Antwerp v Spurs (Thursday 29th October @ 17.55)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm pretty sure they are all healthy and match fit. This was just a pathetic performance.
Bale, GLC not match fit. Reggie and Vin have only just got here. Dele has not been playing neither Berg.
Maybe just starting Lucas instead of either Berg or Dele might have made a difference?

To be honest though, reality checks like these are very good for this squad! As long as these losses are not too damaging and in this case, we have time to correct course.

It’s a process that we as a team has to build up towards. It’s a work in progress and all of us need to gain that perspective.

Please tell me more oh wise one.

Everyone shitting on Lo Celso are the same as the morons that shit on Ndombele.
What’s Ndombele got to do with it ?

to be clear I don’t feel the same way about Lo Celso as I do N’dombele. I think he is a good player, but can be average. N’dombele has a lot to prove. A lot. Just how I see it so far.

This is generally why rotation is 3-5 guys at a time each match over a period of several weeks. You can't just toss 11 guys out there and expect it to work, just like you can't sub 4 guys on at half and expect it to fix everything.

We have 22 or so guys that need playing time but outside of maybe 3-4 of them everyone else should be rotated pretty regularly and on schedule.
oh my GIF by Padma Lakshmi

Pray tell; what is this "pattern" you've just awoken to?

...That we don't win every game we play?

United, Southampton, Chavs, Burnley, Macaabi, Shkëndija.....

Is there a pattern there too?
Yes, the pattern is awful, gutless and capitulating performances when we sit back and think "how good are we".

I'd also forgotten about Shkendia, Plovdiv and Burnley! We were great those nights as well!

Playing like PL winners one week and Accrington Stanley the next, that's the pattern.

This is generally why rotation is 3-5 guys at a time each match over a period of several weeks. You can't just toss 11 guys out there and expect it to work, just like you can't sub 4 guys on at half and expect it to fix everything.

We have 22 or so guys that need playing time but outside of maybe 3-4 of them everyone else should be rotated pretty regularly and on schedule.

Problem is that this is the most intensive fixture list we will ever likely face..... The usual 'art' of rotation has somewhat flown out of the window.

We can't afford second string players to slope about lacking motivation as we represent a cup-final in every one of these group games.

So now... Everton, Newcastle, West Ham and Antwerp. Anyone see a pattern emerging?

We were clueless and barely improved after 5 changes (against our first half performance that is hard to achieve).

Great squad depth though!

I have to agree. In fairness I think we were unlucky against Newcastle. But the performance against Everton was dire, West Ham was a tale of two halves as was Southampton. Burnley was not great, tonight was terrible and most of the game against Plovdiv was poor. That represents a fair chunk of the season so far. We are such a ridiculously Jekyll and Hyde side

Winks start against Everton - Loss
Winks comes in at 3-0 WestHam - concede 3 goals
Winks full time
- 1-0(lucky it wasn’t 3-0)

Strange isn’t it?
Ahem.

Ndombele didn't start against Everton
Ndombele came off at 3-0
Ndombele didn't start today
I didn't wear my lucky pants v Everton... L
I DID wear them vs. West Ham... D
I wore them again vs. Burnley.... W
And STILL had them on tonight!!!! L

Strange, isn't it?

GO FIGURE!!

To be honest though, reality checks like these are very good for this squad! As long as these losses are not too damaging and in this case, we have time to correct course.

It’s a process that we as a team has to build up towards. It’s a work in progress and all of us need to gain that perspective.
I am being petty here, but if not for Davies mistake, we wouldn't have lost, and without the pressure to equalize, we might be more comfortable and nick a victory. A draw is of course better than this frustrating defeat.

Feel like shite, but it happens, so let's move on.

Problem is that this is the most intensive fixture list we will ever likely face..... The usual 'art' of rotation has somewhat flown out of the window.

We can't afford second string players to slope about lacking motivation as we represent a cup-final in every one of these group games.
I don’t know the ins-and-outs or fitness conditioning, but surely we need to play every game like it’s our cup-final? Leave it to management to look at ‘data’ and rotate; every player leaves everything on the pitch (as it were, not in a Lineker Italia ‘90 way).

Created our best chances from 2 crosses.
But was really shite the rest of the time
Sanchez made a great tackle but was shite for the rest

We can’t keep carrying passengers like these two and , sadly, Dele

Yes, the pattern is awful, gutless and capitulating performances when we sit back and think "how good are we".

I'd also forgotten about Shkendia! We were great that night as well!

Playing like PL winners one week and Accrington Stanley the next, that's the pattern.

Everton - Simply poor.
Newcastle - Battered them for 90+ mins
West Hame - Sloppy.
Tonight: Shit

It's only really the latter 2 of those games you could describe as complacent.

Back
Top Bottom