FA Cup - Everton Vs Tottenham, Wed 10th Feb 8:15pm (BT Sport).

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who goes through?

• Total voters
It was 100% a pen.

I hate these scenarios being given as pens, I don't agree with them at all. But these are given as pens today, in fact, I'll be so bold as to say that with the extreme levels of inconsistency that are seen with/without VAR from game to game right now, that this type of decision has to be the most consistent. Rarely, if ever do you not see that scenario not given as a pen.
I 100% disagree that it was a penalty offence, as both players looked at the ball and not each other.
Beyond that, my opinion is worthless, as it was given and the result stands.

I think we'll win more if we play approach every game like last night - you can get quite far in the PL just by having good forwards and out scoring your opposition (see Man Utd)

The low block / counter style only really suits the games against the teams who either naively attack (Leeds, Woolwich) or the teams who we have no chance of out scoring (City, Liverpool, Utd)

We could of course adapt our style depending on the opposition.......maybe we need to pay more than £15m a year for a manager to do that though
But that style has brought us 2 league cups in 30 year!!! Last night is not the answer. I dont know what is but if we've conceded 5 against a poor team. Who couldnt even fill their bench!! Im venting but jesus im sick of it. Last night probably the worst. They give you hope they can play but then crumble at the first sign of pressure yet again

No idea what the original Tweet was. Probably Liverpool (area) banter, that, of course, the sensitive souls (who front up as not sensitive at all) no doubt lost their shit over because they are insecure.

So, what you’re essentially saying is you could stick anyone (me for example) on the touch line and as long as you have a world class player, you should expect to see results?
Hmmm , no what I’m saying is that three world class players should be able to rustle more than five assists between them against Liverpool twice, Chelsea twice, Utd, City and Woolwich.

That seven games. Five assists and 8 goals between them.
We scored six in one of them games.

It’s just not good enough for our top players to only bulk the stats against relegation fodder and farmers.
Just like Doherty and Hart right

Hmmm , no what I’m saying is that three world class players should be able to rustle more than five assists between them against Liverpool twice, Chelsea twice, Utd, City and Woolwich.

That seven games. Five assists and 8 goals between them.
We scored six in one of them games.

It’s just not good enough for our top players to only bulk the stats against relegation fodder and farmers.
Just like Doherty and Hart right
We’ve had this debate countless times on here though.
Against the top clubs Jose shits himself and tells players not to make mistakes and to defend.
HK you’re more likely to see in his own box than that of the opponents.

release the shackles and then you’ll see the players come out against these teams, with more assists and goals.
Obviously it will have a negative effect defensively though.

We’ve had this debate countless times on here though.
Against the top clubs Jose shits himself and tells players not to make mistakes and to defend.
HK you’re more likely to see in his own box than that of the opponents.

release the shackles and then you’ll see the players come out against these teams, with more assists and goals.
Obviously it will have a negative effect defensively though.
Yeah yeah Jose tells them to miss I’ve heard it before.
I suppose tactics made Kane miss a sitter just before Everton went and won it right.

Or maybe Bernard is world world class because he finished his

What a match. We won't lose many if we play like that each week, except defensive errors we can score goals. Should've scored more even than the 4. We lost but we fucking fought that's all we want.

Lloris, I'm sorry he's frustrating. Keeps you in it with world class saves but then will let a soft goal in. If we had a good keeper lined up next year, getting rid may not be the worst thing in the world.

Sanchez, I just like him. I think he's lacking confidence big time but you can't knock that he tries. Honestly believe showing some belief in him could go a long way. Dier aswell isn't a lost cause. Either way we need a new CB. I think a world class CB with Rodon, Sanchez and Dier in a season isn't the worst thing. Toby for me is finished though, he's lost a yard or two and he's the type that needs that for me to play at the best level. It's about team dynamics and Toby unless he is happy being on the bench could harm things next season. He's not good enough to be out main man anymore.

Aurier and Doherty is fine for next season no panic there. Same as left side, I would rather have Davies move on and Sess and Regi though next season.

One thing I've been thinking a lot is about PEH, he's brilliant. Works so hard for the team but I think he isn't the holding defender he's being looked to be. In my head I'm thinking more like Liverpool years back with Gerrard, Alonso and Mascherano. PEH isn't mascherano in that midfield, he's more of a Gerrard type player. Gerrard could defend, he was box to box though and I've seen enough now from PEH that I think adding a genuine holding midfielder and letting him more licence to roam would help us a lot.

Ndombele and PEH have brilliant games this season yet we're overrun in midfield time after time. Maybe it could be tried this season, Dier could sit as a holding man with Rodon and Sanchez behind as CB. Take some of the defensive strain off PEH in midfield and see what we can do with him and Ndombele pushing more forward. I actually see a bit of Alonso in Ndombele also in the way he can retain the ball.

Long post but ahhhh well

Im at the point now where i would try a CB partnership of Tanganga and Rodon, cant be any worse than what we have got , and at least the will get some experience!

What won’t work at Tottenham?
That three world class players turn up against Liverpool once in a while.

Was it Jose that cost us the CL final too?
Sigh

Either Levy keeps hiring failure managers who can't perform within his very reasonable structure. He's done this for decades = failure. Has to go.

Or Levy's structure isn't working since no manager can succeed under it. In which case he's done this for decades = failure. Has to go.

Or there's a conspiracy where we have had a good enough structure and/or managers but players conspire to down tools?

Which is it?

Levy out or let's all investigate the player conspiracy?

Must be a fun place to be in Sammy's world, where every half and even low quality chance by a Spurs player must always be scored, and every quality move by opposition should never allow us to concede a goal.

It is if he doesn't realise the opposition have players who are trying to stop us scoring, and are actually allowed to play well and take their chances.

And the more often you allow the opposition both the possession and territorial advantage the more often they will take advantage. Best way to stop an opponent from scoring, is actually not allowing them the ball, and when they inevitably do, it as far away from your goal to hurt you.

Last edited:
I think we'll win more if we play / approach every game like last night - you can get quite far in the PL just by having good forwards and out scoring your opposition (see Man Utd)

The low block / counter style only really suits the games against the teams who either naively attack (Leeds, Woolwich) or the teams who we have no chance of out scoring (City, Liverpool, Utd)

We could of course adapt our style depending on the opposition.......maybe we need to pay more than £15m a year for a manager to do that though
We need something the defence is a shambles several players look out of their depth the club is a cluster fuck again.

Back
Top Bottom