Ryan Sessegnon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He’s not going to make it as a defender in the PL, just too flimsy and doesn’t enjoy the blood and thunder aspect.

If he has a future here it’s as an attacking player, he’s intelligent but he’s got to be more aggressive on the ball.

Wing back is probably his best position in a team that plays 3 at the back. I don't think he's got what it takes to be either a top class full back or wide midfielder/forward. I don't see us playing that system any time soon though.

Wing back is probably his best position in a team that plays 3 at the back. I don't think he's got what it takes to be either a top class full back or wide midfielder/forward. I don't see us playing that system any time soon though.
He will likely have to settle for a career at a Brighton/Southampton level club, at least in the short term.

Maybe he won't be ready to be a left back in the Premier League, but maybe he could be a similar style winger to how we have used Bergwijn. He's surely better defensively than our other wingers, and is good on the ball. He obviously needs more strength, aggression and confidence but you like to think he will build on these areas over the season. At worse have a young, HG squad option for next season.

He’s not going to make it as a defender in the PL, just too flimsy and doesn’t enjoy the blood and thunder aspect.

If he has a future here it’s as an attacking player, he’s intelligent but he’s got to be more aggressive on the ball.
Unfortunately this is pretty spot on. Unless he makes some big changes in his mentality, I’m afraid he’ll get nowhere close to someone like Reguilon as a fullback in this league.

I have only seen him on his few appearances for Spurs. I expected to see him beating players and sending in crosses and yet he seemed to be making just safe passes. He seemed to lack the attitude that Mourinho clearly wants. Now that is not the reputation I heard about from Fulham before he arrived. He really needs to come back a different player if he has any hope of breaking into our squad.

Glad he is getting game time. His issues are in his head. He is easily as strong and fit as Reggie but one has the Daemon of a mouse one a Lion. Needs to grow a big hairy pair and live it.
Doesn't have the pace of Reggy but is clearly very accomplished technically.

Don't know how easy it will be to bring out the required aggression, maybe he comes back a changed man.

Ryan Sessegnon - Hoffenheim Analysis | Tottenham loan watch - YouTube

Decent in depth analysis of his time at Hoffenheim where he's mainly used as a LB/LWB. He's certainly improving from his few appearances at Spurs and seems to have made the LB/LWB positions at Hoffenheim his own - but analysis suggesting he may need a PL loan net season to get to the standard required to compete at Spurs, suggesting he is not improving that much over the player he was at Fuham.

Still two thirds of the season to go so if he keeps playing at Hoffenheim he may continue to develop and be ready to re-join the squad at Spurs but its clearly not guaranteed. Certainly good news he went on loan this season

Just reading through this thread and seeing everything about him being player of the month.

This is huge for him in my view. His skill and athleticism are apparent to anyone who has ever watched him, I think what happened in the early stages here was that he was massively suffering from a lack of confidence. He’s been a prodigy since he was 16, had all the success in the world at Fulham and was the youngest Championship player of the year ever.

Then he comes here after Fulham’s relegation and for the first time in his senior career is struggling with injuries and isn’t playing week in week out, plus the turmoil going on at the club. It’s easy to forget because of how long he’s been around but he’s only couple months older than Skipp. Playing every week in the Bundesliga and succeeding is exactly what he needs to rebuild that confidence.

Next season, he comes back and likely backs up Reguilon and should be one of the best backup fullbacks in the league if he keeps up his form and improvement.

Just reading through this thread and seeing everything about him being player of the month.

This is huge for him in my view. His skill and athleticism are apparent to anyone who has ever watched him, I think what happened in the early stages here was that he was massively suffering from a lack of confidence. He’s been a prodigy since he was 16, had all the success in the world at Fulham and was the youngest Championship player of the year ever.

Then he comes here after Fulham’s relegation and for the first time in his senior career is struggling with injuries and isn’t playing week in week out, plus the turmoil going on at the club. It’s easy to forget because of how long he’s been around but he’s only couple months older than Skipp. Playing every week in the Bundesliga and succeeding is exactly what he needs to rebuild that confidence.

Next season, he comes back and likely backs up Reguilon and should be one of the best backup fullbacks in the league if he keeps up his form and improvement.
did you actually watch him play for Hoffenheim?

did you actually watch him play for Hoffenheim?
I haven’t watched him touch for touch, but all I’m suggesting is that if he rebuilds his confidence in Germany that he can be a backup here next year.

Whatever your rebuttal is, my statement is pretty neutral. Not suggesting he’s Maldini.

I haven’t watched him touch for touch, but all I’m suggesting is that if he rebuilds his confidence in Germany that he can be a backup here next year.

Whatever your rebuttal is, my statement is pretty neutral. Not suggesting he’s Maldini.
Um...

Anyway, from what I've seen of him at Hoffenheim, he doesn't have a future here. We can't have him as a backup cos that would stunt his development (behind Regui and Davies). He'll have to go on another loan, and I don't expect he'll do well enough to earn a regular spot with us after that season either.

His skill and athleticism are massively overblown. He has a good cross, that's all you can say for his skills.

Um...

Anyway, from what I've seen of him at Hoffenheim, he doesn't have a future here. We can't have him as a backup cos that would stunt his development (behind Regui and Davies). He'll have to go on another loan, and I don't expect he'll do well enough to earn a regular spot with us after that season either.

His skill and athleticism are massively overblown. He has a good cross, that's all you can say for his skills.
You chat some shit!

The Hoffenheim POTM was much like the Skipp MOTM awards for Norwich - online votes bombarded by Spurs fans. I think he's shown enough to think that LB can be his position and he can be a high quality player there. He was excellent for most of the game vs Augsburg last week, but was beaten at the back post for a headed goal. He still has a lot to learn but he's a terrific athlete, has good control and passing, goal threat and he's showing improvement in his aggression. Still just 20, the criticism he gets from some befuddles me

You chat some shit!
Bull Cbs GIF by CBS

The Hoffenheim POTM was much like the Skipp MOTM awards for Norwich - online votes bombarded by Spurs fans. I think he's shown enough to think that LB can be his position and he can be a high quality player there. He was excellent for most of the game vs Augsburg last week, but was beaten at the back post for a headed goal. He still has a lot to learn but he's a terrific athlete, has good control and passing, goal threat and he's showing improvement in his aggression. Still just 20, the criticism he gets from some befuddles me
If he was an Woolwich, or West Ham player away on loan, there would be no reason to criticise. He's playing decent enough for his age/ability.

But he's a 30m superstar youth player for Spurs. He was supposed to be a potential Sancho level player, it's rather dissapointing that, from I can see, he'll likely not have a career here long term.

Maybe he won't be ready to be a left back in the Premier League, but maybe he could be a similar style winger to how we have used Bergwijn. He's surely better defensively than our other wingers, and is good on the ball. He obviously needs more strength, aggression and confidence but you like to think he will build on these areas over the season. At worse have a young, HG squad option for next season.
Unless he has changed his biggest problem was not trusting himself, played it safe everytime, if he gets over that I've seen at Fulham he could be a player

Back
Top Bottom