Burnley v Tottenham || Monday, 26 Oct @ 8pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well, everyone are talking about Regulion/Davies and Lo Celso/Sissoko, but I think worst decision was to start Lucas Moura in this game. He was absolutely useless and did nothing for us. I already said it before the game - there is no point to use him when opposition is defending deep. He has no time and room to make a decision and his ball control + decisionmaking in tight spaces is horrorshow.

Within his time on the field, he had 1 chance to leave his mark on the game when Ndombele found him with brilliant pass behind the line. And he just absolutely wasted the chance. Other moment I remember from him was giving away stupid foul in dangerous position.

Luckly Jose realized it and took him off before one hour mark. Moura is just not the player to start with if you know that opposition plays deeply and defends with 7 or 8 players all the time. We would have been better off with either Vinicius starting in his place, possibly Bale. Or alternatively playing 3 CBs and substituting Davies for Regulion and have given fullbacks lisence to bomb ahead.
Or Lamela for Moura from the start?

Sissoko is not everyones favorite but he was exactly what was needed in midfield last night. Two strong bruisers in him and Pierre to wrestle with the Burnley midfield and Tanguy to do the creative work. Probably slowed us down a bit but without both Pierre and Moussa taking on a heavily physical workload our midfield would probably have been beaten into the ground.

In theory yes but last night Sissoko was a pussy. He didn't jump for one high ball in the centre and he made just one tackle. He was easy to beat in the duels and as always timid on the ball. He can cover a lot of grass but he doesn't really impose himself on opponents. A player of his physical stature should not end a match like that without winning a single aerial duel. At least 3 times he was under the high ball and just let Burnley win it without a challenge.

Well, everyone are talking about Regulion/Davies and Lo Celso/Sissoko, but I think worst decision was to start Lucas Moura in this game. He was absolutely useless and did nothing for us. I already said it before the game - there is no point to use him when opposition is defending deep. He has no time and room to make a decision and his ball control + decisionmaking in tight spaces is horrorshow.

Within his time on the field, he had 1 chance to leave his mark on the game when Ndombele found him with brilliant pass behind the line. And he just absolutely wasted the chance. Other moment I remember from him was giving away stupid foul in dangerous position.

Luckly Jose realized it and took him off before one hour mark. Moura is just not the player to start with if you know that opposition plays deeply and defends with 7 or 8 players all the time. We would have been better off with either Vinicius starting in his place, possibly Bale. Or alternatively playing 3 CBs and substituting Davies for Regulion and have given fullbacks lisence to bomb ahead.

I agree but Bergwijn had an injury and Lamela, Gio and Bale have fitness concerns.

I can see the rationale of it - Lamela and Lucas being our two "fighters" in that position. Lamela has just come back from injury and is usually more effective off the bench anyway.

I think Jose saw Lucas as a safe bet for the first 45 to battle with them and then look to make the change when we needed more creativity there.

I don't think Bale of Bergjwin would have enjoyed that game and it is always a bit of a risk when Lamela starts.

Or Lamela for Moura from the start?

Neh, in greater scheme of things, Coco is just Moura minus the pace plus cleaverness plus decision making ability (but often delivery will not match the decision making anyway).
Not much difference in terms of overall quality and I doubt Coco would have contributed much more, cause in order his delivery to be accurate, he also needs time and room...

In a season of several positives one of the most pleasing things for me is the coming good of Ndombele. He is so bloody skilful. A joy to watch.

I know it’s been said and said over and again, but bloody hell we’ve managed to assemble a squad and a half here. When you’ve got international players not even making the bench you know your squad is in rude health.
Tanguay also showing good energy and the best is yet to come
Big improvement!

I agree but Bergwijn had an injury and Lamela, Gio and Bale have fitness concerns.

Well, then 2 out of 3 options (using Vinicius ; altering lineup to 3 CB and attacking fullbacks) would still have been an option.

Of course in the end we won and that is what matters. Happy for 3 points. Just thinking to myself how we could have made it less stressful/ narrow result :)

Thought Hojbjerg really improved the longer the game went on last night, he was sloppy early on in possession a number of times but he definitely upped it. He is definitely one of the leaders Kane was alluding to in his post match interview.

Ndombele skill in the corner was superb stuff, unfortunately he got carried away and tried a shot instead of a ball into the box( Think Moura was unmarked) . The move to put Sonny clear was great, two incisive passes through the midfield from Hojbjerg and Tanguy?, would have been a great goal. Think Sonny's first touch done him as it stuck under his feet and he needed a second before getting a shot away.

Overall not great performance wise but a gritty 3 points that last season would have resulted in us rolling over. Pleasing signs, 1 down two more wins to go before the next international break.

Tanguay also showing good energy and the best is yet to come
Big improvement!
Imo this is the missing piece of the puzzle that pundits don't seem to be picking up on.

Yes we did great business in the window - Hojberg and Reguilon being massive first team upgrades.

But the fact we now have a fit and firing Ndombele is huge and I haven't seen too many non-Spurs pundits recognising this.

Shows they only really follow at a surface-level.

Neh, in greater scheme of things, Coco is just Moura minus the pace plus cleaverness plus decision making ability (but often delivery will not match the decision making anyway).
Not much difference in terms of overall quality and I doubt Coco would have contributed much more, cause in order his delivery to be accurate, he also needs time and room...

Yes. Because we had to stay disciplined to manage their approach. God awful game but excellent win. Miserable battles like this with the right result are what distinguishes winners from losers.

You are a bit trigger happy on the disagrees mate. I was asking you a question not making a statement so have one back! (Not that I give a fuck!)

Think somebody already said it, but I love their shithousery and time wasting against all our rivals, it's just fucking irritating when that twice a season rolls around.
If nothing else you have to give them serious credit for staying in the league as long as they have with the resources they have.
other clubs like Southampton and Crystal Palace earn about £10m-£20m more, but they don't play like that in every match.

Back
Top Bottom