Ryan Sessegnon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If he was an Woolwich, or West Ham player away on loan, there would be no reason to criticise. He's playing decent enough for his age/ability.

But he's a 30m superstar youth player for Spurs. He was supposed to be a potential Sancho level player, it's rather dissapointing that, from I can see, he'll likely not have a career here long term.

He's not responsible for whatever hyperbolic bullshit you cook up in your head....

He's 20 FFS!

Did we overpay for him; I suspect so... Can he develop into a useful player for us... Absolutely no reason why not.

He's not responsible for whatever hyperbolic bullshit you cook up in your head....

He's 20 FFS!

Did we overpay for him; I suspect so... Can he develop into a useful player for us... Absolutely no reason why not.
People forget that Sissoko cost us 30m. It’s really not that much these days. He’ll come good!

People forget that Sissoko cost us 30m. It’s really not that much these days. He’ll come good!
30m is a LOT. Only 3 players in our squad cost more. Ndombele 60m, Sanchez, Lo Celso 40m. And it wasn't like he was actually rocking the championship.

I think some people here see my negativity as wanting the players to fail, and it upsets them. They think I hate Sess, and I blame him for not being good enough. I guess it's the same thing that makes most people hate sad movie endings.

I'm just making an honest observation, I don't claim to have some special insight, but this is what I see. An imperfect player with a limited skillset, and a serious lack of grit and courage.

It's not a matter of patience or impatience either, if he comes good at some point, great! but here and now he doesn't look the part.

For 30m we could have got so so much more. Even in our own academy we have Tanganga, who has played LB/RB more effectively than him.

He's only been at the club for a year, a bit part player, who then went on loan, I don't get why some are so attached to him already. I could understand if it was Kaziah Sterling or Jack Roles for instance. They actually came through our academy.

I've seen at Fulham he could be a player
Honest question, not trolling. What about him at Fulham (in the championship) stood out for you?

Cos what I saw in the PL for them and for us just did not impress. I sought out highlight reels at the time of his signing, and it was just good crosses and poaching goals from inside the box.

No dribbling or clever flicks and tricks, no pings, fairly fast, but not like the welsh kid at United, no thundercunt goals, it was good but not pay 30m for an injured 19 year old good.

Honest question, not trolling. What about him at Fulham (in the championship) stood out for you?

Cos what I saw in the PL for them and for us just did not impress. I sought out highlight reels at the time of his signing, and it was just good crosses and poaching goals from inside the box.

No dribbling or clever flicks and tricks, no pings, fairly fast, but not like the welsh kid at United, no thundercunt goals, it was good but not pay 30m for an injured 19 year old good.
quinn fabray moron GIF

30m is a LOT. Only 3 players in our squad cost more. Ndombele 60m, Sanchez, Lo Celso 40m. And it wasn't like he was actually rocking the championship.

I think some people here see my negativity as wanting the players to fail, and it upsets them. They think I hate Sess, and I blame him for not being good enough. I guess it's the same thing that makes most people hate sad movie endings.

I'm just making an honest observation, I don't claim to have some special insight, but this is what I see. An imperfect player with a limited skillset, and a serious lack of grit and courage.

It's not a matter of patience or impatience either, if he comes good at some point, great! but here and now he doesn't look the part.

For 30m we could have got so so much more. Even in our own academy we have Tanganga, who has played LB/RB more effectively than him.

He's only been at the club for a year, a bit part player, who then went on loan, I don't get why some are so attached to him already. I could understand if it was Kaziah Sterling or Jack Roles for instance. They actually came through our academy.

Not quite.... Your negativity is in fact ill-founded tedium that wears thin VERY quickly.

......And you're wrong; it IS very much a matter of patience - You clearly have NONE.

You try and spin everything with "I don't know why everyone is so precious/attached/defensive" false narratives..... A) They aren't and B) if you persistently and gratuitously shit on 3/4s of the players you eventually offend peoples sensibility as supporters of this club.

Between Bale & Sessengon you expose the full spectrum of you lack of patience:

- Young kid with high hopes = the above tirades.
- Seasoned world class pro with roughly as many trophies as the entire club = I want it now/he's lazy and useless.

I'm actually embarrassed for you.....:mourfacepalm:

You obviously don't understand football beyond a bunch of YouTube highlight reels.

Last edited:
Not quite.... Your negativity is in fact ill-founded tedium that wears thin VERY quickly.

......And you're wrong; it IS very much a matter of patience - You clearly have NONE.

You try and spin everything with "I don't know why everyone is to precious/attached/defensive".... A) They aren't and B) if you persistently and gratuitously shit on 3/4s of the players you eventually offend peoples sensibility as supporters of this club.

Between Bale & Sessengon you expose the full spectrum of you lack of patience:

- Young kid with high hopes = the above tirades.
- Seasoned world class pro with roughly as many trophies than the entire club = I want it now/he's lazy and useless.

I'm actually embarrassed for you.....:mourfacepalm:

You obviously don't understand football beyond a bunch of YouTube highlight reels.
See what I mean? Unless it's relentless optimism it drives some people mad. They'll get mad at me and just chant "give it time", but really what are the green shoots of potential you see in Sess?

If you ask me about Tanganga, I can say, he's really assertive at defending headers and long aerial balls (better than Sanchez even), anticipiates danger - like how he got behind Lloris to clear the ball against Liverpool, and Southampton. He is relatively fast, and can carry the ball - like he did against Liverpool, Middlesborough, and a few other games. He can step up to press as well. These are signs of a potential quality player.

He's also showing a degree of maturity and courage to take his chances, rather than shrinking in the spotlight.

He's doing well, so there's not really a need to discuss him much, at least until he starts to build on these traits in the coming seasons. Maybe pushing ahead of Doherty as the main backup RB.

You get so upset that I'm not fawning over 2/3 players, but I don't see you much in the Skipp thread, where me and a couple of other users are regularly watching him and post positive comments.

You want me to either say positive things about Sess or be quiet. Well, I don't see many positives to talk about. Like I said, besides his crossing and composure in front of goal he just doesn't do a lot.

He can't take on a defender 1v1 like Sancho, Hudnson Odoi and others. He's can't put in a tackle, or jump high for headers like Tanganga, he can't shoot from outside the box, he's not making great passes and set pieces like Harvey White is building a reputation for. He's not shown any kind of special game intelligence either, he's not a shithouser, or a leader.

So what attributes am I supposed to go on when people say he's gonna come good? He can develop those traits, but there are no signs pointing in that direction.

See what I mean? Unless it's relentless optimism it drives some people mad. They'll get mad at me and just chant "give it time", but really what are the green shoots of potential you see in Sess?

If you ask me about Tanganga, I can say, he's really assertive at defending headers and long aerial balls (better than Sanchez even), anticipiates danger - like how he got behind Lloris to clear the ball against Liverpool, and Southampton. He is relatively fast, and can carry the ball - like he did against Liverpool, Middlesborough, and a few other games. He can step up to press as well. These are signs of a potential quality player.

He's also showing a degree of maturity and courage to take his chances, rather than shrinking in the spotlight.

He's doing well, so there's not really a need to discuss him much, at least until he starts to build on these traits in the coming seasons. Maybe pushing ahead of Doherty as the main backup RB.

You get so upset that I'm not fawning over 2/3 players, but I don't see you much in the Skipp thread, where me and a couple of other users are regularly watching him and post positive comments.

You want me to either say positive things about Sess or be quiet. Well, I don't see many positives to talk about. Like I said, besides his crossing and composure in front of goal he just doesn't do a lot.

He can't take on a defender 1v1 like Sancho, Hudnson Odoi and others. He's can't put in a tackle, or jump high for headers like Tanganga, he can't shoot from outside the box, he's not making great passes and set pieces like Harvey White is building a reputation for. He's not shown any kind of special game intelligence either, he's not a shithouser, or a leader.

So what attributes am I supposed to go on when people say he's gonna come good? He can develop those traits, but there are no signs pointing in that direction.

Have to mostly agree with this. Sessegnon has been one of the most dissapointing signings I can remember. Nothing about him has stood out. If we get offered what we paid I'd take it. He was definitely over hyped due to his age but if you do look back at his Fulham highlights very little truly stands out.

Have to mostly agree with this. Sessegnon has been one of the most dissapointing signings I can remember. Nothing about him has stood out. If we get offered what we paid I'd take it. He was definitely over hyped due to his age but if you do look back at his Fulham highlights very little truly stands out.

The Office Reaction GIF

See what I mean?

No..... I sense few others do either.

Unless it's relentless optimism it drives some people mad.

More bollocks.... There is a world between your (self professed) "negativity" and the relentless optimism you falsely accuse others of... It's called patience.

Writing off a 20 year old international regular with the early track record that he has shows you have none.... Same as the crap you're also spewing about Bale; you're in some needless rush to decalre definitive judgement ("Bale is lazy and useless; prove me wrong!").

I've not said he will rival Sancho... That's YOUR concoction.... Again, much like the imaginary declarations you're rallying against re: Bale.

They'll get mad at me and just chant "give it time", but really what are the green shoots of potential you see in Sess?

Wait.... You've been implying that I'm spewing high praise and love all over the lad.... Surley if this was true, you'd be able to work this out for yourself?

If you ask me about Tanganga, I can say, he's really assertive at defending headers and long aerial balls (better than Sanchez even), anticipiates danger - like how he got behind Lloris to clear the ball against Liverpool, and Southampton to clear the ball off the line. He is relatively fast, and can carry the ball - like he did against Liverpool, Middlesborough, and a few other games. He can step up to press as well. These are signs of a potential quality player.

He's doing well, so there's not really a need to discuss him much, at least until he starts to build on these traits in the coming seasons.

You get so upset that I'm not fawning over 2/3 players,....

A) This is not me being "upset"
B) I'm not imploring you to "fawn" over anyone/anything either....

Must you attempt to prop EVERYTHING up with false narrative?

Lastly.... It's not just 2/3 players though is it....?

Just off the top of my head : Son ("LImited" LOL), Sissoko (does nothing), Bale (Lazy and useless), Sessengon (waste of time), Lucas, Winks, Dele (sell 'em both... "Whadya mean there's such a thing as HG rules???"..... There's others, but I shan't put further leg work in to remind myself.

but I don't see you much in the Skipp thread, where me and a couple of other users are regularly watching him and post positive comments.

I'm keenly following his progress (though mostly second-hand I'll admit because I mainly watch Spurs) and do post and rate the posts of others when I see fit....

Btw, Sessengon has already bossed that league so (rhetorically speaking); why get so over-awed by Skipp doing similar? You're not really doing your case the service you think you are here......

You want me to either say positive things about Sess or be quiet.

Nope.... As above... There's a world of grey area between blindly kissing the kids arse and terminal damnation.

Well, I don't see many positives to talk about. Like I said, besides his crossing and composure in front of goal he just doesn't do a lot.

He scored a bucket load as a literal kid in a tough-ass league and is to his credit now fighting for gametime in 2 of the worlds top leagues rather than thinking he's 'made it'..... That should be applauded and encouraged.... He's still trying to establish/earn what his best position is.... LB/WB/LW...

Funny this reminds me of a young player we had before; Garreth someone.... You'd no doubt would have been right at the front of the queue to sell him to Forrest for 1m back then.

Some fans (note not "supporters") never learn. :sigh:

So what attributes am I supposed to go on when people say he's gonna come good?

No-one's promised you he's gonna come good..... :roll:

FFS... That's seemingly half the problem with you; you're impatient, entitled and want reassurances....

Ask yourself this:

Much like Bale.... Why such a rush to conclusively assess (and ultimately dismiss) him???? What good is it doing you?

No matter how many YT clips you watch or computer games you play you'll never be Jose; so why pressure yourself with his burden....?

Last edited:

That's not a particularly bold statement..

Pricetag aside.... He's a few months into what should be a productive loan for him... Why dismiss him so eagerly?

- Can I just remind you of my original synopsis.... Is it really so hard to get your head round it that you must follow up with a barrage of false narrative and whatabout-ism?

No..... I sense few others do either.

More bollocks.... There is a world between your (self professed) "negativity" and the relentless optimism you falsely accuse others of... It's called patience.

Writing off a 20 year old international regular with the early track record that he has shows you have none.... Same as the crap you're also spewing about Bale; you're in some needless rush to decalre definitive judgement ("Bale is lazy and useless; prove me wrong!").

I've not said he will rival Sancho... That's YOUR concoction.... Again, much like the imaginary declarations you're rallying against re: Bale.

Wait.... You've been implying that I'm spewing high praise and love all over the lad.... Surley if this was true, you'd be able to work this out for yourself?

A) This is not me being "upset"
B) I'm not imploring you to "fawn" over anyone/anything either....

Must you attempt to prop EVERYTHING up with false narrative?

Lastly.... It's not just 2/3 players though is it....?

Just off the top of my head : Son ("LImited" LOL), Sissoko (does nothing), Bale (Lazy and useless), Sessengon (waste of time), Lucas, Winks, Dele (sell 'em both... "Whadya mean there's such a thing as HG rules???"..... There's others, but I shan't put further leg work in to remind myself.

I'm keenly following his progress (though mostly second-hand I'll admit because I mainly watch Spurs) and do post and rate the posts of others when I see fit....

Btw, Sessengon has already bossed that league so (rhetorically speaking); why get so over-awed by Skipp doing similar? You're not really doing your case the service you think you are here......

Nope.... As above... There's a world of grey area between blindly kissing the kids arse and terminal damnation.

He scored a bucket load as a literal kid in a tough-ass league and is to his credit now fighting for gametime in 2 of the worlds top leagues rather than thinking he's 'made it'..... That should be applauded and encouraged.... He's still trying to establish/earn what his best position is.... LB/WB/LW...

Funny this reminds me of a young player we had before; Garreth someone.... You'd no doubt have been right at the front of the queue to sell him to Forrest for 1m back then.

Some fans (note not "supporters") never learn. :sigh:

No-one's promised you he's gonna come good..... :roll:

FFS... That's seemingly half the problem with; you're impatient, entitled and want reassurances....

Ask yourself this:

Much like Bale.... Why such a rush to conclusively assess (and ultimately dismiss) him???? What good is it doing you?

No matter how many YT clips you watch or computer games you play you'll never be Jose; so why pressure yourself with his burden....?
You're accusing me of rushing to conclusion, but all I've actually said about him is that I don't see any specific evidence to believe he will be good enough for us. He could be, but there's no evidence to go on.

I already mentioned his good crossing and ability to poach goals, he's exceptional at that but that's not enough long term. He's not even OK at most of the other things that make a good footballer.

As things stand right now, he's not good enough to come back next season and be a backup to reguilon. That role goes to Davies and then Tanganga. He's not good enough to back up Son, that goes to Son, Lamela and then Bale.

And as far as I can see he'll have to settle for a career lower down the PL table. Hardly a damning criticism. Plenty of half decent PL players live off of being able to do one or two things well.

On the issue of Sessegon, my criticisms of the scouts and Levy are far more significant than Sess himself. My frustration is with them for blowing so much money on him when we needed actual starters, and mature players like a real RB, backup striker etc. Not some kid who'd take another 2/3 seasons to maybe play for us.

That's not a particularly bold statement..

Pricetag aside.... He's a few months into what should be a productive loan for him... Why dismiss him so eagerly?
This where I came into this thread:

He will likely have to settle for a career at a Brighton/Southampton level club, at least in the short term.

I didn't even respond to you, you're the one who decided to take issue with my comments and start an argument.

Have you considered going to an argument clinic? I know they only exist in the world of monty python, but I don't see that stoppping you.

This where I came into this thread:

"He will likely have to settle for a career at a Brighton/Southampton level club, at least in the short term."

I didn't even respond to you, you're the one who decided to take issue with my comments and start an argument.

Nah....

You're all mixed up.... I responded to the following post with the aforementioned comment:

If he was an Woolwich, or West Ham player away on loan, there would be no reason to criticise. He's playing decent enough for his age/ability.

"he's a 30m superstar youth player for Spurs. He was supposed to be a potential Sancho level player, it's rather dissapointing "

It spiraled from there.

- You claiming you're not being impatient. (He's just turned 20 FFS!)
- Making false claims about the "attachment" of others etc.
- You even contradict yourself by saying "He's playing decent enough for his age/ability."... WDF????

The fact is, what I'm subsequently debating you over is broader than Sessengon at this point.... That should be perfectly evident from my comments.

("I posted first" doesn't give you immunity from having your comments debated, fella.... Bit of an inane basis to start accusing people of merely starting arguments especially considering the moderate reach of my original retort.... Again.... Public forum; people won't always agree.. Get used to it.)

Took up great positions, was direct and a great touch. To be honest it was mainly highlights rather than full games.

People might not like the poster, but the fact is that Sessegnon has been toilet, and was toilet for Fulham when we bought him.

Said it then, saying it now.

He might come good. So might Sanchez, because at least Sanchez was good for Ajax and us.
But Sessengon tearing up the championship four years ago isn’t really doing it for me

Took up great positions, was direct and a great touch. To be honest it was mainly highlights rather than full games.
So manly the same stuff I was going on about, a good instinct to sniff out a chance in the box and have the finesses to control the ball and finish it.

But all his highlights are like poacher 101, very little in terms of defensive strenth, I remember a lot of Fulham fans saying he was not defensive solid. He was converted into a winger in the second half of their promotion season.

Excusing the juvenile phrasing, why do you think we bought him? Are you pissed off about it? If so why?
I'm sure he'll speak for himself, but if you don't mind me interjecting, yes, I'm pissed of we bought him.

I don't know why we bought him, other than maybe because we missed out on Sancho, Grealish and other talented youth. The England u17 won the world cup, Foden and Hudson-Odoi ran rampant, but he was so vital to Fulham they kept him in the side rather than sending him to the tournament. I'm guessing Hitchens or whoever it was, figured he was another potential Sancho. Someone was dreaming big.

In the real world, we were crying out for a backup striker, a Trippier replacement, a DM. None of which materialised. That 30m for Sess could have funded at least one of those vital needs.

Honestly, the person responsible for his recruitment needs to face a serious enquiry. It was shoddy work.

Back
Top Bottom