Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's odd but I think he's well suited to how we play now. Kane drops deep and only has Son running beyond him, an action Ndombele is unsuited for. Dele playing the Tanguy role gives Kane two good targets running beyond him, and he's capable of any pressing Ndombele gets through. I think we'll end up 5th or 6th if we don't find alternatives to the goal involvement Dele would provide.

Imperfect player and maybe not suited the coach we have but I'm fairly adamant he'd be a valuable asset to us were he used more often.

But then you get rid of Ndombele for an inferior player.

Which again, weakens us.

4231 doesn't suit us or the players we have. So the quicker we get rid of it, the better.

We'll sell Dele (permanently or on loan) and he'll go and score loads and assist loads.

And you'll get people on here saying it was a bad decision. Probably the same lot who think signing Fernandes would have seen him come here, transform us and score and assist goals at will.

Dele isn't suited to our play. He may be suited to someone else's play, be made the main man and score and assist. That'll be good for him. But it isn't happening here.

Think one of the points in this whole topic is that our style of play (in certain games) needs working on - we need to have a better balance between attack/defense against lesser opponents and making room for a player like Dele might be a way to tip that balance in our favour.

I happen to think he could slot in, in attack alongside Son/Kane in such games, no need for our third forward to be there for defensive ability in games we are going to dominate - get someone effective in attack so we can break teams down. He could also play as the furthest forward of the middle 3, at the expense of Sissoko who is not needed alongside Hojberg in games where we are expected to be on the ball. Hojberg + Ndombele with Dele in front - it'd work, imo

Requires the manager to not be so negative in his approach though.

Last edited:
Think one of the points in this whole topic is that our style of play (in certain games) needs working on - we need to have a better balance between attack/defense against lesser opponents and making room for a player like Dele might be a way to tip that balance in our favour.

We just need to actually be sensible and play the formation that actually suits the players we have. 433.

A formation Dele doesn't fit into. Unless he adapts his game to that of a box to box midfielder, but don't expect spectacular goal involvement or a wide forward, which I don't think he's got the ability to play.

We don't play a successful 4231 anymore nor do we play on the front foot. So Dele is just a shadow.

We just need to actually be sensible and play the formation that actually suits the players we have. 433.

A formation Dele doesn't fit into. Unless he adapts his game to that of a box to box midfielder, but don't expect spectacular goal involvement or a wide forward, which I don't think he's got the ability to play.

We don't play a successful 4231 anymore nor do we play on the front foot. So Dele is just a shadow.

I edited my post whilst you were responding - i think he fits in to a 433 in both the front 3 and the middle 3 if the manager is willing to approach games in a more positive fashion - and i think that is required if we are going to progress.

I edited my post whilst you were responding - i think he fits in to a 433 in both the front 3 and the middle 3 if the manager approaches games in a more positive fashion - and i think that is required if we are going to progress.

I'm not sure he fits there to be honest.

And if we can get decent money for him, I'd always look to upgrade and sign someone who DOES fit there.

Unless Dele can get 15+ league goals and a few assists again, he's always going to be shat on. He needs a fresh break, fresh team, fresh league and just start again.

PSG would be perfect for him.

But then you get rid of Ndombele for an inferior player.

Which again, weakens us.

4231 doesn't suit us or the players we have. So the quicker we get rid of it, the better.
Yeah, maybe I just find it tough watching our games but Ndombele is really not well suited to playing so high up the field. Alli at 10, Ndombele beside Hojbjerg and use January funds on CB's that can move. I do think there's a second wind in Dele though.

Yeah, maybe I just find it tough watching our games but Ndombele is really not well suited to playing so high up the field. Alli at 10, Ndombele beside Hojbjerg and use January funds on CB's that can move. I do think there's a second wind in Dele though.

Mourinho will never play Ndombele deeper though. For whatever reason he doesn't trust him defensively this year. Despite him pressing like a mad man as our most offensive player.

Ndombeles ability suits him to play deeper. Takes the ball off the defenders, drives forward, counters a press and off we go.

Maybe the fact we don't play through midfield is why we don't play Ndombele deeper? Who knows.

Ndombele needs to be on the ball deeper, the recent trend of him playing higher up doesn't work as we're losing too much in our ability to progress the ball to the final third

I'm not sure he fits there to be honest.

And if we can get decent money for him, I'd always look to upgrade and sign someone who DOES fit there.

Unless Dele can get 15+ league goals and a few assists again, he's always going to be shat on. He needs a fresh break, fresh team, fresh league and just start again.

PSG would be perfect for him.
Dele will get those numbers if played with Kane /Son and with players like Ndombele deeper progessing the ball forward.

PSG is a perfect fit for Dele because in the 95% of the game in which he does nothing because of a combination of laziness and especially his complete lack of understanding on what he should do, PSG is so much better than the majority of the teams that they play it won't hurt them.

Plus with Neymar and Mbappe there they can open up the defense enough that Dele will be able to get open by default without actually having to read the defense to find openings.

Also there will be plenty of tap ins for him to score after Neymar, Mbappe, Verratti, Di Maria have done all the hard work to create the goals.

Neymar might get pissed off wathcing Dele waste chances with his stupid flicks to the opposition but he likely will be able to just run over, take the ball off Dele and actually do something useful with it after he realizes Dele offers nothing on (or off) the ball.

Mourinho will never play Ndombele deeper though. For whatever reason he doesn't trust him defensively this year. Despite him pressing like a mad man as our most offensive player.

Ndombeles ability suits him to play deeper. Takes the ball off the defenders, drives forward, counters a press and off we go.

Maybe the fact we don't play through midfield is why we don't play Ndombele deeper? Who knows.
Yeah, I talk in circles about this stuff. Still don't see that Mourinho has any plan for us beyond Kane lobbing a ball through to Son then protecting the lead. Could see Ndombele leaving in the summer and I wouldn't much blame him.

Not bothered about PSG, not really bothered about Dele but I am bothered about Tottenham. To me if he goes on loan or is sold we will not get someone better to replace him in January. That will leave the squad weaker and if we get more injuries/covid/ suspensions we need him to play his part. The players he is competing with Ndombele, Lo Celso & Lamela are all injury prone and I think Mourinho has made his point to Dele and now should use him to rest players when necessary.

Not bothered about PSG, not really bothered about Dele but I am bothered about Tottenham. To me if he goes on loan or is sold we will not get someone better to replace him in January. That will leave the squad weaker and if we get more injuries/covid/ suspensions we need him to play his part. The players he is competing with Ndombele, Lo Celso & Lamela are all injury prone and I think Mourinho has made his point to Dele and now should use him to rest players when necessary.

I am pretty sure if Dele is sold we can bring in someone to offer the nothing that he currently offers us.

Not sure about that.

He hasn't looked like getting those numbers for coming up to 4 years.
I would argue after his first three productive seasons playing in attack his role was changed out of necessity where he was more involved deeper in build up play and pressing opponents - much to the detriment of his attacking numbers.

Play him advanced with a good midfield behind him and I'm sure his form will return. Got to give him that chance though

If a team takes a calculated risk and builds around him, he’ll fly. If they try to change him, he’ll fail.

Are we now too big to build around a single player? Almost certainly. You can be massive and build around a single player if that player is Messi or Cristiano, but anything less than that and you are asking for trouble.

A mid table side somewhere would bring the very best out of him.

100% - selling Dele and keeping instead shitters like Lucas, Sissoko and Winks would be laughable. Berg still young deserves another season but the other 3 are finished
It’s at a stage now where the “Dele is a top talent but lazy” argument isn’t valid now.

He is in fact a boring, predictable and lazy player that had a good season four years ago.
That’s where his story ends.

Still trying to come to terms with him being shite for three years, yet he’ll stroll into the Champions League runners up first eleven after a £50m transfer.

The way he used to play, £50m is a snip. The way he’s been playing in the last couple of seasons, he gets nowhere near their first team.

Yeah, I talk in circles about this stuff. Still don't see that Mourinho has any plan for us beyond Kane lobbing a ball through to Son then protecting the lead. Could see Ndombele leaving in the summer and I wouldn't much blame him.
Agree I can see a few players who would as well especially if no trophies which a lot is posters think is gauranteed under JM.

Back
Top Bottom