Antwerp v Spurs (Thursday 29th October @ 17.55)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think it would have been fine to get Alli and Bergjwin off and bring PEH and Son on.

That way you get some control in the middle with PEH and you push Gio forward. Son on for that extra quality and Bergjwin's terrible performance.

Lloris
Aurier Sanchez Davies Reg
Winks PEH
Lo Celso
Bale Vini Son

I hate having to bring PEH on and would rather him resting for a full game, but given the options I think I agree.

I may have also taken Bale off for Lamela, but that likely is due to hindsight and seeing him do nothing in the 2nd half, at the time I likely would have kept him on hoping he would have found his form a little more in that half.

I posted this when Leeds beat Villa last week. Exactly the opposite to what I saw today.

Everyone talks about Leeds High intensity and press.

But their ball play is great to watch. Off the ball movement is superb. Not like some of our midfielders just stand and watch. They pass the ball with purpose. Fizz the ball into feet. Triangles all over the place, man on the ball has options.

I GENUINELY think Dele is trying to play himself OUT of our club!!

He had the perfect opportunity to assert himself against decent, but limited opposition.... and he wanked it into a sock instead of creating a future!!

Shame.... real shame!

Mourinho deserves more than his fair share of the blame.

Anyone can sub guys on. There was no tactical plan at all from the subs. Bale, Bergwijn, Lo Celso are all much better progressive passers than Winks, Lamela and Lucas. So what happens? Shocker, we have no one that can make the final pass without Ndombele/Lo Celso.

Taking Vinny off was probably the worst of the bunch. If you want Kane on that's fine, but have him play a deeper role and be the creative focal point. Winks stayed on the whole 90, but that isn't Mourinho's fault?

Mou was mad and tried to send a message to the guys and it backfired completely.
Bale is still in 60 minutes conditioning mode. Bergwijn looks like he's rusty after coming back from the injury. Lo Celso maybe similar to both that he's both rusty and not available for full 90 minutes? Need to be careful hamstring injuries or it can get worsen.

If you keep CV on, then it meant you would have to require Kane to put much more effort in as #10 given our issue with the midfield, and lack of ballers from the CB position. 5 sub is not enough to change the game: Antwerp is good enough, and our starting line up had too many issues. Credit to them and shame on us in a sense of it's losing the battle not the war. Live and fight another day.

So now... Everton, Newcastle, West Ham and Antwerp. Anyone see a pattern emerging?

Pray tell; what is this "pattern" you've just awoken to?

...That we don't win every game we play?

United, Southampton, Chavs, Burnley, Macaabi, Shkëndija.....

Is there a pattern there too?

Honestly no fcuking analysis needed.

We were not great but every ball in their box fell to them. Maybe desire.

Davies made a mistake. Nobody rectified it..

No big fcuking deal.

Mickey Mouse fcuking tournament anyway, apart from the treasure at the end.

Move on.

Going through, do you really believe that, what'll happen when we come up against one of the really top teams, embarrassing
Different teams play in different ways. I don’t always agree with Igula but they were right in saying RA didn’t create tons. A bit like a better-organised Burnley. For some reason, we don’t play with pace and tempo against teams that sit back and end up struggling to score, as well as opening ourselves to the risk of sloppy goals.

Against the ‘top’ teams there should be more attacking intent, leaving more space. However, I don’t know for sure so time will tell. I also suspect we’ll have a stronger starting 11.

You're taking football FAR too seriously if a 1-0 loss to Antwerp in the second game of a group stage with a 2nd string team is affecting your life in some way.

Cheer up - we play again in 3 days.

I am not letting the individual result concern me, especially when we still likely walk to 1st place in the group meaning this result means nothing for us, what is concerning though is that we see some of the same issues in this game that have been issues for us in the past, including this season and could hurt us going forward.

I think this game highlighted the major hole in our midfield, especially when it comes to passing/creativity. We are so reliant on GLC, Ndombele and PEH that it is scary. There really is not anyone else that is close to reliable in our MF than those 3. Winks, Sissoko, Alli aren't close to good enough. Moura, Lamela, Bergwijn aren't close to good enough on the wings to make up for it.

I think if one of PEH, Ndombele or GLC are down for awhile we are in real trouble and that was made even more evident tonight.

I hate having to bring PEH on and would rather him resting for a full game, but given the options I think I agree.

I may have also taken Bale off for Lamela, but that likely is due to hindsight and seeing him do nothing in the 2nd half, at the time I likely would have kept him on hoping he would have found his form a little more in that half.
Bale got subbed around 60th minute, just like last week EL game. Clearly, it's just conditioning regime sub for Bale.

I've seen this kind of performance so many times from us over the years I think I've become immune to it..
For what it's worth I think a lot of this is on Jose making 9 changes and treating the Belgian league leaders with zero respect.
Also fucked up my 7 team acca.
Nah, ArseAnal have made 10 changes tonight.... and they're nailed on to win A Thousand-Nil tonight!! I'm surprised they're not already 9-0 up after 20 mins!

Making changes with the squad we have shouldn't weaken us.... we have 18-20 First team players.... any one of them should be able to help the team when called upon... not hinder it!

At kick off, we were all drooling at our strength in depth.... now we're wondering what our best 1st XI should be!

Back
Top Bottom