Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

With Lamela now helpfully banished for good and Gio turning out to be a crock, I think it would be a waste selling him now while we’re still in 4 competitions. He’s better than Lucas and if he finds form - could be our most creative attacking player

Constant sick notes from Lo Celso and Lamela. Ndombele can't play every game.

Can't see us selling Dele unless we get a significant offer we cannot refuse.

Lloris
Aurier - Toby - Dier - Reggie
PEH
Ndombele - Alli
Bale - Kane - Son

Is this our dream 11?

Clearly unbalanced in that Aurier and Reggie like to form part of the attack. This requires players to drop back and cover for them - which Ndombele, Bale, Son, Kane and Alli are not playing to their strengths.

I'd love to see a flat back 4 with PEH in front of them. Allow the other 5 players to fully attack; with one of them dropping into midfield to distribute the ball forward. However,; whilst this may suit Aurier who is a great tackler; Davies could be a better option than Reggie if we are asking him to stay back and cover defence.

Constant sick notes from Lo Celso and Lamela. Ndombele can't play every game.

Can't see us selling Dele unless we get a significant offer we cannot refuse.

Lloris
Aurier - Toby - Dier - Reggie
PEH
Ndombele - Alli
Bale - Kane - Son

Is this our dream 11?

Clearly unbalanced in that Aurier and Reggie like to form part of the attack. This requires players to drop back and cover for them - which Ndombele, Bale, Son, Kane and Alli are not playing to their strengths.

I'd love to see a flat back 4 with PEH in front of them. Allow the other 5 players to fully attack; with one of them dropping into midfield to distribute the ball forward. However,; whilst this may suit Aurier who is a great tackler; Davies could be a better option than Reggie if we are asking him to stay back and cover defence.

It cant be our dream 11 because Dele is in there.

Of our last 14 games he's played a significant portion of two - Ludogoretz and Stoke - shit teams, but I thought he was good in both games. Ran beyond the defence, slipped balls through to the striker, worked hard. Those games apart he's not really played.

Last season, Mourinho comes in and he's very good vs WH, Burnley, Bournemouth, scores in a bad display vs United, Brighton etc. until Kane was injured against Southampton and his performance level nosedives. Our play in the ensuing months is brutal, Son (when fit) and Lo Celso the only players really performing to a suitable level. No direction to anything we were doing. Dele is mostly frozen out from Lockdown on.

We say he's been shit for 2.5 years, but the run of muscle injuries he suffered from Sept-Feb 18/19 has a lot to do with that imo. 3 hamstring injuries and a thigh muscle injury, and I think we saw results of that in his diminished intensity on the field. The three seasons preceding these injuries he totals (PL only) 9g13a, 18g11a, 12g10a.

We've not seen him in the team much with Ndombele, Hojbjerg, Reguilon, Kane, Son, Bergwijn all together. I think his running beyond the defence provides another target for Kane when dropping deep and playing through balls. I like the idea of him linking with Ndombele on the field. I honestly think the player is being woefully mismanaged and he has the ability to be our third best g/a contributor, he just hasn't at all been granted an opportunity to build match fitness and prove himself. I get the issues people have with his play, they annoy me too, but the narrative against Dele is wrong, we'll finish higher in the table if we start using him imo. His movement off the ball is levels above Gio, Bergwijn and Ndombele in the spaces around the striker. I think Mourinho has little time for him though, I can't imagine his frustration with tactics have helped him much.
This is far to logical balanced and nuanced. You should probably get some kind of card preferably red.

I think you're underestimating how highly Pochettino rates Dele. He said many a time when he was here that he thought Dele was as important to the team as Kane and that he predicted Dele would captain the team one day. This is quite clearly a transfer that has been in the pipeline for some time, I'd wager it's almost a certainty he goes there.

Could easily see Poch attempting to put together a front four of Di Maria, Dele, Neymar; Mbappé.
Dele does not belong in that company get a grip.

Though it is a much easier league so who knows.

Dele does not belong in that company get a grip.

Though it is a much easier league so who knows.
I didn’t say he does.

He would probably do very well though. His tricks and flicks off the cuff style of play would surely link up very well with Neymar and co. Plus as you say the intensity of the league is a level below the PL.

I've said this before but even if he doesn't start there is no way he can't offer something off the bench.

Not having him in the squads is just a total waste and benefits neither him our us. 4 competitions to compete in there is no reason why he can't play a role here.

Last edited:
Still think if he doesn't leave and sees enough of the field he'll be our third best goal/assist contributor. Don't see any sense in letting him go this month.

Back
Top Bottom