Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dele is a gonna, dier situation is he is learning on the job, in which he is three months in.

Dele has done nought for over 2 1/2 years to arrest his rut, and all you got from him during last season, is the big 'i am', stropping, not helping team mates, constant jestering of the arms in dissatisfaction.

Even if poch was here fitting in the team would of been a headache.
That's not true.

Dier played most of his career as CB going back to Sporting Lisbon.

It's only because he spent more games as DM in poch days that spurs fans see him as a midfielder.

What has Dele done in the last 2 years apart from a purple patch in November/December 2020 and 1 or 2 other isolated games which means he deserves to start?
He's been awful for 2 years and his career is stalling.
Move is best for all parties.
I encourage people to watch a match in its entirity where he plays and see how he actually provides very little. Sloppy passer , Horrific shooting and gives the ball away so much.

What has Dele done in the last 2 years apart from a purple patch in November/December 2020 and 1 or 2 other isolated games which means he deserves to start?
He's been awful for 2 years and his career is stalling.
Move is best for all parties.
I encourage people to watch a match in its entirity where he plays and see how he actually provides very little. Sloppy passer , Horrific shooting and gives the ball away so much.
Of our last 14 games he's played a significant portion of two - Ludogoretz and Stoke - shit teams, but I thought he was good in both games. Ran beyond the defence, slipped balls through to the striker, worked hard. Those games apart he's not really played.

Last season, Mourinho comes in and he's very good vs WH, Burnley, Bournemouth, scores in a bad display vs United, Brighton etc. until Kane was injured against Southampton and his performance level nosedives. Our play in the ensuing months is brutal, Son (when fit) and Lo Celso the only players really performing to a suitable level. No direction to anything we were doing. Dele is mostly frozen out from Lockdown on.

We say he's been shit for 2.5 years, but the run of muscle injuries he suffered from Sept-Feb 18/19 has a lot to do with that imo. 3 hamstring injuries and a thigh muscle injury, and I think we saw results of that in his diminished intensity on the field. The three seasons preceding these injuries he totals (PL only) 9g13a, 18g11a, 12g10a.

We've not seen him in the team much with Ndombele, Hojbjerg, Reguilon, Kane, Son, Bergwijn all together. I think his running beyond the defence provides another target for Kane when dropping deep and playing through balls. I like the idea of him linking with Ndombele on the field. I honestly think the player is being woefully mismanaged and he has the ability to be our third best g/a contributor, he just hasn't at all been granted an opportunity to build match fitness and prove himself. I get the issues people have with his play, they annoy me too, but the narrative against Dele is wrong, we'll finish higher in the table if we start using him imo. His movement off the ball is levels above Gio, Bergwijn and Ndombele in the spaces around the striker. I think Mourinho has little time for him though, I can't imagine his frustration with tactics have helped him much.

Guardian reporting that he's set to start tomorrow. Hopefully Ndombele beside Hojbjerg and Alli further upfield, but wouldn't surprise me to see him starting at the expense of Bergwijn. Hopefully he performs well.

Guardian reporting that he's set to start tomorrow. Hopefully Ndombele beside Hojbjerg and Alli further upfield, but wouldn't surprise me to see him starting at the expense of Bergwijn. Hopefully he performs well.
It would make sense to start him, we need players who can dribble and pass quickly. Dele hasn't been great at either this season but he's better than Lucas/Bergwijn.

I see Jose trying something different to outsmart Bielsa. Maybe a back 3 like at Wolves in a 3412 type.

Of our last 14 games he's played a significant portion of two - Ludogoretz and Stoke - shit teams, but I thought he was good in both games. Ran beyond the defence, slipped balls through to the striker, worked hard. Those games apart he's not really played.

Last season, Mourinho comes in and he's very good vs WH, Burnley, Bournemouth, scores in a bad display vs United, Brighton etc. until Kane was injured against Southampton and his performance level nosedives. Our play in the ensuing months is brutal, Son (when fit) and Lo Celso the only players really performing to a suitable level. No direction to anything we were doing. Dele is mostly frozen out from Lockdown on.

We say he's been shit for 2.5 years, but the run of muscle injuries he suffered from Sept-Feb 18/19 has a lot to do with that imo. 3 hamstring injuries and a thigh muscle injury, and I think we saw results of that in his diminished intensity on the field. The three seasons preceding these injuries he totals (PL only) 9g13a, 18g11a, 12g10a.

We've not seen him in the team much with Ndombele, Hojbjerg, Reguilon, Kane, Son, Bergwijn all together. I think his running beyond the defence provides another target for Kane when dropping deep and playing through balls. I like the idea of him linking with Ndombele on the field. I honestly think the player is being woefully mismanaged and he has the ability to be our third best g/a contributor, he just hasn't at all been granted an opportunity to build match fitness and prove himself. I get the issues people have with his play, they annoy me too, but the narrative against Dele is wrong, we'll finish higher in the table if we start using him imo. His movement off the ball is levels above Gio, Bergwijn and Ndombele in the spaces around the striker. I think Mourinho has little time for him though, I can't imagine his frustration with tactics have helped him much.
Those numbers you quoted are a result of erikssen and dembele, providing the base for dele to shine.

You can thank ndombele for dele not getting in the team, in an ideal world ndombele is our playmaker, with dele and le celso as our number 10 or third midfielder.

Jose is indulging ndombele as part of the clear the air talks and le celso constantly breaking down.
Dele simply needs to get his head down, work even harder and make himself undroppable.

I just don't see how Dele fits in the team. I really don't.

Lloris
Alderweireld - Dier - Rodon
Aurier - Dele - Hojbjerg - Ndombele - Reguilon
Kane - Son
Perhaps?

But he's never going to start Ndombele and Hojbjerg together in a 4231 (Because he hasn't in the 26 or so games we've played all season) unless of course Dele is starting INSTEAD of Ndombele. Which by this point would be an abomination.

I just don't see how Dele fits in the team. I really don't.

Lloris
Alderweireld - Dier - Rodon
Aurier - Dele - Hojbjerg - Ndombele - Reguilon
Kane - Son
Perhaps?

But he's never going to start Ndombele and Hojbjerg together in a 4231 (Because he hasn't in the 26 or so games we've played all season) unless of course Dele is starting INSTEAD of Ndombele. Which by this point would be an abomination.
Knowing Jose it'll probably instead of Ndombele.
And he will go back to Sissoko and Hojbjerg together

That is a strong line up 3 at the back negates needing 2 sitting CMs meaning no need for winks or sissoko. Dele will be fighting for starting spot with Gio in that formation.

That is a strong line up 3 at the back negates needing 2 sitting CMs meaning no need for winks or sissoko. Dele will be fighting for starting spot with Gio in that formation.

It helps that Dele tends to run more than everyone else in the team (even when out of form).

But 'No Farah' hasn't scored 64 goals and got 56 assists in 233 appearances for Spurs or on the Spurs payroll.

So I'm not surprised.

But 'No Farah' hasn't scored 64 goals and got 56 assists in 233 appearances for Spurs or on the Spurs payroll.

So I'm not surprised

So I'm not surprised.
Stick to baseball

I think it allows son and Kane to play up top and may be pull wide and dele making his trade mark runs late into the box with good balls hopefully from the wide areas and ndombele . Also I think 3CBs prbly makes us better defensively than having sissoko and / or winks in midfield. Out our possesion dele drops back in CM making 3 and in procession. Dier comes into CM. Could work if they have been practising in training to make it work. That’s one of the big criticisms of JM no sure they do any work other than the low block setup and counter. Hope I’m wrong!

Hopefully not,

If we are sitting GLC for Dele for any reason then injury then we are truly fucked.

Mourinho changed things after the Spammers match and it worked but it is not now and is experienced enough to know he has to make changes again. With Lo Celso and Bale injured this should give Dele chances even if it is to replace Ndombele on 60 mins.

Starting Dele as our third forward makes sense imo. None of the others are contributing goals or assists and we know as recently as last season Alli can be very productive. He was renowned for his pressing once upon a time so defensive work shouldn't be an issue and he is also not afraid to run in behind.

Maybe it's just a case of absence making the heart grow stronger but as frustrating as he can be to watch, I'd love to see him back in he team and firing on all cylinders

Back
Top Bottom