Steven Bergwijn

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hhhmmmmmmmmmmmm....................I wonder why his chances were bigger than Mane's? Could it have anything to do with getting past your marker 1v1? Something that Mane DIDN'T do and Bergwijn DID!!!

So it would have been better for him not to have beaten his opposite number so that he didn't have a great opportunity than beat his opposite number and fashion a great chance.??@!!??

The way some of you watch the game is truly baffling (Sorry Baz, I love you man, hope you don't get too stuffy about that comment, I would understand if you did though).
TBF Mane did get past Serge which is when he hit the bar. Strange that everyone has forgotten that moment. Mane should have actually squared it but hey ho.

TBF Mane did get past Serge which is when he hit the bar. Strange that everyone has forgotten that moment. Mane should have actually squared it but hey ho.
I hadn't forgotten that moment, I've mentioned it in a previous post.
Q: Why did it hit the bar?
A: Aurier just got his toe onto it, it went for a corner just to confirm his nick.

I hadn't forgotten that moment, I've mentioned it in a previous post.
Q: Why did it hit the bar?
A: Aurier just got his toe onto it, it went for a corner just to confirm his nick.
So what? I am just responding to your assertion that Mane didn't beat his man 1v1; he did and probably should have scored from doing it.

Son always had it, its just that Kane never played the 10 like he does today.

So the scoring responsibility relies more on Son than ever before.

Remember when Kane was injured he was the sole man who carried us.

DIfferent class. The eye test says it all.
Respectful disagree- I think younger Son was less skilled and more inconsistent. He has said the same of himself in interviews too.

Bergwijn is young and has so much time to grow still. As long he approaches it the right way, he will learn and grow from this, much as Son did and continues to do.

The abuse he's getting online from "spurs fans" is pathetic.

Some outrageous takes in here, but also some sensible ones so fair play to the fans who understand what Bergwijn is being asked to do and what he is bringing. The guy is working his ass off and is a threat with his pace in behind. He makes better decisions than Lucas which is why he is ahead of him, and is better defensively than Bale which is why he is ahead of him.

If that shot comes off the post and goes in then Jose is a genius and we're all smug as fuck. It doesn't because he miscalculated very very slightly and suddenly he's not worth his place? How many times do Sterling or Rashford or Werner go through 1v1 and miss? ALL THE FUCKING TIME.

Just because he isn't Harry Kane or Son doesn't make him useless. The guy is good and will come good, just give it some time. He barely even knows the team and the league yet!

Aurier is the same player he has always been once he got past his first season.

Dele just needs to be played in his best position, having said that in a Jose team (low-block, low possession football) I just don't think he can thrive under that.

I'm not disappointed with Bergwijn, I genuinely thought he had a great game. Won his 1v1's and defending superbly.

Obviously, I am disappointed with the result but more so in how we go about our approach. You know I'm no fan of this god awful Jose ball, for all the percentages he plays without the ball by forcing the oppo into low percentage areas in the pitch, on the flip side it means his attackers have to score with every attack. That's simply unsustainable.
We’ll have a agree to disagree on Bergwijn and Jose but no problem and we’ve both put our case

The more I watch the Amazon documentary the more I like him

I feel a bit sorry for him. A team set up with 2 defensive midfielders and a back 4 means he should really have great attacking freedom. He should have taken one of the chances last night. But when you're not getting those chances regularly because you spend 80% of your time defending, it's not surprising you could miss them.
Not every player can be as efficient as Son and remember it took Sonny a few years to get to this level. The Son of 2015/16 would likely have struggled to play in this Jose team as well.
I think he has to work on his dribble skills and his finishing as he should have known how important his goal could be in the context of the season. Yes, Mourinho will take a draw against Liverpool but he can see the 3 points there for the taking. And yes he will need to work on his fitness (I don’t mean bulking up) as he showed he cannot out spring defenders so many times including farmers in Europa.

If people are posting on Twitter, Instagram or some other media bullishit then players should stay off the fcuking things.

People are thick as pig shit if they think that is appropriate behaviour.

Fcuking shameful.

As if a player ever misses chances on purpose.

The social media owners should be doing more to flush out these morons who hide behind a keyboard. Surely this sort of abuse has to be a criminal act. Unfortunately, every club has a brainless element, and unless the authorities start to clamp down on them, they will just carry on doing it.

So what? I am just responding to your assertion that Mane didn't beat his man 1v1; he did and probably should have scored from doing it.
If the defender caused the ball to deflect onto the bar then the defender won the duel. He did his job, he stopped his opponent form doing what he was trying to do, in this case that was to score.

Bro, this is not a Poch’s project. Mourinho is here to win now. He played Berj in Europa in the hope he will be sharp for THIS match and the kid blew it.
Levy already polished the trophy cabinet before Mourinho moved into his office.
Well Mourinho knew that Spurs can’t afford the best most efficient attackers, relative to our finances, we are lucky that we got an academy product who is a freak and that, Sonny is Korean, because if he was from a fashionable footy nation he’d have been long gone.

it’s a system that relies on the attackers to be hyper efficient in the chances they get. That’s what Bale was brought in for but his level is so low and people are in denial.

Some outrageous takes in here, but also some sensible ones so fair play to the fans who understand what Bergwijn is being asked to do and what he is bringing. The guy is working his ass off and is a threat with his pace in behind. He makes better decisions than Lucas which is why he is ahead of him, and is better defensively than Bale which is why he is ahead of him.

If that shot comes off the post and goes in then Jose is a genius and we're all smug as fuck. It doesn't because he miscalculated very very slightly and suddenly he's not worth his place? How many times do Sterling or Rashford or Werner go through 1v1 and miss? ALL THE FUCKING TIME.

Just because he isn't Harry Kane or Son doesn't make him useless. The guy is good and will come good, just give it some time. He barely even knows the team and the league yet!
I think he could make a better full back. He is solid defensively and has the engine, both Danny Rose and Wan Bissaka started off as wingers. In fact there are many players who have made the switch successfully

Should check out the match threads before deciding that it's only social media where people are horrible to our players.

I agree but at least (hopefully) none of the players or their families are seeing it since these are fans' forums. On social media though some morons keep tagging them or go directly to their Twitter or Instagram pages to abuse them, which is another level of pathetic - even if those are being run by a social media manager (and I think not all of them use one), they and their families are definitely seeing at least some of it. I don't know how people have so much time and so little emotional control they HAVE to go look up their instagram, find a pic, and literally vent on their pic. Take a step back from the keyboard ffs!

From when he signed, he seemed like a relatively low profile kind of guy. Yes, he has tattoos and wears bright clothing, but he didn't seem like a PEH type with an imposing personality.

I hope this doesn't hit him too hard.

Back
Top Bottom