Fan Activism for charity thread. Tottenham Versus Brighton Nov 1st pay per view.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

will you pay the PPV charge

• yes

Votes: 19 17.3%
  • no (inc streamers)

Votes: 91 82.7%

• Total voters
Def something to look into then.

Someone on my FB lives in Australia now but I don't think I've talked to her since school so be a bit cheeky to get in touch now 😃
I'm giving it a go. I've text my brother in law and I'm waiting for him to agree to forward me on the 2FA verification code before I actually enter his mobile number.
There is at least one more step after that which is "confirm your details". Hopefully that doesn't trip me up. I'll report back on whether I'm successful.

::EDIT::

Well I've managed to sign up. However...they recognise that I'm using a VPN. It won't let me stream the live channels Optus 1 or Optus 2. It does allow me to play the videos they have on their site, for example the Villa v Leeds highlights, which it won't without the VPN running. It's yet to be seen whether it will allow me to stream the games as they are played live. I'll have a go tomorrow.

Last edited:
Well that was fun. I've cancelled the VPN and Optus subscription. Doesn't work. I got a few very buffery minutes of a live channel stream, But that was it.
Fortunately NORD Vpn chat was excellent, and have apparently agreed to refund my subscription.
Optus was just a click of a button to cancel.

Back to the even more illegal ways of watching I guess! C'est la vie.

Anyone ITK on the ethics of the justgiving optional “fee”? I opted for 5% as I wasn’t sure so didn’t want to give nothing. For future donations it would be useful to know whether it’s a bit of a scam by then or an important part of of their model to ensure they dont take from the charities.

Well that was fun. I've cancelled the VPN and Optus subscription. Doesn't work. I got a few very buffery minutes of a live channel stream, But that was it.
Fortunately NORD Vpn chat was excellent, and have apparently agreed to refund my subscription.
Optus was just a click of a button to cancel.

Back to the even more illegal ways of watching I guess! C'est la vie.
The search continues!

Anyone ITK on the ethics of the justgiving optional “fee”? I opted for 5% as I wasn’t sure so didn’t want to give nothing. For future donations it would be useful to know whether it’s a bit of a scam by then or an important part of of their model to ensure they dont take from the charities.
I always give the minimum (recognise that they have to maintain the site but think that 5% a bit steep)

Have they revealed the buy rates for the games so far?
No. The PL are refusing to reveal the viewing figures even with the clubs so far. There is also no agreement on how the money will be split between the clubs or what Sky/BT will take to ‘recoup their costs”.

Last edited:
The money goes to the club. No gate receipts is tough.

I'll be paying £15, I'd normally spend £100 going to a match day.

If I am reading this right tonight Liverpool on Sky box office at £14.95 but repeated for those with sky package at Midnight on normal Sky Football channel. Option therefore of keeping away from any news of match and watching at Midnight or recording and watching in the next morning if you have a sky package.

The money goes to the club. No gate receipts is tough.

I'll be paying £15, I'd normally spend £100 going to a match day.

From what I understand the money is split between the premier league and BT/Sky. I have not seen anything that details the split or how much actually goes to the club's.

If it was the club themselves broadcasting I'd have no problem paying them directly to watch if the price is right, but that was ruled out in favour of this model. Personally I think this is the start of a slippery slope that will see Sky and BT putting all the best games on PPV and increasing prices so that average fans can't afford them. All of which would be solely to line their own pockets rather than be in the interests of the fans or sport.
I would normally spend more on a match day too, but for that I'm paying for a whole day out and the experience of being in the stadium with other fans. To me the two can't be compared.

If I am reading this right tonight Liverpool on Sky box office at £14.95 but repeated for those with sky package at Midnight on normal Sky Football channel. Option therefore of keeping away from any news of match and watching at Midnight or recording and watching in the next morning if you have a sky package.
Yes it does seem to be the case. Woves v Newcastle is on at 23:45 on Sunday too.

From what I understand the money is split between the premier league and BT/Sky. I have not seen anything that details the split or how much actually goes to the club's.
Sky & BT have said that they will only recoup their costs of covering the matches and pass the rest on to the clubs. What that means remains to be seen, but if it really is a low figure and not the bulk of the £15 then it’s really the same as the clubs doing it themselves and swallowing the production costs. And personally I’d rather watch via Sky than on a club stream if the pre-season friendlies are anything to go by.

Sky & BT have said that they will only recoup their costs of covering the matches and pass the rest on to the clubs. What that means remains to be seen, but if it really is a low figure and not the bulk of the £15 then it’s really the same as the clubs doing it themselves and swallowing the production costs. And personally I’d rather watch via Sky than on a club stream if the pre-season friendlies are anything to go by.

So there is a possibility that the club's will be better off this way then as the infrastructure is already there for the broadcasting, it really shouldn't be costing Sky and BT too much to be showing these games.

So there is a possibility that the club's will be better off this way then as the infrastructure is already there for the broadcasting, it really shouldn't be costing Sky and BT too much to be showing these games.
Hopefully not. They’ll make a packet from the usual gambling ads in the breaks anyway so let’s hope the bulk of the £15 goes to the clubs.

Back
Top Bottom