Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He can only play what is I front of him. If he had a stinker everyone would say he couldn’t even do it against marine. He needs a chance in the PL. surely Brentford game he could have come on?

Surely what we need to be successful is for players to be knocking on the dot of the first 11. Otherwise everyone just says so and so doesn’t deserve a place in the PL 11.

Dele was Man Of The Match for me but the role he played today isn’t what’s going to get him on the pitch in the bigger matches. Out of necessity, he needed to be our main creator, I was hoping to see Dele play more off the ball and in the box.

Gedson I believe was suppose to be the other ‘creative’ midfielder who would relieve Dele, but he was well off for most of the match.

Sure it's only Marine, but was Lucas or Bale better? He was head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch.

If he can get his head in gear, he'd be our third best attacker, no doubt about it. I don't just say it based off this game.

Maybe have him play him in a hybrid role of what Ndombele and Son do now. Dele takes on some creative workload and does the runs in behind like Son.

Ndombele drops deep in place of Sissoko. Keep Bergwijn wide, away from the box, doing the crossing and tracking back, which can do quite well.

I think Dele had a great game, MOTM for me. The main thing I noticed was that he really seemed up for it, he was constantly wanted to be involved and was making some good runs.
I still hope he can turn things around and force himself into the side more.

Its Marine caveat aside I thought today I saw the player he was. lots of swagger on the ball yes, but also legs, hard running and most importantly constantly keeping it short and sharp. A touch a look then pass. If he keeps doing this he can be an asset. His best game is about movement he hasn't got the pace to trick and beat you but if he's moving he can get the yard to pass shoot or find the pocket of space. I'm not sure Jose has given up on him at all. Even hauling him on 65 felt like the N'dombele programme

Last edited:
I think Dele had a great game, MOTM for me. The main thing I noticed was that he really seemed up for it, he was constantly wanted to be involved and was making some good runs.
I still hope he can turn things around and force himself into the side more.
It was like this game from 2018 against Leicester. Kane and Eriksen didn't start. Dele took on the role of Eriksen as the creative force and Son took on Kane's role as the goal scorer. We beat Leicester 0-2, with Dele running the show.

Sure it was only Marine, but very definitely our main creative player tonight - especially in the first half.

And 2 of his passes were excellent and difficult to pull off in any match against any opposition.

Can he repeat this, and no silly flicks ? If so he is a great option in the first team whether starting or off the bench - aside from Ndombele there is no creative player on the same level as Dele ,probably not even Lo Celso, and if he gets back to scoring goals as well........a great 3rd goal scorer after Kane and Son that we need to take the burden off those two.

Certainly think that as the top class creative goalscorer he could be he's be difficult to replace for under £80m+, and I can't see the likes of PSG wanting or being able to pay us that kind of money.

It was noticeable that we were better before his substitution. Not sure why he was subbed as it is not as if he will be starting Wednesday or next weekend.
Might be the sub against Villa. Also, just because he's not played a lot recently doesn't necessarily mean he should play the full 90, might pull something doing that.

Unless Dele is sold for a lot of money (£80m +) and we can buy an HG of similar quality (but who ?), I'm not sure we can afford to let him leave this month if we want any creativity in the team.

Lo Celso has been injured a lot already so far (hence even when played its often off the bench - rarely has he completed 90 minutes this season.

Add to that Lamela is always picking up injuries, Bale has yet to find any form this season and if Ndombele picks up an injury (and its rare so far for him to complete 90 minutes or play more than one game without a 6 or 7 day break before the next one) then we could be reliant upon....... Dele being here to play a CM role.

Or we play Sissoko, Winks and Hojbjerg as a midfield with minimal creativity (or goals) or need to shoehorn Bergwijn or Moura into a creative no 10 role.

Of course if PSG want to give us £100m (preferably up front) for Dele, we might be able to find options to cover us.

But rumours suggest they want Dele on loan. So that's a big 'No' from me as it leaves us with too few creative players (given we cannot rely on Lo Celso, Lamela or Bale to remain fit).

But that also means we need to see Dele being played at Spurs more than he has been so far this season.

It was noticeable that we were better before his substitution. Not sure why he was subbed as it is not as if he will be starting Wednesday or next weekend.

Jose said post match that he was trying to protect some of his creative players from potential rash challenges towards the end of the game and also the pitch conditions.

If we sell Dele and buy Grealish for his fee plus some cash, wouldn't everyone here take it and run?

That's what we should be looking to do. Dele is good but he's more valuable to a different squad than ours, where he can really only play as a rotation player.

If we sell Dele and buy Grealish for his fee plus some cash, wouldn't everyone here take it and run?

That's what we should be looking to do. Dele is good but he's more valuable to a different squad than ours, where he can really only play as a rotation player.
That assumes Dele's sale fee "plus some cash" would be enough.

Grealish is catergorically not up for sale. It would go into the £100m range, possibly higher. Wages would be similarly outrageous, he's got a nice deal at Villa, and we won't be able to improve it greatly.

Dele won't even fetch 50m in the current market.

Back
Top Bottom