haven't won on since before ANY of those players even wore a Spurs shirt) by the same team that dumped Utd out last season's CL.

Not cause for celebration granted but absolutely reason to be proud.

Just using the fact that putting a penalty over can happen to anyone, including a "goalscoring legend".

So its stupid to use it to slate Ade. Anyone with a footballing brain would be FAR more pissed off that he didnt see Siggy on the ET counter attack.

Don't worry... I am! I just hoped he'd made amends with the penalty... more fool soppy old me!

No one is celebrating mate. Just that some of the knee-jerk reaction is way over the top. Calling for your manager to be sacked after going out on pens is just plain idiotic.

Carroll was one of our better players today and Dempsey had a brace. What are you on about?

Yes that post was more to do with his decisions in other games. Today Carroll was decent, and generally looks a good prospect but when you're down and looking for a goal you would naturally take off a DM for a playmaker.

Dempsey was good today but dear me, he's not a very good footballer to say it lightly. He's good at finding space but that's about it.

In other news, Hawkeye has been approved for goal-line technology!

ONLY 'cos of Lampard's goal... nothing whatsoever to do with Mendes's goal and the disgusting decision to rob us of 2 points... yeah, you fucking bet it still hurts!

Now go and watch us be the first team to be the victim of the first goal-line technology decision next season!

Back
Top Bottom