Most disrespected player

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Martin Chivers

Should have done so much better with his talent and physique but inconsistent and if you whacked him early enough in a game he would disappear
Remember at Derby where Roy McFarland did it and at Anfield where Larry Lloyd did the same

And then there was a game at Elland Rd where he terrorised a great Leeds team in the 70s and we won 2-1 where he was unplayable making surging runs at their defence
I remember this one well as I actually met the ‘great’ Billy Nic on the train back South in the dining carriage where he took the time to chat to me and a few star struck mates in our mid teens
Wonderful man and wonderful day
:bow:
But so deceptively quick for a big man.

Sissoko
VDV wasn't always universally loved at the time
Adebayor wasn't all that terrible.
Robbie Keane gets stick sometimes club legend
Kyle Walker was excellent for us.

Last edited:
But so deceptively quick for a big man.
Strange how some things stay in the mind.
I clearly recollect Chiv trying to score from the halfway line, straight from the 2nd half kick off - against Newcastle in '76.
Also happened to be his last game for us.

I'm going to add Tom Huddlestone.

I just never understood the criticism he got. All this nonsense about being fat and slow.

Shameful that Spurs fans couldn't see the ability he had on the ball. His technique and range of passing was superb. Talk about a Spurs type player, he was it.
Compare that to Sissoko for example and you think WTF are you guys watching.

We've not had a player since Tom, who can switch play as well as he could. Dembele, Modric, Wanyama, Parker, Dier, Winks couldn't do it. Tom was the perfect player to have in the midfield to exploit Bale and Lennon on either flank. Losing Carrick was big because he could switch play, but to then find a younger, English replacement on the cheap in Tom was one of the best bits of business that was done by a DoF at spurs.

I still remember with fondness that 2009/10 season when Redknapp played Modric and Huddlestone in midfield. Exact opposite to what we have now in Hojbjerg and Sissoko.

Steve Hodge.

Started off quite well but became homesick and let it affect his performances which forced a move to Forest. Not popular with Villa supporters either because he came back from the 86 World Cup believing that playing for Villa was harming his progress. Some of their supporters think he started making ‘mistakes’ to engineer a move to us

Although they are really annoying in the heat of the moment, I don't disrespect players (such as Sanchez or Soldado) who try hard, but turn out to be not very good. It's not their fault the manager chooses to play them, is it?

The ones I disrespect the most are the able ones who don't seem to be trying for the team. Of those, Adebayor will stick in my memory as a lazy player. I didn't like him. Seemed to me he only tried when he felt like it. I hate players who come across as lazy.

ps - I know he could score goals - you don't have to tell me. I still hated him.

I just never understood the criticism he got. All this nonsense about being fat and slow.

Shameful that Spurs fans couldn't see the ability he had on the ball. His technique and range of passing was superb. Talk about a Spurs type player, he was it.

We've not had a player since Tom, who can switch play as well as he could. Dembele, Modric, Wanyama, Parker, Dier, Winks couldn't do it. Tom was the perfect player to have in the midfield to exploit Bale and Lennon on either flank. Losing Carrick was big because he could switch play, but to then find a younger, English replacement on the cheap in Tom was one of the best bits of business that was done by a DoF at spurs.

I still remember with fondness that 2009/10 season when Redknapp played Modric and Huddlestone in midfield. Exact opposite to what we have now in Hojbjerg and Sissoko.

Technically gifted or not he was slow and immobile. We sold him to the mighty Hull aged 27 when he should have been at his peak and a couple of seasons later he was relegated with them. Has been released by Derby and looks like he may be finished at league level. So was he really that good or did people get fooled by the odd Hollywood pass?

Technically gifted or not he was slow and immobile. We sold him to the mighty Hull aged 27 when he should have been at his peak and a couple of seasons later he was relegated with them. Has been released by Derby and looks like he may be finished at league level. So was he really that good or did people get fooled by the odd Hollywood pass?

I was delighted when we sold him, very lazy player and limited, had a very good season when we came 4th but never kicked on after that, biggest style over substance spurs player I can think of.

Remember Paul Robinson getting lots of disrespect for a time. Could never understand it. Fantastic keeper who was regularly keeping us in games.

Compare with Gomes who followed, a complete clown for the most part yet everyone's favourite. Odd.

I like him too but the weakness of Huddlestone was too obvious. His pace was quite slow as a midfielder and not a real defensive MF at all. the combination of Modric and Huddlestone as our CM was really impressive at that 09-10 second half season.

I liked Huddlestone's skill, shooting and passing - definitely agree he was technically gifted. But he was too slow - it got frustrating seeing smaller, technically good midfielders play around him. If memory serves he got quite a bad injury sometime in 2010/11 and never really looked the same after that.

Although they are really annoying in the heat of the moment, I don't disrespect players (such as Sanchez or Soldado) who try hard, but turn out to be not very good. It's not their fault the manager chooses to play them, is it?

The ones I disrespect the most are the able ones who don't seem to be trying for the team. Of those, Adebayor will stick in my memory as a lazy player. I didn't like him. Seemed to me he only tried when he felt like it. I hate players who come across as lazy.

ps - I know he could score goals - you don't have to tell me. I still hated him.
Adebayor always gets a free pass from me for winding up the Scum fans so much when he ran the length of the field to celebrate scoring against them for Citeh

Hilarious 😆 😆 😆

But I do get what you mean and turning his back on a free kick was unforgivable together with Paulihno and we conceded from it!!

Back
Top Bottom