Burnley v Tottenham || Monday, 26 Oct @ 8pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agree with the comments on here about grinding it out last night. Horses for courses etc & Jose warned that it probably wouldn’t be pretty beforehand. Oddly though, once we scored I wasn’t in the slightest bit concerned that we’d concede a goal. Compare it to the Spam game, where a goal from them was always on the cards (we smashed them and then sat back admiring what we’d done) & as soon as we conceded one, I had that awful, sinking feeling. Last night I felt we had them beaten the moment we scored.

Jose's interview after was telling.

He mentioned he was considering Reguilon for Davies, Gio for Sissoko but was understandably worried about what you lose physically if you do that.

He opted against it and was about to go for Big Vin in for Sissoko before the goal.

He mentioned he was considering Reguilon for Davies, Gio for Sissoko but was understandably worried about what you lose physically if you do that.

He opted against it and was about to go for Big Vin in for Sissoko before the goal.
Agreed, and shows that balance in the squad is a lot more than just having 2 players in every position and a backup striker, its also about being able to bring in more physical players. or adapt to the oppo
Doherty is getting a bit of flak and I agree was by no means great last night but he is a physical presence, Same with Dier, Sissoko

There will always be sides like this, with the resources at their disposal they have little choice if they want to survive.

A comment made last night.....

After 6/7 seasons in the EPL that's circa 600m TV money, yet Burnley have spent about 70m.

Their owners must be raking it in.

A comment made last night.....

After 6/7 seasons in the EPL that's circa 600m TV money, yet Burnley have spent about 70m.

Their owners must be raking it in.
While they aren't paying the same wages as the big boys, I'd still imagine that most of the money goes to their wage bill, buying the odd player and staying afloat.
Doubt the owners are fleecing them, I could be wrong.

Maybe we should break off to the European league.. silky skill lads only

Thus rendering us the Bournemouth of the pack leaving us with a choice a la Atletico; find another way (Burnley-ism) or be a token never-ran inclusion.

While they aren't paying the same wages as the big boys, I'd still imagine that most of the money goes to their wage bill, buying the odd player and staying afloat.
Doubt the owners are fleecing them, I could be wrong.

I get the impression their fans are beginning to ask questions? Compare them to B'muff for example.....

Sissoko is not everyones favorite but he was exactly what was needed in midfield last night. Two strong bruisers in him and Pierre to wrestle with the Burnley midfield and Tanguy to do the creative work. Probably slowed us down a bit but without both Pierre and Moussa taking on a heavily physical workload our midfield would probably have been beaten into the ground.

He made some important tackles and broke up play too in a few key moments. I get that people want to see our sexy players all the time but Jose and the team got this one spot on. It was 100% not our fault the game was crap. This was an impressive performance and result.

Sorry, before the game I managed to rationalize the choice for myself in similar fashion.
But now after watching the game, I can say that this was not a successful choice.

1) We conceded a lot of chances to them. Even if half of them were tame long-distance shots they still had 13 times to shoot and few times smart decisions from Kane and Toby saved us from conceding a goal. So i would not say that he helped to broke up the game well enough.
2) Whenever he had to do anything with the ball... well it was painful to watch really. Multiple touches needed to control the ball, and essentially ALWAYS easiest possible pass made.

Sorry, but Lo Celso would have done more on both side, I honestly believe.

We knew what it was going to be tonight. Attacking we didn't really click but defensively we did everything needed to go and beat a very physical side and we matched them and battled like lions tonight which is what had to be done. Kane and son had 1 great moment and that was all that was needed for the 3 points. I'm proud of the fight we showed tonight. Showed a different side to ourselves one I'm happy to see we stood up to the fight.
This.
Last season Spurs probably wouldn’t have won the game .
A bit of resilience along with the attacking prowess of this squad will hopefully go a long way this season.

Last edited:

Well, everyone are talking about Regulion/Davies and Lo Celso/Sissoko, but I think worst decision was to start Lucas Moura in this game. He was absolutely useless and did nothing for us. I already said it before the game - there is no point to use him when opposition is defending deep. He has no time and room to make a decision and his ball control + decisionmaking in tight spaces is horrorshow.

Within his time on the field, he had 1 chance to leave his mark on the game when Ndombele found him with brilliant pass behind the line. And he just absolutely wasted the chance. Other moment I remember from him was giving away stupid foul in dangerous position.

Luckly Jose realized it and took him off before one hour mark. Moura is just not the player to start with if you know that opposition plays deeply and defends with 7 or 8 players all the time. We would have been better off with either Vinicius starting in his place, possibly Bale. Or alternatively playing 3 CBs and substituting Davies for Regulion and have given fullbacks lisence to bomb ahead.

Sissoko is not everyones favorite but he was exactly what was needed in midfield last night. Two strong bruisers in him and Pierre to wrestle with the Burnley midfield and Tanguy to do the creative work. Probably slowed us down a bit but without both Pierre and Moussa taking on a heavily physical workload our midfield would probably have been beaten into the ground.
I liked the way he had a few digs at Barnes and got in his face on a few other occasions after Barnes’ challenge on TA.

Back
Top Bottom