Carlos Vinicius

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Got to put that header in the back of the net towards the end of the game.

If he's seriously worth 40 million you have to bury those.
Needs game time to get match fit. We also need to create more chances generally. Can't blame a rusty player for missing their one chance on goal.

Shame, I feel for him, but he really shoulda scored that header tonight.
Would have made all the difference... but then again, might have bought Jose an extra few weeks in charge.... so maybe Vini had a bigger plan in mind?!!!

Another managerial misstep not bedding this guy into the PL. He won't be here beyond the summer but a Kane injury was always possible and it has left us with a deep void through the middle.

Can't really blame him for anything yesterday.

It was an embarrassing team performance, coached by someone so out of their depth in 2021, it's ridiculous. Mourinho evidently hasn't got a clue how to coach a team to press nor how to progress the ball up field without knocking it long.

It's such a shame his header couldn't sneak in so he could celebrate by folding his arms in front of Mourinho and mouthing whatever 'cunt' is in Brazilian.

Soldado brought more to the team than this guy.
He seems a similar level to Janssen. Not good enough.

Balls bounce off him, silly offsides, can't pick a pass, looks lost on the pitch - but does seem to have a snap shot in him, just not sure that's enough with our massive lack of creativity as a side

He certainly isn't clinical enough to score from 1 or 2 half chances a game.. and for a big man, doesn't have much presence on the field.

Not convinced he deserves to start at the weekend. I don't think for this guy its a matter of confidence, more a lack of ability.

I hope he proves me wrong.

He didn’t play well yesterday but I’m sure he realized even a perfect hat trick isn’t doing him too many favours once Kane is back.

Before the Brighton match he had less than 60mins in the league. Even in EL and domestic cup matches he wasn’t being fully trusted; he was getting taken out at half, was pulled early even when we’re up, and subbed right after scoring.

This seems like a failed Mourinho signing (100% not a Levy signing) in the sense that he didn’t do any proper scouting on Vinicius. He got a striker then Vinicius gets to training, Mourinho soon realizes Vinnie’s not the « striker » he was seeking. I’m sure a striker of Llorente’s ilk would suit the manager more.

Him, Bale, Dele, Tanguy last year. When players don't play and then you throw them in and they struggle it's hardly a surprise. You would think a world class manager would know that though.
How many minutes does he need? He has been training and started almost all the cup games.

He simply has limited abilities and no amount of minutes or manager is going to change that.

If we wanted someone that could truly fill in for Kane, we should have signed a better striker.

Felt for him tonight. New league, no service, given scraps to make a name for himself. Hardly seems fair. Jose killing players all over the place right now.
The way we play our forwards (Kane, Son, Vinny, etc.) get maybe 1-3 chances a game to convert. If they convert those 1-3 chances we talk about how lethal they are and how they're the best finishers in Europe. When they don't finish their 1-3 chances, they're shit and not worth playing for Spurs.

The reality is every forward in world football will miss chances and struggle given 1-3 chances per match. The best strikers miss chances, they just miss fewer of them than poor strikers. That's why the best teams try to create a lot of chances for their strikers.

Vinny got a single clear cut chance and he missed it so our fans slag him off. Bergjwin got the same dose in the Liverpool match, he missed on his ONE chance.

Maybe instead of slagging off our players when they miss their one chance a game, we ask that our system be changed so they have more than one opportunity.

How many minutes does he need? He has been training and started almost all the cup games.

He simply has limited abilities and no amount of minutes or manager is going to change that.

If we wanted someone that could truly fill in for Kane, we should have signed a better striker.
This was the striker he wanted though? We were linked to dozens and this is the guy he chose.

What does he expect Lewandowski will come here and spend 90% of his time sat on the bench? You work with what you have as a manager.

He is a reasonable player, strong, holds the ball up well, can pass but he is not Kane and as many have said we are not paying for Haaland to come here and sit on the bench.

The system needs to produce more than 1 chance every 1-2 games as others have mentioned. In my opinion he has more talent than Jansen, Soldado or Lorentte in that he can do a bit of everything. I am fine with him as backup I am not fine with the system he plays in.

The way we play our forwards (Kane, Son, Vinny, etc.) get maybe 1-3 chances a game to convert. If they convert those 1-3 chances we talk about how lethal they are and how they're the best finishers in Europe. When they don't finish their 1-3 chances, they're shit and not worth playing for Spurs.

The reality is every forward in world football will miss chances and struggle given 1-3 chances per match. The best strikers miss chances, they just miss fewer of them than poor strikers. That's why the best teams try to create a lot of chances for their strikers.

Vinny got a single clear cut chance and he missed it so our fans slag him off. Bergjwin got the same dose in the Liverpool match, he missed on his ONE chance.

Maybe instead of slagging off our players when they miss their one chance a game, we ask that our system be changed so they have more than one opportunity.

Makes you realise how good Kane is. Still scores with fuck all service.

This was the striker he wanted though? We were linked to dozens and this is the guy he chose.

What does he expect Lewandowski will come here and spend 90% of his time sat on the bench? You work with what you have as a manager.
This is such a wrong cliche - unless a manager has an unlimited budget and every player wants to play for the manager/club, there is no such thing. Every player signed is under the constraint of budget, availability and willingness. We paid €3m loan fee, so how many players are available and willing in that range?

Yes you work with what you have, but managers are not miracle workers. A big part of the difference between top clubs and bottom clubs is the quality of their players. This is a player that was sold by Napoli after just one season in which he spent the entirety of it out on loan at two clubs (evidence of a bad buy). He has struggled at other levels above the portuguese primeira liga (Monaco, Napoli), yet some of you expect Mourinho to work some miracle and turn him into a PL level backup striker.

If we had other departments firing on all cylinders (e.g. reguilon delivering good crosses), he might have been serviceable as a big body upfront but we dont have that as injuries to GLC, Kane and Reguilon has robbed us of our many sources of creating chances. Add that Son is also limited in build up play, and the outcome is quite predictable.

He is a reasonable player, strong, holds the ball up well, can pass but he is not Kane and as many have said we are not paying for Haaland to come here and sit on the bench.

The system needs to produce more than 1 chance every 1-2 games as others have mentioned. In my opinion he has more talent than Jansen, Soldado or Lorentte in that he can do a bit of everything. I am fine with him as backup I am not fine with the system he plays in.
So what happened with him at Monaco? Why did Napoli sell him after just one season which he spent the entirety out on loan?

He is nothing close to the likes Soldado (59 goals in 101 games forValencia) or llorente (15/33 for Swansea), both of which were regular starters for good la liga teams. Even Janzen was decent in the eredivisie.

You cannot create as many chances when your creative players are out injured and your squad quality is limited.

So what happened with him at Monaco? Why did Napoli sell him after just one season which he spent the entirety out on loan?

He is nothing close to the likes Soldado (59 goals in 101 games forValencia) or llorente (15/33 for Swansea), both of which were regular starters for good la liga teams. Even Janzen was decent in the eredivisie.

You cannot create as many chances when your creative players are out injured and your squad quality is limited.

He was good in Portugal but his past is by the by it’s what he does with us. He is quick, strong and can pass well and gotten a few goals for us in cup games.

Janssen: strong as an Ox but couldn’t finish
Soldado: tidy but weaker than a paper bag in a storm
Llorennte: was good in his day but was to old and immobile by the time he came to us although he did help in the Ajax game.

He in my view has less downsides than those three and we are not getting a world class striker to play back up to Kane. We need much more to fix CB.

I don't really see it tbh. He does some things ok, sometimes, such as hold up play by his sheer size, and his goals tally in cups has been useful so far, and lack of game time and rhythm doesn't help, but that's about all you can say for him.

The stellar hold up play that some claim he has is a rather shaky claim, it's as likely to bounce off him with a crap touch or him to get dominated by a defender as it is to stick. He has absolutely no idea how and when to run (he'd rival Defoe in offsides) and I don't see much in his general touch, passing, and movement. Against anyone half decent he hasn't done a thing.

Then there is his age. I assumed he was like 21-22, actually he's about to turn 26. For a player at that age, and for the fee we'd apparently have to play, way way too much polish is required still to make him a player.

Back
Top Bottom