January 2021 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agree, either a very negative poster or a WUM looking at he's posts.
I hate to shit in the punch but I was told this is indeed a fall back position. That we talked seriously with Ings he was told this was and option an was not afraid of being Kanes understudy slash replacement. I posted it on this thread (all ITK) at the time. Levy has quietly faced the nightmare that is Kane succession planning. All the while OBVIOUSLY hoping we win big and keep both.

Doubt many will agree but I have this weird feeling it will end up being between Leicester and City in the end.

I just think that Leicester will be determined not to drop off like last season and to be fair they are probably the best coached team at the moment in the top 6.

Disagree although I totally rate Rodgers. Super coach.

I think they rely so much on Vardy that the demands on him will be too great.

I also think they will hit rough ground.

But properly nearing B7 status in my opinion.

The bloke we should have had is playing at Man City.....
We just can't afford to have a squad full of 60-70m+ players. Imagine he took another year to settle just like Ndombele.

We have to play smarter than City in the transfer market. Leicester is a good example, they've completely outdone us in the last few years. Maddison, Fofana, Tielemans, Castagne, Ricardo Pereria, all would have been excellent, cheap options for us but we either failed to get them or even look at them.

When’s he said anything like that?
I’m not criticising him.

He’s apparently said he needs someone who can come in, lead the line and improve the entire defence. That would mean someone experienced, in their mid twenties that has the ability to immediately improve us.

That’s extremely hard to come by. And expensive.

Which is the basic problem.

Jose is essentially saying ‘ we need the best CB in the world’.

What he wants will cost near 100 million.
Not necessarily the best, but top quality.

Skriniar would qualify, maybe upamecano. Can't think of any from PL.

Could likely cost 50m+ but doubt any CB will go for 100m in the current market

Upamecano would not lead our defence. He's good but that is not his role at Leipzig.

Upamecano has freedom to roam in the Leipzig defence. The defensive line is lead by Willi Orban. Which is a name we should be looking at since his contract at Leipzig is also entering its final year.

Sure, agreed.

Yes, £100 million was an exaggeration considering the state of the market. It just feels like he’s after what everyone wants - the Van Dijk-like signing that will effortlessly fit into the team.

There aren’t many of them about.

Upamecano would not lead our defence. He's good but that is not his role at Leipzig.

Upamecano has freedom to roam in the Leipzig defence. The defensive line is lead by Willi Orban. Which is a name we should be looking at since his contract at Leipzig is also entering its final year.
Orban is too slow. The CB needs to be able to recover quickly from a highline

Orban is too slow. The CB needs to be able to recover quickly from a highline
Upamecano may have pace. But he is based on what I have seen not positionally aware enough to make these recoveries consistently either.

When Leipzig went to Old Trafford this fall he was more or less at fault for all of United's goals. And against Dortmund recently he was legitimately lost for all of Dortmund's goals. One two of them he was lost up field to add to that. Leaving his partner to try and defend the box on his own.

I get that Upamecano is the new hot shit and on his day he is phenomenal. But whenever I have watched Leipzig this season (and I try to watch a fair bit since they have a guy from my neck of the woods in their attack) he looks way too inconsistent for me to be comfortable throwing the money they request at him.

He is still young and developing but he is not the guy I would bring in and expect to lead my defence. I would have him next to a defensive leader, but not as one.

Back
Top Bottom