Tottenham v Brentford - League Cup semifinal 5th Jan, 19:45

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not all unless you think the diamond gave us entertaining football between January and November 2019

How in earth does a formation NOT determine free flowing or stagnant football?

If you put your most creative AMs as a holding mid, you’re not going to see flair
Cmon Lamela, it's not just about formation.

Under Poch, we had more possession and greater percentage of game played in opponent's final third, than we have had under Jose.
Some people find that more entertaining, personally I don't care either way as long as we win.

I’m replying to your post.

How on earth does a formation NOT determine free flowing or stagnant football?

If you put your most creative AMs as a holding mid, you’re not going to see flair

O
H

M
Y

G
O
D

Are you actually this stupid??

That's players playing out of position. It's not the same thing.

Why don't you start calling for Mourinho to use the formation that guarantees a win in every single game?

Last edited:
Cmon Lamela, it's not just about formation.

Under Poch, we had more possession and greater percentage of game played in opponent's final third, than we have had under Jose.
Some people find that more entertaining, personally I don't care either way as long as we win.
Sorry but it’s not rocket science what I’m saying, so I’ll break it down because people are getting confused for nothing.

Mick prefers “the way we played under Poch”

Sammy says “we didn’t play one way under Poch”

Some of the ways we played under Poch were gooooood

Some of the ways we played under Poch were baaaaaaaaad

So nobody can like “the way” we played under Poch for his whole tenure.

Because there were several “ways”

“The way” implies one way.

That is false

Sorry but it’s not rocket science what I’m saying, so I’ll break it down because people are getting confused for nothing.

That is false
Yeah but you can say that on average we had more possession and had the ball in opponent's final third more.

Who said win?
Some formations are going to give more entertaining football than others.

Stick to grid iron buddy, you’re lost

I was pointing out the incredibly simplistic view you seem to have of how football is played.

'This formation produces entertaining football, that formation produces boring football...'

Bollocks.

The next step on your road of talking absolute shite would be to say that this formation guarantees a 0-0 draw, this guarantees a 2-1 win etc.

Yeah but you can say that on average we had more possession and had the ball in opponent's final third more.
And I can say that despite this “way” we still played really poorly at times.

So it’s all very well, but maybe Mick should have said he “prefers possession in the oppo half even if we lose” then if that’s the case

That is false

That’s funny because you claim formation doesn’t effect whether football will be free flowing or defensive

LOL

It depends what the players are asked to do or are capable of doing within that formation.

You've got to be taking the piss. I can't believe that you're actually this stupid.

You do know, for example, that in order to win a football match a team has to score more goals than the opposition, don't you?

I'm asking because I'm trying to figure out where your understanding of football begins, if at all.

Precisely
You don’t understand that some formations allow for free flowing football and some don’t

You're either absolutely fucking stupid or you're a troll.

Possibly both.

I can't be bothered putting up with the unbelievable shite you're spewing out any longer.

It's time for you to join the dickhead list.

It depends what the players are asked to do or are capable of doing within that formation.
And if you play your best AM in a diamond on the half way line and ask him not to venture forward, then that formation is stifling him more than if he’s playing in a front three attacking role.

That’s the point of a formation.
To define your players roles.

Is this conversation actually happening?

Not one to get involved in arguments on internet forums but seen this kind of thing a lot on here and dunno what the issue is.

It's obvious to anybody with two eyes and a brain that the football we've play under Jose this season has been for the most part unadventurous. I would go as far to say that's objective.

There is an absolute chasm in the different approaches of Mourinho and Pochettino - good days and bad days aside.

Personally the enjoyment has been sucked out of watching us to a certain extent with JM at the helm. Interestingly I don't even think Mourinho particularly likes how we play which begs the question, what is he doing about it?

There is an absolute chasm in the different approaches of Mourinho and Pochettino - good days and bad days aside.
Who’s debating that?

Ive asked exactly what “way” Mick preferred under Poch. Still waiting for someone to explain how you can lump the Real 3-1 Chelsea 5-3 and City 4-1 into this mythical same “way” as say Ajax ?

City we had less possession and less shots (46% and 15 shots to their 22)
Real we had 37% and 10 shots to their 20

Chelsea we had 46% possession and 11 shots to their 19

Ajax we had 60% possession and 24 shots to their 16

I’d like to know which “way” Mick prefers because one approach was clearly giving up possession and hitting counters....

DOH!!

Back
Top Bottom